Zant's War - No Friends

-Kanyou, Capital of Qin-

Link grumbled. He felt a vein in his forehead pulse angrily. He was started to regret poking at the barbarian king. He may have found the man had a weakness of curiosity but there were things he hadn't taken into account. The man was prideful, strong, and as self-entitled as any noble.

"You make a wonderful footstool," Ganondorf smiled from where he sat above him. Link sat beneath him and the barbarian had his feet on Link's head. "Just the right amount of shortness. Do you ever plan on hitting your growth spurt?"

Link growled. He wanted to move, but the blasted dog was sleeping on his lap; and under Ganon's orders no less. Just as Link had figured out the dark man's weakness, so Dragmire had figured out his.

The others in the group laughed. They kept a wary eye on Ganondorf but weren't struck numb with fear anymore. Link gave them the stink eye. "Yeah, you laugh you little shits! I'll get you! Ow!" Ganondorf kicked him on top the head.

"I apologize on behalf of my footstool. It has no manners. It truly belongs in no place but under the boot."

The carriage approached the main city gates. As well traveled as the city was, there was a bit of a line to enter. The guard's eyed Ganondorf curiously from his throne of boxes. Ganondorf waved as they passed.

"Security seems to have laxed," Link observed. Momentarily he forgot about the feet as he worried about the state of the capital. He could see uncertainty in their eyes and it looked like everyone was stressed. The streets were not as dense as before.

"They are scared and uncertain," Ganondorf figured. "Between so much of the capital being caught in flames, repeated invasions, armies right outside the gates, and the monarch changing hands from one to another in rapid recession it is no wonder. Anyone would flee under the circumstances. The capital must feel like a very unsafe place right now," Ganondorf narrowed his red eyes in thought. "If the capital feels its foundation to be this rocky then how must the rest of Qin feel? How great of a ripple did Prince Kyou cause?"

"But then wouldn't that mean more security so people feel safe?"

"Too much security also tends to make people feel there is a reason, a threat, to validate the security. Zelda must be keeping the security in the city lax so the people can feel there is nothing to be concerned with so life can return to normal."

"Perhaps..."

The caravan reached the outer palace walls without incident. The guards inspected their goods, and found them to be good, but did not allow them to pass.

Link exclaimed, "What's the big deal? We were allowed here before! We know the princess!"

"No, we weren't. We had to force our way in last time," Ganon reminded him. "However he is right, the princess would know us. Call for your high princess. She will recognize us if you doubt my words."

"No, can do. You really think the princess would know a peasant and barbarian? Don't insult us." The guard replied.

Ganon growled. He wanted to pummel the man, but he kept his peace. It was not a battle worth fighting. Looking around, Ganon decided to see if he could find any guards that recognized him from the battle.

He also realized the boy had disappeared. "Where did that brat go?"

-A few minutes later, Zelda-

"Your highness, we have captured an intruder."

Zelda gave a silent prayer of thanks. That was exactly what she wanted. The meeting she was in was long, pointless, and full of bravado.