Dragmire's War - Ryo's Investigation

-Royal Palace, Zelda-

"Your highness, if I may make a request."

Zelda stopped walking to turn and see Ryo bowing slightly at the hip with a hand over his heart in a respectful salute. She raised an eyebrow. They were alone. He had no need to hide his true thoughts.

Also for him to be straight forward was normal, but a request? He had to know Zelda would be instantly suspicious. He must be making a request alone in her presence, so that others, namely Impa, would not overhear.

"What is it?" Zelda questioned. "It is odd of you to seek me out, without witnesses." She added.

"I have nothing to fear from witnesses, if you question my reasons. By all means, call for them. If you question my intentions, then allow your most trusted Chancellor listen in."

Zelda did not immediately respond. Ryo also did not offer anything to still the silence. What he had to ask must be important, and though Zelda felt she was being baited into doing it, she called for Impa to be brought here. Better to deal with Ryo's scheme with Impa at her side, then to try and read too deeply. Whether he truly wanted Impa there, or if it was merely a bluff, Zelda would be better off.

Impa approached and immediately hissed at the sight of Ryo. "What is it, scoundrel? What request would you make of the princess?"

"Such a harsh tone." Ryo clicked his tongue. "I mean what is best for Qin."

"You mean what is best for you?"

"Funny thing about economics. What is best for Qin has also been best for me."

"Chancellor Ryo, what is your request?"

Ryo glanced briefly to Impa before answering, "By no means a small thing. You see, I have been having sleepless nights, fretting for the state of Qin. I know we all have. And though I have the greatest faith in General Ouki Mitagi, I cannot help but feel there is more to this war than meets the eye. And I seek to find out what it is."

"You said as much before." Zelda mused.

"Then you know I mean it. I told Ouki, of which I am sure you can find witnesses from the palace staff, to be careful, as I feel there is more here than we know."

"If I feel it necessary to have your words proven by witness..." Zelda answered.

"What is your request?" Impa inserted.

"You see... Harken Dragmire is the enemy. I wish to learn of him. What led him to fight the Qin. What brought his victory against General Kyou Mitagi, and what brought his defeat at the hands of General Ouki Mitagi. I feel in this victory and in this defeat is the key to understanding him more. Surely there are records of Harken, of Kyou, and of Ouki in these walls? As well as how these three men are connected."

Impa was wary of Ryo. She tried to pierce his mind and find what it was he was seeking after, but she could not think of it. It was true, what he asked was in direct relevance to the war. To learn of the battles between the three men could indeed offer insight into Harken Dragmire, and then they could send a note to Ouki Mitagi via hawk. It all fit true and whole.

But Impa could not shake an uneasy feeling. Who else would perceive there is more to the war than meets the eye than the very man to whom there was always more than meets the eye. It was Ryo's nature to have that instinct because it was how he himself was.

Zelda did not speak, but watched Impa and Ryo. She waited for Impa's judgement. Zelda knew that Impa would know Ryo best of them.

"Is there a fault with wanting to learn of the enemy?" Ryo pressed.