Chapter 40- Still breathing

Talia Kings POV

"Raven!" I call, running into the room, almost falling over due to a chair.

"What is it?" She kept her eyes on the screen for the most part, but occasionally flickering over to me. "Are you hurt? IS everything okay?"

"Yeah, everything's fine. I think." I put the letter so close to her face she had to lean back to see it. "Found this, and a beanie. Miller and Bryan have the beanie right now."

"I think I saw that word before." Raven scrolled up through the programing, stopping when she reached a certain section. "Citadel. Its a fortress that overlooks the city. It's separated by something, I think it's water, like..."

"A moat?"

"Exactly!" Raven starts typing. "It's blocked, there's no access."

Raven stood up and walked over to a door. We waited a few seconds. Raven opened the door.

"Finally." Raven stepped inside, and I copied standing next to a dresser.

"Come on." I rushed them. "We found something."

Raven and I turned and hurried back to the control room. After a few seconds Monty came in.

"It's right here."Raven pointed to Citadel.

"What is?" Monty sat down on the bad chair, as I got the second best, unfortunately the best was Ravens.

"Look at all these layers of security. More than anything else in the entire ALIE code." Raven explained to him.

"Firewall?"

"Fortress." I correct, turning my chair, to stifle a yawn, successfully.

"She calls it the Citadel. It over looks the entire city. It's... it's separated by water. Like a moat." Raven looks over at me, or more specifically the dark shadows under my eyes that had been building the past few days. "You should sleep. And look at this."

Raven passes the note on the table to Monty.

"Should I go get the beanie?" I asked Raven and she nodded.

"Might be useful." Raven turned back to the screen, typing in more numbers.

"Slow down what are you saying?" Monty's eyes skimmed down the note, brows creased in confusion.

"She has to be hiding something." I speak up for Raven, getting out of my seat to grab the beanie.

"No." Monty looked up at me, placing the note by the computer, "if we want to get work done we can work on the note."

"We need to get this done." My hands flew towards the computer, accidentally hitting the back of Ravens head. "Sorry Raven." I looked down sheepishly, before going outside to grab the beanie.

I walked back in dragging my feet along the ground, feeling dizzy due to the lack of sleep, I had went to get rations for Monty and Raven.

I looked to see Monty fast asleep and Raven hacking. "I'm coming for you."

Then all I saw was darkness and the feeling of cold metal hitting me.

--------------

"Monty?" Hannah greens voice came through along with my other senses and I sat up, the harsh material of a chair digging into me.

"I love you too." A press of a button was heard.

"What happened?" I asked a few seconds later, getting up and sitting down in front of the computer.

"You was exhausted." Ravens eyes didn't even flicker away from the screen as she typed. "Didn't want to wake you, thought you deserved to sleep."

It wasn't what I meant but I guess it's not important, after all, Raven definitely knew what I meant.

"Do it." Monty urged Raven. "Shut her down."

"I'm through the last door. I see it." Raven narrated, creating a sense of dramaticness. "It's a kill switch. All I have to do is-"

Then the screen went black. It's gone.

"No. No. No, no, no!" Raven yelled, frustrated.

"What happened? What happened!" Monty yelled at her.

"She must've pulled herself from the mainframe before I had time to hit the kill switch."

"This was all for nothing?"

"No, MOnty, no. Now we know there's a kill switch."

"A kill switch we can't use because the code is gone! This is your fault. We were supposed to wait for the others. You want to take the chip again? Is that it? You want to go back in there? Here. Take it." Monty held a chip out to her.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

"Go get more sleep." I instructed, "Go, now. Both of you."

'There was no point staying awake, after all, the programing was gone. It won't be such a bad idea.' I thought once they left. Then I forced the chip into my mouth and swallowed.