Chapter 3

When I came to my head was throbbing and I had a terrible taste in my mouth. I tried opening my eyes but they were too heavy so I experimented with my body. It was slack and weak. I tested with picking my head up, but it flopped back down on the pillow uselessly.  I moaned, feeling tired and hung-over. The room was pitch black, so it didn't matter.

   "I wouldn't do that again if I were you."

   My eyes shot open and suddenly I was rigid. Impossible.

   That voice. It belonged to a young man, but not just any young man, oh no. I knew exactly who it belonged to, I was sure of it. I'd know that voice anywhere, alive or dead; his voice will remain in me forever. I'm screwed on many levels.

   I wanted to see his face, just to make sure I'm right. Fear holds me back. I debated with myself for a second. I already know who it is, why did I need to see him? Because not seeing him is a heart ache. I already got over this! Things changed and I moved on! Right?! Who are you kidding? You haven't dated since him, and now he's here, sneak a peek.

   Okay, I'm completely and utterly crazy. I was asking myself questions, and then answering them, surely the first sign of a mental illness. Ugh! Why does he make me so flustered? I thought bitterly.

   All this is because of a boy? The voice in my head asked.

   Oh crap! I forgot about that! There's a little voice talking to me. Yip, its official, I'm mental. See you in the loony house!

   You are very strange. The voice said.

   Are you my conscious? If so, you can leave. I never liked Jiminy Cricket much anyway. I replied.

   My name is Zayden, now you can stop calling me the 'little voice'.

   Look, it has a name. Great, there's a guy speaking to me in my head. How exciting. As if the guy in the room with me doesn't give me enough trouble.

   Focus on the task at hand, little wave.

   Rolling my eyes, I thought back to his voice. It sounded rough, yet tender. Not too deep like a man, but not high like a boy either. It was perfect, and I wanted to hear it again.

   "You're here." It came out choked. Wait, I'm crying?! Been a long while since that happened.

   "Yeah, moms' job moved her. Again. We still owned our old house, so we moved back in." The words came out soft a sweet, like music. I couldn't help but unwind my stiff bones.

   "Oh" That was all I could say, my mind was blank yet racing at the same time. I had so many questions that needed to be answered but I couldn't seem to find my voice. I was scared that if I said the wrong one I would chase him off. And I don't want him to go, at least not at the moment.

   "Please..." How do I finish that? Please go away. Please hold me. Please don't hurt me. I have no idea what I'm asking of him, my emotions were making me light headed.

    That makes two of us. Zayden said.

   "You probably have questions. Where do I begin?" He paused for a second, seeming to ponder on how to continue. "After my mom got news she was moving back, she hired guys to fix up our old house. A month or so ago we moved in, I avoided going out, you know in case I saw you or someone who would remember me. I didn't know how to face you. Hell, I didn't know if I could face you.

   "Well as time went on I thought more and more about you. Then I realized..." With each word he spoke I heard his light footsteps coming toward me or what I'm guessing the door. I hoped it was the door. "I realized that I've missed you and," His musical voice was only a foot away from where I lay, "I'm still completely head over heels in love with you." I feel his warm hand land on top of mine. Ohh snap, I grasped the fact that I'm in a bathing suit. Could he feel my shaking? Why am I shaking?

   Good question. Zayden says. He's annoying.

   "I..." I still couldn't talk. It was as if I'd swallowed a rock and could only say one word at a time like the mental patient I am to become.

   My left hand, the one he was touching was more alive than the rest of me. He held onto me as if I were his damn lifeline. I couldn't take it anymore. I tug my hand away and out it on top of my stomach. The warmth of his simple touch lingered.

   He sighed and I heard him back up a few steps.

   "I know it's been so long. I still feel the same though." He sounded all sad like.

   "I believe you. So, where am I? What happened? When did you get here?" I fired my questions as fast as possible. I needed to change the subject before I said anything rash.

   "We're in The Dolphins nursing room. You fainted and have been out for maybe five hours. I've been here for about three of those five hours." He sounded a little too smug for my liking.

   "Three hours? Don't you have a life? Or has moving back to such a small town already got to you?" I replied, sitting up.

   "Not really. I told you, I still feel the same. My life centered around you. If you're sick of course I going to come to your aid. I will admit, when my mom called I was at home doing nothing. Thanks for saving my sister, I owe you."

   Did he really have to go all sentimental on my ass? My head started hurting again from all the aching coming from my heart.

   Over dramatic teen. Zayden grunted.

   Annoying voice in my beautiful head. I replied.

   "What's her name?" I recall her clearly; both siblings had the same shade of strawberry on their lips that they got from their mom.

   "Maria, she was born two years after we moved to Florida." Again he sounded like a broken child and I wanted nothing more to hug him.

   "Maria." I repeated. "Pretty name. How have they been? Your family I mean. How have you been?" I hear the excitement in my own voice and wonder how he will interpret it.

   "Good I guess. Alive and healthy. What about you? I see you went red and that you still swim." From the tone of voice I knew he was smiling.

   "I swim even more now." I give a little half smile to myself.

   "Glad to hear that. You and your late night swims. Back then swimming meant everything to you..." His beautiful voice trailed off.

   It was silent for some time. Not awkward, just both of us lost in our own heads.

   Then I yawned.

   "You're still tired; don't fight it because of me." He came back to my bed.

   "But I-" What can I say to make him stay?

   "It's okay. Here" He got my hand, put something crumpled on my open palm and rolled my fingers around it. "My number. Call if you need anything. I mean it."

   We're throwing that away. Zayden spoke.

   Zayden, I mean it, shut up!

   "Lay down." He gently pushed my shoulder down, and I turned so my feet could swing back on the bed. Then he pulled a thin blanket over me. "There. Now close your eyes and go to sleep."

   If I was being honest with myself I was still very tired. It'd been a long day with exhausting twists and turns. I obeyed and closed my eyes.

   What seemed like a decade later I began to drift. I was on the verge of sleep when I heard the door open. I saw his body turned to leave. "Please don't go. Stay. Please." I tried not to sound pathetic, but my attempt was wasted.

   At least you know your fails.

   He closed the door and walked over. He bent down so his lips were at my ear. "I will never leave you." Then his lips landed on my forehead for one short second. "Usted es mi mundo. Usted tiene mi corazon, niña bonita." (You are my world. You have my heart pretty girl) He whispered.

   "Lo siento." I said. (Sorry)

   "No sea hermosa. Descanse." (Do not be beautiful. Rest) He replied.

   I heard his feet move as he found a chair somewhere in the dark.

   I sighed to myself, happy (somewhat) and content.