Rebel's War - Arrival at Mitagi

-Kanyou, Capital of Qin-

For most, it was a day like any other. The sun shined, clouds painted the sky white, birds sought insects, and the kids played. Even for Ryo, it was a normal day. Ryo saw nothing different about it from any other.

And that was his problem.

Ryo walked the streets of Qin's castle-town by himself. He had forgone his guards to wander the streets he grew up on in solitude. He had been in his manor for many days after the name 'Riboku' was given to him. Feeling like he needed a breath of fresh air, Ryo took to the streets. He saw that nothing changed. Ouki had died. People mourned, but then they stopped and continued with their lives instead.

'Did they truly mourn?' Ryo wondered. 'Can they not see how shaken Qin's military is? How vulnerable they are without him?'

'Of course they don't,' He thought. They are short-sighted and never looking beyond themselves, their neighborhood, their families, and their friends. But then, that isn't a fault of their own. It's an unfortunate part of societal structure. Men like Ryo would be given the responsibility of seeing beyond their sight.

Ryo felt alone. Without Ouki, who was he to chase? Who was he to fight, to dance with, and to test himself against? Zelda was skilled, but she was still young and full of mistakes. It took great effort on Ryo's part to not capitalize on them. She was almost begging to fail. It took patience to wait... to decide.

You have lost sight of your ambition.

Ryo gnashed his teeth angrily, and he abruptly turned into an alley. He needed some perspective. He knew these streets like the back of his hand and knew where to go. His feet led to him old districts, forgotten by the nobility and rich, then to an old abandoned orphanage used as a graveyard. Its walls were nearly consumed with vines. Its fence and playing area had collapsed from abuse and a lack of care. Few, if any, traveled here besides a need to mourn because the area where children once played and ran became tombstones, listing those that laid beneath.

It was almost symbolic of the times.

Ryo chose his spot carefully. If his memory was right, there should be a marker... there. He cleared away some branches and leaves hiding an old stump. It was eaten by insects, but it was still there. Ryo stood by it and looked up.

The palace, in all of its splendor, stood before him. From this angle, a child, a man, a visionary could see between the houses and through the alleyways to the crown jewel of Qin itself. It stood perfectly between the houses in his sight, with the space between creating an arrow pointing towards it, daring Ryo to give chase. It looked just within reach.

Men desire to fly because the birds that taunt them are barely out of reach.

Men reach their hands to the moon because it looks so close.

Ryo felt his heart pound in his chest, and he unconsciously reached a hand out to the palace. It had lost none of its beauty over the years, and it was his. It was where he worked, played, and lived. Who cared if there was some fifteen-year-old girl on a big chair? The world knew who really held all the power.

Ryo scoffed, "Fool. I have lost none of my sight. It is you who can't see my vision! It is you who cannot see through my machinations! This dynasty is mine... My bloodline will rule... not just Qin, but all of Hyrule! That foolish man is so short-sighted... Why destroy Zelda? She is still useful and makes Qin stronger. He is a brash man who cannot think outside of war. Not all dynasties are made with bloodshed... some are made with... a much more elegant touch."

-Mitagi, Zelda/Link-

Geoffrey scattered the remaining conscripts to return to their homes, but he excluded the elites who lived with him. As it was, officers would house their own soldiers. Link, being an independent officer, was expected to house his men too, so his unit departed for Jouto to establish their new home. Kyo Gai and Den Yuu both had families to move, so it would take a little time. Kyo had his mother, and Den had a wife and daughter. Link didn't know how he would be able to house them, but with the wealth they had gained in the war, they wouldn't need to worry about jobs for a while. He could simply leave the families to find work on the plantation or the surrounding villages while he and his men continued to fight on the battlefield. Despite his misgivings about it, Link realized war was profitable. Between picking loot off the corpses and being paid portions by the palace, they would manage well if Link managed food right and kept proper care of their supplies. Men who survived skirmishes and whole campaigns could easily afford early retirement. Of course, Link wasn't in it for the money, but it certainly didn't take away from the experience, either. If he could help make his village wealthy and pay the mayor back for raising him, he would.