Chapter 36

VOTE!

COMMENT!

*

Zane had a room that was exactly like mine and Reason's, except it's a bright sun flower yellow with a keyboard piano.

With a single glanc Zane knew something was wrong and he had Oreos and chocolate milk shakes brought to us, the perfect therapy for a hurting teenage girl. I'm feeling in a particularly sharing mood so I told him the whole Reason ordeal. Sitting on his bed I inspect him, reading his expression easily and from what I could tell, Zane is in touch with the fire inside him. It was odd, to watch someone with such innocent and beautiful features become contorted with obvious ferocity.

Confirming my sustain, a strong gust of wind blew my hair back. "He shouldn't be your Beloved Mel." Zane roared.

Hating Hufflepuff. Zayden said. I love having him in my head, voicing his witty comments and easing my tension in many awkward situations.

Then the air was wearily still. "It should be me."

Zayden makes desprate choking sounds, So much sweetness.

I bow my head, "But it's not." I'd adore having a caring Beloved, especially if it were Zane. He's been there for me, always picking me up with a sentimental smile. Zane is my reassurance in life, the comforting friend. Since I've realized Reason and I belong together, I can't even think of another guy in a romantic way. Zane's role in my future remains the same; to be a friend.

He wraps his arm around me, "We could try this over."

I regard him, the tone he used, the gleam in his eye was unsettling. "Zane?"

"No Mel, hear me out. The only reason you pay any attention to him is because he's your Beloved. Face it, if you weren't Beloveds, you two wouldn't look at each other. Maybe you could love someone else, love them so much that you forget all about Reason." Zane's admirable glaze alight with excitement.

Or crazy.

I lean away and remove his arm because my skin is crawling. "Zane, my feelings for you have changed." I pause, "I've chosen another path."

"Don't Disney me now Melody. I'm serious. We were in love once, you could do it again."

Can we leave?

Zane puts his hand on my cheek, closed his eyes, and slowly invades my bubble. Replusion and disgust fill me. No matter our history, and what an amazing guy he is, Zane isn't Reason; I can't kiss him.

I slide away, "Zane, stop."

He, unlike Reason, actually listens, "Sorry Mel."

Put him back in the friendzone in which he tries too hard to escape.

"Can we be friends? Like how we were before you moved and before we dated." I wanted that. The Zane who I used to think of as a brother. Not this Zane who makes advances to me.

He smiles kindly and lays down, "Come here."

I crawl into his open arms. Just like the days when we were kids, nothing awkward or uncomfortable. Only me and Zane. We take turns quoting Star Wars till Squishy fetched me for dinner.

I eat in my room and try to study the book we're supposed to learn. Jordan and Aliyah have already finished it and the piles they carry with them. I can't even begin to comprehend how they remember all the small details they read.

"Melody?" Ali, followed by Kyle, Dmitri, Jordan, Ester and Vivian storm in.

"Is everything okay?" she throughly shocked me with the elated grin that spread across her glowing face.