chapter one

(Flashback to the First year)

"Y/n? Are you alright dear? You look a bit peaky," my mother asked softly.
"I'm fine mum honestly, just a bit nervous that's all.." I mumbled.
"Oh darling you'll be fine," she told me as she gave me one final hug, "now run along before the train leaves!"
I gave her one last smile and wave before running onto the train, trunk in one hand and my owl, Coco, in the other.

I carefully stepped onto the train, placed Coco down with my trunk and paced down the aisle. I reached the first compartment and knocked on the door.

A pale girl with short black hair slid the door open. Inside the compartment sat a boy with slicked-back blonde hair and a snarl on his face. On the opposite side to him, sat two rather large boys who didn't look much friendlier.
"What do you want?" the girl snapped.

"Uh..i..umm.." I stuttered a bit taken aback by her abrupt rudeness.
They snickered at me. I felt my face go red.

"Hurry up I'm getting bored," the girl fake yawned.

"I was wondering if I could sit in here?" I asked. The girl cackled in my face. I could feel my blood starting to boil as I clenched my fist.

"You better leave in 5 seconds or else," she threatened.

"Alright, I'm going, Jesus," I mutter under my breath.

Just as I go to walk away I accidentally knock into someone. God, could my bad luck get any worse?

"Oh God, I'm so sorry," I apologise.
"It's alright, don't worry about it, "the boy I bumped into says.

Wait a second, is that?...
"Are you...Harry Potter?" I gasp and the boy goes slightly red.
"Yeah, that's me," he laughs awkwardly.
"Woah!"

I stuck out my hand.
"I'm y/n, y/n Miller," I introduced, "nice to meet you.
"Nice to meet you too," he smiled.

We awkwardly stood smiling at each other for a few seconds.
"Uh, do you want to find a compartment with me?" he asked turning even redder, "it'd be nice having some company."
I beamed, "of course!"

(end of flashback)

I arrived at the inn part of the leaky cauldron about a week ago with Hermione and the Weasleys.

It's been nice to be around them again but it doesn't quite feel right without Harry.
We usually sent each other a letter once a week but I haven't received anything ever since I've been here.

I even told him in my last letter that I was going to be at the Leaky Cauldron for a week so he should get Hedwig to just come right here instead.
But he never got back to me.

"Y/n!" Hermione knocks on our shared bathroom door.
"What is it?" I call out putting down my mascara brush which I was in the middle of using.

"Hurry up! We have to go to breakfast in five minutes," she says.
"Hermione, we're on holiday! I don't need to follow your strict schedule for another two days."

I can practically see her rolling her eyes on the other side of the door.
I laugh to myself finish up with my makeup, as slowly as possible, and open the door to be greeted by her tapping her foot in annoyance.

"I don't understand why you need to put on makeup anyway," she complains, "I think that you're perfectly beautiful without it. Ron even said so too."
I laugh, "I don't believe that. Ron would never compliment me!"
"I'm telling you!" she says, "you can ask him yourself."

I roll my eyes at her now and walk-off downstairs to get some breakfast.

"If you must know, isn't because I don't feel beautiful without it, it's because it's just genuinely fun," I explain taking a bite of my crumpet, "besides I do still have a few flaws to fix."