The Fall of Uzushiogakure Arc: Troubled Waters

(5 years later....)

Daisuke sighed as he walked up the cement stairs of the royal castle at the center of the capital. His mind was currently running a hundred miles per minute at the information he had not long ago received.

He had been a young man when he had fought in the First Great Shinobi War. He had been a part of on Uzushiogakure's barrier squads that were deployed to assist and help Konoha. Hell he had been a part of the few members of the support team that was sent to help the Nidaime Hokage when he fought the Kinkaku Force. While the Konoha nin were ordered to leave, Uzushiogakure honored their agreement with Konohagakure and sent several support teams with the Konoha's Escort Unit.

Daisuke's team had been ordered by their general to assist the Nidaime and help him escape the trap Kumo set up for them. While they weren't able to save the Nidaime and some of his teammates fell to the group, the Kinkaku did not go unscathed. By the time the battle ended, the Kinkaku force had been reduced to nothing while three-quarters of the support team and the Nidaime Hokage had been reported dead. The Uzukage could still feel the cackling crack of lightning and the hot piercing of his opponent's sword that nearly rendered him paralyzed. When he had woke up from the hospital, he nearly broke down at how close he had been to visiting the Shinigami, leaving his family and country alone.

The war had ended begrudingly, though. All five shinobi nations had taken so much damage until no one could fund or supply the material to keep the war going. Everyone was forced into an armistice. When the Sandaime Uzukage, his father, had caught wind of this, he immediately placed Uzushiogakure under a non-interventionist policy as well as strength their century long practice of isolationism. The only reason why we couldn't claim outright neutrality was because of our life-long contract with Konoha and the Uzumaki's ties with the Senju.

While they still did missions, Uzushio shinobi did their best to avoid major villages and other clans alike. The Sandaime's change in policy of course did not set to well with a bit of people. Konoha didn't like it this because we were allies and soon or later, they were going to need extra troops to protect their territory. 

Some of his kinsmen were upset because it affected business and trade, taking money out of their pockets. The Uzumaki were also known for practicing both endogamy and exogamy, meaning that they married within and outside the clan. Some clan members had family outside the Uzumaki and felt that the policies were creating a barrier between.

Senju Yuuichi was the first to voice his dismay with the policies. While he had married into the Uzumaki clan, the Senju clan was still his clan. He found the policies unfair and even discriminatory to a degree. He remembered the heated argument he and the Sandaime had about, both in which were standing firm in their beliefs. The argument had got so intense until Mika and Katsumi had to stand in between their husbands and separate them. Things were tense between the two since then.

After Daisuke was given the position of Uzukage, he had removed the isolation policy, much to the Sandaime's dismay. He made a few changes to the non-interventionist policy, lessening the restrictions it upheld instead of completely getting rid of it. While he understood Yuuichi's points about honoring the contract between their clans, Daisuke also understood what his father was saying.

An armistice means that there would only be a delay in war. A ceasefire. It didn't mean that the conflict was resolved, it only meant that it was simply waiting to continue. His father knew it wasn't going to be long before war would resume and he didn't want their country caught in the middle of it.

There were a good bit of people that thought his father's policies to be cowardice and even bias to those who weren't Uzumaki. But the reality was, he was only doing what any other nation or clan would do. It was commonly taught that in this world, the only people you can trust is yourself and your family. Although the Uzumaki clan had history with the Senju, at the end of the day, both clans were left to fight for themselves if the situation ever arose. It was just like during the Warring States Era and all the eras before then.