Chapter 9

Drawing in a breath of fresh air sucked. It burned like a bitch. Breathing in the water was way better, like my lungs weren't made to breathe air, but water. The air was cold and stale; it took a minute for my lungs to adjust to the sudden oxygen change.

   "I couldn't handle it anymore. Mel's the best, but whats new." I heard Ali say.

   I swam to the edge and was about to pull myself out when a hand appeared in front of my face.

   "Need help?" I looked up to see Zane and my heart skipped a beat. Or six.

   "Sure." His hand was warm as I grabbed it. Then without even trying he pulled me out.

   "Do you have any idea how long you were under?" Ester exclaimed, coming to me.

   "It's hard to keep track of time without a watch."

  "You guys stayed under for over an hour!" Ester bellowed.

   "I told you they didn't drown." Zane said calmly, still holding my hand.

   "Here" Jordan handed me a towel.

   "Thanks chorro(squirt)." I accepted the towel and wrapped it around my shoulders.

   "Congrats Melody." Aliyah smiled.

   "We need to talk."

   "Okay."

   We walked over to the bleachers, I turned and shouted, "Kyle, get your butt over here." He nodded and strode to where we were waiting.

"Let's go to the top." I started climbing the stairs.

   At the top I sat down and said, "Something happened in the water. It was the usual feeling, but stronger.

"So what?" Kyle sat next to me, "I know what you're talking about, but have no clue what happened."

   "All I know is being in the water with you two is an adrenaline rush." Aliyah said, standing. "Mel, since when can you breathe under water?"

 "I don't know. It's new."

 "Maybe it's like the mind trick." Kyle glanced at me.

   "Maybe." Was all I said.

   "We should do a test run." Kyle suggested.

   "Of?" I asked.

   "The mind trick."

   "Why?"

   "We need to learn more about it." Ali reasoned while Kyle nodded. "And by testing we can learn more about it. All great scientists do it."

   "Chica is right and you know it Mel." Kyle added.

    I surrendered. "Fine do whatever."

   "Me first." Aliyah clapped.

   "Make Jordan body slam Declan into the pool." Kyle instructed.

   "No problem." Aliyah winked.

   I spotted Jordan's black hair and found Declan chatting with Dmitri close (too close) to the lip of the pool. Suddenly, Jordan ran full sprint in Declan's direction, and a loud SMACK! echoed. Declan fell and took Jordan with him.

   "Nice." I smiled.

   "Your turn Mel. I want you to make, hmm, Dmitri, make Dmitri kiss Ester then have him shout at the top of his lungs that he's gay." Aliyah and Kyle shared a long laugh.