Chapter 8

Kyle beat me to the school and was already opening the door to the gym. I parked next to his Hummer and turned my car off. I hopped out and ran swiftly to Kyle's side.

   "How did you get the keys? The schools pool isn't open to the public and is shut down for the summer" I explained, walking in.

   "I've got the magic Mel. Well, we have the magic. You and I both know how persuasive we can be when we want something." He answered, walking with me.

   "Kyle! Shh!" I whispered.

   He laughed in the way only Kyle could laugh. "Couldn't resist. Don't hate me Melody. I won't do it again." He promised.

   "You said that last time." I complained.

   "I mean it."

   "Heard that before."

   "Said that before. Trust me Mel, I swear it."

   We are in the pool area.

   "Fine, but never again." I made my way over to the girls' locker room.

   What a great day this has been. First that dumb kiss then the guilt, the fight, and now this. Why would he do this again?

   You have power little wave. Zayden stated.

   You know?

   Of course. I am only in your head.

   You're wandering about what just happened. It's a long, boring story, but one you should know.

   I met Kyle because Ester introduced us. Even at a young age we loved water, it's why I've tolerated him for this long. I remember how we would talk about swimming for hours on end.

    Time went on and our as our swimming abilities grew, we had a... new development. It was about fifth grade, me and Aliyah were in a candy store and this jerk was trying to make me pay ten extra dollars then I owed. I told him to suck a lemon; he got one and started sucking it like a vacuum. Aliyah wanted to see if she could do the same thing; she told the jerk to pay for our candy himself. He did.

   A handful of months after the candy shop incident I saw Kyle doing it to one of the teachers and confronted him about it. He confessed everything. Ali and I did likewise. We tried to see if Ester, Vivian, Declan, or anyone else we knew had the same power, but it was only us. We never told anyone and promised to be careful when using it.

   After that we tested our limits, and it seemed to become stronger as the years went by. When we first started we had to speak our wants, with some practice we merely had to think them.

   For some reason I've always been better at it than Ali and Kyle; it worked for me all the time, even with the most stubborn people.

   When stress kicked in I began to worry and made Aliyah and Kyle promise to not use it again. The main point I did so was because we don't really know anything about it. We don't know how it works, the effects it has, if it's long lasting, nothing really. For him to use it scares me. I do not want to be poked and probbed at like a lab rat.

   "Earth to Melody. Hello? I see the lights on but no one's home." Dmitri waved his hand over my face.

    I blinked and looked around. I had already changed into a black two piece and had all my swimming gear. I was sitting on the bottom bleacher staring off into space. I can't recall changing, or walking, or anything. "Oh. Hey Dmitri."

   "Are you okay? You were staring off into space. Wait, are you psychic? Did you get a vision? Was I in it? Did Ester dump me again?" Dmitri quizzed me.