The Uzumaki Clan: A History

The Uzumaki Clan is a clan descendant of Ashura Ōtsutsuki. They are distant blood relatives of the Senju Clan and is the founding clan of Uzushiogakure. They were well-known and feared for their skillful knowledge of the art of fūinjutsu.

They were also skilled in the arts of kenjutsu and possessed incredibly strong life forces. They were known as the clan of longevity, due to their long spans and slow aging. They also have a high healing factor and can heal others through consumption of their chakra. Due to their potent chakra, they possess the ability to shape and manifest it outside their bodies, for example, adamantine chakra chains.

Like the Uchiha and Senju clans, the Uzumaki clan first hailed from the Land of Ancestors, home of the once profound Ōtsutsuki clan. After the fall of Kaguya Ōtsutsuki, Hagoromo Ōtsutsuki traveled and settled in an area that was now known as the Land of Fire. There he had two sons, Ashura and Indra. Ashura had two wives, Amane and Kanna.

The Uzumaki clan would be the descendants of the union between Amane and Ashura. After Ashura died, the Uzumaki descendants left the Land of Fire, not wanting to be involved in the feud between the Senju and Uchiha clans. Like their father, they believed in Hagoromo's teachings and avoided any type of fighting.

The Uzumaki clan traveled around the world after leaving the Land of Fire, going as far as the West. Before Hagoromo died, he had the clan seal the Western Wall, not wanting the western conflicts to reach the now "peaceful" East. Before venturing toward the west, the Uzumaki clan split up into two groups. One group looked to settle in what is now the Land of Iron while the other group explored. They kept in contact with each other using seals and various summonings.

The group the ventured West breached past the wall and explored the settlements of the West. Like the Sage said, there was much war and conflict there. However, there was also some peaceful places. In their travels, they came across many lands and different people. They learned many things and recorded all of their travelings and places they went. Eventually, the Uzumaki created sailing techniques, curious if there were lands beyond the great ocean of the Eastern continent.

Their curiosity eventually led to the creation of shiosuiton. Using the salt within the water as a way to control the currents, the Uzumaki eventually landed in a New World. Like the lands over the Western Wall, this land was chaotic as well. If the clan had not been so skilled in seals and ninja arts, they would have surly died. The group of Uzumaki traveled the new lands for several years before they returned to the seas and went back to the Eastern continent, carrying with them knowledge unknown to many men.

Once they reunited with their clansmen in the Land of Iron, the clan relocated to an island they found off the coast of the Land of Fire. When they finally settled, they called the place Uzushiogakure, named after their clan. Although they settled down on the island, it did not keep the clan from further exploration.

They sent out exploration teams to continue their expedition, traveling further east of the Water Country and even south of the Elemental nations. During their travels in the east, they came across more lands. They were able to meet even more people with unique abilities, ranging from ninjutsu to genjutsu to unknown kekkei genkais. They provided seals for some of the countries like the Land of Demons in exchange for knowledge and vast amount of information.

They explored south of the Elemental Nations, they stumbled upon more uncharted lands. The lands were vacant and there was no people already settled there unlike the other lands. After mapping out the land and exploring it, they found that it was surrounded by natural whirlpools and that it consisted of five large islands surrounded by smaller islands. When they were finally completed it's cartography, they realized it was big enough to be considered a continent by itself. They eventually claimed the lands as theirs and began to focus their efforts on building upon it.

The Royal Family decided that it was best to keep their land under wraps and swore the whole clan to secrecy. To help fund their project, they created a ninja village and elected a new Uzukage. After much discussion between the royals and Uzukage, they decided that know one would know about the new continent and that Uzushiogakure would serve a military and information base in contact with the mainland Elemental Nations. Talk of the newly-discovered lands was punishable by death and those who married into the clan were sworn in as well.

This secret was even hidden from their allies. 

During the First Shinobi War, Uzushiogakure struggled to maintain a strong non-intervention policy. Before the marriage between Mito Uzumaki and Hashirama Senju, they were isolationist. While the Uzumaki didn't directly participate in the Shinobi war as a nation, they aided Konoha by providing seals and would occasionally lend them shinobi to assist in their ranks. Mito Uzumaki helped Hashirama seal the bijuu to distribute to the other ninja villages.

As their skills in fūinjutsu became more well-known, several countries became intimidated by them. The fact that they could seal a tailed beast with just a few hand seals, imagine what they could do to a mere shinobi. They were a threat. And while they didn't directly participate in the war, these nations wouldn't give them a chance to.

When word had returned to the Uzukage about an invasion, the Uzumaki prepared. They recalled every ninja from their mission and prepared them for the battlefield. While they prepared for the invasion, Uzu no Kuni was sealed away from the rest of the world, remaining hidden by whirlpool. Uzushio was hit with a surprise attack when the invasion began. Some were killed and the ninja had to quickly prepare for battle. They managed to create a barrier that protected them for nearly two days before they had to confront their enemies.

During the time the barrier was up, they began to evacuate its civilian population and prepare for battle. When the barrier finally fell, chaos reigned upon their lands and many shinobi were killed. Near the end of the siege, a few members of the Royal Family were able escape although some didn't make it live much longer after evacuation.

The invasion lasted a whole week before it finally came to a conclusion. By the end of the invasion, the clan had been reduced from nearly 5,500 members strong to a mere 50.

Kushina Uzumaki was removed from Uzu a year before the invasion. The surviving Uzumaki scattered throughout the world. Some settled within other Hidden Villages while others remained nomadic. There were very few that dared to pass the Western Wall, the new generation having never traveled the world like their ancestors did. By the time Naruto was able to reestablish Uzu, there were around 27 living members accounted for.