Chapter 18

What up party people?

I know there's someone reading this, time to make your beautiful existence known by..

Voting!

Commenting!

Or following!

Please! I will love you forever!

Enjoy!

*

Me. Zayden agreed.

Are you him?

Indeed, I was.

Then how are you in my head? I panic.

I am on your side little wave, always know that. For now, do not tell them of me.

I sighed then realized everyone was staring at me. "Coolio."

"I have a question." Aliyah looked at me purposely. I smiled my thanks to her.

"Ask it." Dad encouraged.

"You say only twelve. Why can't they-or we- breed within our own species?" Aliyah has a habit of making good points.

"Excellent question Aliyah. We don't breed together because it presents too many problems. We're complex hybrids, so we can't be sure what the baby would inherit. Which genes are dominant and which are recessive are anyone's guess. The baby could come out half-human, half-element or full blown element. Plus with such powerful parents it's best not to endanger everyone with the risks. The reason we mainly breed with humans is because we know the exact outcome. The child will either be fully human or one of us." Brooke clarified.

"Explain more. I mean what if the hybrid and human have more than one kid? How do they know which kid is the hybrid? And what about Mel? She has strong feelings for both Zane and Declan. How's she supposed to push those feelings aside and do the deed with a boring human she has no interest in?" I know Ali thinks she's somehow helping me, but I want to slap her.

Brooke sent me a glance of deep pity and understanding. "She can't be with either of them. There's no easy solution and no happy ending. In order for the twelve Elementals to continue our legacy, she must breed with a human and conceive a hybrid. And when you do have a hybrid child, you'll just know."

Jordan cleared his throat loudly. "None of this adds up, at all. Breeding with humans and not our own kind? And what about this fourth group? The dragons? Fire? Where are they, your generations and ours?"

"The breeding thing is just one unchangeable mess." Dad said. "As for the dragons, they tend to be more independent and always open up individually. They have their own...ways."

"When do we met them?" Jordan pressed.

"Tomorrow morning. We have further matters to discuss and we need to clear the air. At the moment, we must bid you all a good night. Room service will bring food up in a minute." With that Dad and the others left.

Leaving a long and thick silence from the tension in the room.

"I need some sleep." Ester said standing up. A few mumbled their agreement.

After I ate the food the bellboy brought l left to one of the many rooms in the large suite. Barely had enough time to spiral on the bed when a knock sounded.

"Go away." I needed time to think and be alone. But they came in anyway.

"Jello." Kyle. Great. Just what I need.

"What?" I sat up and hugged my knees to my chest, trying to keep myself together.

"You wanna talk? About the breeding thingy?" He came and sat by me.

"Nothing to talk about."

"I know you pez espuda. I know it bugs you. Talk to me. I'm here for you Mel. You're not alone." Kyle gently rubbed my back.

Never. Zayden added.

"Its unfair." Crying is something I'd been doing for too long, time to let the anger simmer out. "Zane is my first love. Declan is, well, I'm not sure but he means a lot to me. I've been afraid I'd have to choose one. Now I won't have to because that option has been ripped away from me."

"Its not fair, none of it. Not fair that Aliyah and Dmitri were lied to their entire lives. Not fair that Jordan's so young. Not fair that Vivi and Ester feel like freaks. Not fair that Declan and Zane feel like you. Not fair that I have to tie all the loose strings and still keep everyone, myself included, smiling. No one said life was fair Mel, you just gotta deal with it the only way you can." Kyle said.

"I get it. My life isn't the only one down the drain. This is some crappy teen-drama shit, I know, but I can't have either of the boys I want." I wailed. I am the living version of a pathetic, weak teenage girl. A breathing stereotype.

Kyle wrapped his huge arms around me. "Melody, you're being a wuss. You're a leader, start acting like it. You need to be tough, smart and brave. Pretend we're eleven and at Hogwarts, picture the Sorting Hat putting you in Gryffindor. Be someone Dumbledore would rise his goblet to. Basically be the Melody I grew up with, the one I love like a sister. Stop being the needy Melody that cries over dumb boys, the cooler Melody never showed weakness. The cooler Melody was a born leader, but right now you're a follower, and not even Hagrid would rise his cup to you chica."

I laughed. I loved it when Kyle made Potter references, its something we Potterheads do for fun. But the bodybuilders right. I've cried more these past two days then in the past decade. This is my life now and I have got to embrace it with accepting arms. Time for my tears to dry and my old witty Puerto Rican self comes back.

I wiped my face and took a few deep breathes, "By morning I'll have my Gryffindor cloak on, promise. Tonight, let the weak Mel cry her eyes out."

Kyle laid us down and turned off the lights with the cute mini remote. "Go for it, cry. Scream even. Let it all out. I'm here, I'll always be here."

Wrapped in his arms like beans wrapped in a tortilla, I emotionally exploded.