Chapter 20

Another day, another update.

   Gotta be proud about that! Yeah? No? Don't care? I feel you.

    Vote!

   Comment!

   Follow!

   Be awesome!

   Enjoy!

*

   I bit my lip harshly. His eyes were pools of pitch black. He had a pierced eyebrow and snake bites on his full luscious lips that a boy shouldn't have. Both his ears have multiple piercings, enough to drive airport security mad. The light scent of burning firewood hung in the air around him.

   It's his black gaze that's making me brain dead. I feel extremely drawn by him, as if he's a magnet and I'm the willing safety pin. I chew my bottom lip fiercely, not sure what to do.

   Talk. Zayden suggests gently.

   To this asshole? He's probably a cray-cray sociopath who kicks puppies and slaps babies for fun. On the weekends he sets senators houses on fire and leaves burning dog poop in a paper bag on principles' front yards.

   Do not judge him harshly little wave. You do not know him. Zayden advised.

   Who knows? He could be a nice guy under all that pierced and inked skin.

   "Yo siento. No pretendía hacerte sentir incómodo." I said.(I didnt intend to make you feel uncomfortable.)

   He seemed surprised, "Hablas espanol?" (You speak spanish)

   "It's hard to tell but the human part of me is Puerto Rican." I reply.

   "You certainly have the amazing curves to prove it." Cherry winked. "So, lets see what you all got. Dazzle us."

   "Girl, what are you talking about. Dazzle you? What do you expect us to do? Strip? In that case Ester first." Dmitri laughed, earning a hard punch from Ester. "Kyle, is this what rejection looks like?"

   Kyle thought about it for a second. "Pretty much. Welcome to the club."

   Cherry sighed dramatically, giving me a run for my money. "Not what I meant. Use your powers."

   "Huh?"

   "What?"

   "Crazy woman.."

   "Like we know how."

   Everyone had spoken at once. "Shh!" I hushed them. "Cherry, we haven't gotten ahold of our powers yet."

   "Us either. I assumed that since you were all together you'd have used them by now." Cherry said.

   "We have." Aliyah defensively jumped in, "the small ones. The angels, sing-healing. The wolves, animal talking. The mermaids, mind control. What can you guys do?"

   Anna giggled. "We can kill things!"

   "La niña me asusta casi tanto como el niño pequeño." Kyle muttered into the long silence that followed. (The girl is like me when I was a child)

   "Excuse me?" Zane found his voice first.

   "We kill anything." Cherry turned to face a plant hanging from the ceiling. "Watch." Before our eyes, the plant withered from a vibrant green to a somewhat burnt black.

   "Can you do that to people? If so, can we trade? I have a long list of people karma missed." Kyle said.

   "I've never tried on an actual person. And even if we could trade powers, you'd have to kill me to get mine." Cherry laughed at her terrible pun. "Delcan, right? What's it like, hearing animals, what kind of crazy things do they think?" Cherry seemed really interested in what he had to say.

   As Dmitri answered her question, I slipped away. There are times in life when being alone is much needed, and this is one of those times. Water is the best therapy for me, but I don't know if this hotel has a pool, and a bath wouldn't help. Carefully I left the room, making sure no eyes were on me. In the hallway I noticed that someone had pulled down a ceiling ladder, sunlight seeping through and warming the cool hallway.

   Curiosity got the most of me, I climbed up and was on the roof. I took in the familiar view of Santa Fe. There was also someone else there, either not noticing me or not caring. I pulled the ladder up and gently closed it.

   I made my way to the person and soon realized it was Reason. I could see some skin on his back revealed by his tank top, more fire tatts there.

   "May I sit with you?" I asked a little too politely(Kiss ass. Zayden 'coughed' ). Reasons sitting on the very edge, legs dangling freely, at complete ease.

   "And if you fall?" I saw a quick glint of of metal in his mouth as he spoke. He has a tongue ring also. Grody.

   "Then the angels will bring me back." I took his answer as a yes and sat down.

   "So you're not scared? Of falling and probably never coming back?"

   "Lets see. I'm a abnormal hybrid, I can do impossible things, and I'm supposed to be a leader. Soon I'll get a tail, see a dragon, angel, and werewolf, along with other magical creatures like goblins, unicorns, trolls, fairies, and more crap. I'll probably have to fight some too; powerful people always have enemies. It's in the rule book. To answer your question, no, I'm not scared. Being scared is something I want to be, but can't afford it." I finish my little rant.

   He stared at me as I stared at the sky, "You have this shit figured out."

   I met his blank gaze, "You don't?"

   "Charlotte pretends she's been a hybrid her whole fucking life. Anna's too young, she doesn't fully understand."

   "And you?"

   He fiddles with his lip ring, "Es dificil de manejar." (It is difficult to handle.)

   I nod. "Trust me, yesterday I was a complete mess. I was crying half the time or yelling the other half. Cherry does seem to be doing the best."

   "Its a well-played act. She always feels the need to be in control."

   "She's the leader?"

   "She wishes. I am."

   "How long have you known each other?"

   "Our entire lives."

   "Wha-" I started.

   "Do you ever stop talking?" He asks, exasperated.

   "Yip. When I sleep." I grin

   He rolled his eyes. "Donne" (Women)

   "Italian?" I ask, he nods. "You speak three different languages?" nod. "Ooh, I get it. You want me to stop talking." nod. "Mission accepted."

*

   Fresh ideas about Reason? Think there's a romance brewing? Want a romance to be brewing?

   Okay, time for me to go.

   ~Peace.