Kanyou's War - Mysterious Letter

While Link and Ganon were off on their adventure, and while the drama unfolding within the Majora as a result of the Dragmire Clan's presence with Ghiradrim's manipulation was occurring, Zelda was by no means idle. Events had taken place in the capital that would forever shake the kingdom, and in such a short time, that it would be remarked on even in the most summarized of historical records.

This would require going back in time a short bit, but allow this retelling the flexibility so as to provide Zelda the same due her compatrionts have been given.

-What happened last-

-Zelda-

Zelda sat on her throne. A meeting finished recently and she relaxed on the chair as best she could with a scroll in her lap. A few ministers lingered in the throne room talking amongst themselves. No one approached the stairs leading up to the throne so she was content to be in a space of quiet and thought.

Her musing was interrupted abruptly by Shi Ketsu throwing the doors open and running into the room. He panted and sweat from having run this way. Zelda looked at him worriedly a moment. The ministers asked what was wrong, but he ignored them. He ran up to the throne and bowed himself onto a knee in a hurry.

"Shi, what has come over you?" Zelda asked.

In answer, as he could barely speak while gasping for breath, he produced a scroll from his robe and handed it to a servant who handed it further to Zelda. Zelda inspected the scroll. It was left unopened and the seal was that of the king. The impression in the wax was the same as what she had used for official declarations.

"It has my seal. I don't understand," Zelda said. "Are you returning one of my scrolls to me? It is still unopened."

"Your highness!" Shi breathed heavily. "It is a message from the royal harem to you! I was given the scroll by one of their eunuchs."

Zelda felt her breath catch.

Immediately her ministers yelled, "The Royal Harem?! What are they doing with the official seal!?" Others yelled, "What business with us do they have?!"

Shi and Zelda stayed silent. Zelda felt a chill enter his spine as she gazed at the scroll in her hands. She didn't know what it said and feared to know. Shi silently watched her composure struggle to stay intact, knowing now why she struggled.

The Royal Harem was led by Bi Ki, Zelda's mother.

Zelda took a moment to breathe. She closed her eyes and breathed in and breathed out. She took the scroll by the seal, popped it, and opened the scroll. Her ministers fell silent, waiting to hear what it said. Zelda looked over the scroll, confused. She opened it further, and further again. She rotated the scroll's contents to the end.

"It's empty."

-Going forward from where we left off-

There was silence. Zelda was speechless, confused, and uncertain. Her ministers looked up at her, breathless, and equally confused.

Finally one minister cleared his throat and asked, "Empty, your highness?"

"Yes." Zelda answered. She waved the scroll, revealing all of its sides for them to see. "There is nothing written here. It is entirely empty."

Immediately her various ministers entered into heated discussion. "Why is it empty?" "What point is there for an empty scroll to be sent to the princess?" "The harem faction has been quiet and outside of official affairs for years, but now they have chosen to engage with us. The method is curious. Clearly there is a message here."