Dragmire's War - Secrets of Kings

-Ryo-

They went their own ways. Ryo went to his estate in the inner capital, while Zelda stayed at the palace.

Ryo went to Abhdan and said, "Teacher, I need to press on you a question."

"Oh-ho! Oh? And just what question would seem to torment you so?" The old man chuckled.

Ryo sat before him on the floor. "Some time ago, I intercepted a message from the Shadowmaster hiding out in Mitagi that a boy named Link had been killed by General Ouki, at Chancellor Impa's request no less."

"Interesting... who is he? The name sounds familiar." Abhdan stroked his beard.

"Precisely my own thought. Who is this boy that Chancellor Impa would have the High General go out of his way to kill him. If you may recall, the name was brought up among the list of accomplishments in the first day of battle Ouki reported on."

"Ah, that would be where I heard the name! So Ouki did not, in fact, kill him?"

"No, he did not."

"And what is your question?" Abhdan asked.

"I will get to it, but please, patience. There is a ways to go. I looked into this boy. I had heard of him amongst the ones Zelda had given privilege to when Sheikah Zant rebelled, and brief investigation showed the boy had also been alongside Zelda when she retook the throne. It did not take much digging to find he had come from Jouto. I sent an investigator, and he returned with information. I tell you not what he found in its whole, nor my own ponderings, as it would take far too long. Rather, the result of it all is that I believe this boy to be the son of General Kyou Mitagi."

Abhdan stopped stroking his beard. His eyes widened in shock.

Seeing he had his old teacher's attention, Ryo continued, "I did not believe it, at first. I watched Impa to be sure, and seeing her reaction to the very boy she had tried to kill being told as alive, it gave me the incentive to investigate further. It told me there was something worth looking into. So under cover of wishing to investigate Harken Dragmire to send a shred of information to General Ouki (a cover that was at the same time true and whole to its pretention as much as its diversion) I found information that leads me to believe Kyou Mitagi hid his identity... and was... in fact. A woman. A woman that was impregnated, and pretending to be ill, took a year to go to full term and work on her recovery. During this time Harken killed her, Ouki sought revenge, and the child was hidden away in a nearby village. Jouto. The soldier wanted to honor her memory, and so left a message for the boy to know his mother was a great general. This is as far as I have come."

"And what is your question?" Abhdan asked nervously.

"Teacher, you know I do things on my own. I investigate and invest on my own. I fail and succeed on my own strengths and weaknesses, and so I grow. But this is a matter to which I believe the Sheikah, the Mitagi, and perhaps more have kept a secret hidden so deeply and intently I do not know where further to go. Why did Kyou Mitagi pretend to be a man all her life? I am sure I can find a shred to send me along if I were to secret myself into the Mitagi, or even the Sheikah, but this would tip everyone away. I believe I have come as far as I can on my own, and yet I believe I have stumbled on something worth making a request for."

Abhdan nodded. He sighed, and for the first time, Ryo marveled and the man looked truly as old as he was. Abhdan always had a jolly look, a quick laugh, a childish whim about him that belied his age. Yet Abhdan seemed to sag and age before him. The weight of secrets fell on his shoulders, and Ryo immediately regretted his request. "No, if it bears you this much of a burden, then you need not-"