Chapter 42

This is the last chapter!

VOTE!

COMMENT!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

*

   "Cleo." Dad said drearily. I could tell he expected something like this but never wanted to deal with it.

   A crack of lightning sounds and the lights go out. Suddenly Squishy, Doug and Seth are in front of me. An unsettling giggle comes from the middle of the room. There are loud cries of frightened Enchantains, shuffling feet as they moved around the room. It's immensely dark, even with my improved vision I can't see a thing and I hate not knowing what's going on. I turn my telepathic on full blast, only to wish I hadn't. Without much warning I could sense the fear in everyone, hear their thoughts. Feeling the emotion coursing through those surrounding me is all so much, overriding my self control and drowning me in their sorrow but I can't shut it down. Instead I stuff it as best I could in a hidden part of my brain. I feel rather than see Reason put a spot light on the sound of the voice.

   Laufeia is there, floating in a ominous mist of black smoke. If I stare too long at the mist my eyes begin to ache and I know a huge migraine is in store for me. Whatever the black smoke is made of I quickly acknowledged that it only comes from the inmost dept of Darkness. I made the mistake of looking directly at the mist and a dizzy haze clouded my mind. To have this sort of effect on me, I can merely wonder how the other Elementals and the guests view this smoke. The crowd parts as she flies by. "I am not Cleo. I am Laufeia, powerful immortal, hidden ally of Darkness."

   The crowd gasps, and I'm guessing she's revealed her true self. I try to read her mind but all I get is a blur of images and buzzing sounds. The bitch can somehow block me. How, when not even the other Elementals can do that?

   Slight panic slices me. Suddenly I'm wobbly. Between experiencing hundreds of feelings that don't belong to me, the black smoke and my own nerves it's not surprising that I'm lightheaded and unsteady in my heels.

   Dad steps forward and pats my arm. He knew the turmoil inside me and with his touch came a soothing wash of tranquility, "Laufeia, leave! Darkness such as yours is not allowed in the Kingdom of Light."

   "Light," Laufeia sneered, "has ruled over Enchantment for too long as have the precious Elementals. Darkness thirsts for it's turn and that time has come. I'm taking over as Queen of Darkness and to begin my rein I will kill the Elementals. Even if I have to hunt you, just know that no realm could ever shield you from me."

   Here time froze. Dad and I shared a short glance, both knowing what's coming but too stunned to react. Despite the many things going on in my head Dad forced his way into my mind and left me a message I could never forget. Surprising me he stayed there, inside my mind with me; safe.

   "Starting with the princess!" Laufeia points a sharp fingernail at me.

   My powers are in self defense mode, with her threat automatically the whole lot of abilities I had went up and threw what they could at her. But is wasn't much considering my brain just hadn't been in battle status, in this moment I am vulnerable and not in the right state of mind to fight. In slow motion, I see a dark tendril coming at me faster than it should. I resist the urge to close my eyes, Darkness isn't going to get the satisfaction of me being scared when I meet death even in my befuddled condition.

   Since Dad was safely in my head, it was a two way street, meaning I knew his thoughts. I saw it coming a second too late and before I can do anything, Dad leaps in front of me. The dark tendril hits him square on the chest and suddenly my dad isn't comforting me in my head anymore, his body thuds to the floor where he remains still.