Konohagakure: The Academy

Wiki Description

The Academy is a huge building in located directly at the base of the Hokage Mountain  It is where prospective ninja are trained and where official ninja receive their assignments. It was founded by the Second Hokage out of military necessity.

Curriculum:

Students are taught core curriculum of reading, writing, mathematics, science, geography, etc. These lessons are typically framed in a ninja-context and are in fact learned in order to facilitate later instruction in tactics and strategy.

Students learn the Shinobi Rules, how to strengthen their minds and bodies, and receive special lectures from veteran shinobi.

They are taken through the handling of ninja weapons and tools, like shuriken and kunai, learning how to throw and wield them through target practice, as well as instructed on the basics of trap-setting. Academy students are also taught about chakra and how to use it via hand seals.

Curriculum Breakdown:

Taijutsu classes serve as the Ninja Academy's equivalent of physical education. In taijutsu class, students are engaged in physical activities to help train their bodies and develop their stamina. Sparring is common.

Ninjutsu classes provide the bulk of what potential ninja learn at the Academy. Students are taught about chakra, how to manipulate it and use hand seals, and ultimately how to use techniques such as the Transformation Technique and the Clone Technique.

Genjutsu classes are focused less on how to create illusions and more on how they work. Students are taught how to determine if they are trapped in a genjutsu, and then how to release themselves from it.

New standards added to the curriculum are advanced chakra control exercises like tree-walking and water-walking, and  elemental ninjutsu. In the past, shinobi usually don't know their affinities until they were chunin.

Revised Curriculum:

Shinobi studies start with history, math, and other general topics. By the second year of the academy, chakra theory and principles of stealth, weapons training, traps, and tactical training have been added to academy lessons. By the third year, students are focusing on taijutsu and ninjutsu training. By the four year, students are expected to have a basic understanding of the subjects of the curriculum and build on their newly acquired skills.

Graduation Requirements:

Graduating usually consists of taking both a written exam and a practical exam, administered by a chunin instructor, to earn enough marks to pass. Upon graduating, students receive a forehead protector, proof of their achievement.

Graduating students are then separated into squads of three genin and assigned to a jonin-sensei to instruct them further, the members determined by their overall factors to create a well-balanced team. At this point, they will be tested once again by their jonin teacher to assess whether they would be able to handle the demands that will be made of them as ninja (I.e. the dynamics of teamwork).

Students who don't pass the initial graduation tests or who are failed by their jonin-sensei may either be sent back to the Academy, or if their jonin believes them to be unsatisfactory, they can be dropped from the programme entirely. Under certain circumstances, it is not necessary for students to master all the lessons they are taught in the Academy to pass.

Upon revision of the curriculum, proper academic scores are required for graduation. Whether or not a student graduates the ninja exams, they can continue forward in the Academy to further their studies in other areas