part two - chapter 20

(a/n: I do not want to write this chapter. I shall pay for ur therapy x)

Harry holds me as I watch them take her away.
I scream and cry and sob in protest, but he still holds me close.

~time skip~

Grief is a hard thing to experience, I've felt it once before but this feels like a whole other level. My mother was my rock in hard times. She was the only one who knew and understood the true horrors of my past.

Most days I spend in bed, silent and still and the nighttime is when I allow the misery to take over and I cry myself to sleep.

On the first night, when Hermione had heard me, she crawled into my bed and spooned me to sleep like my mother used to do when I had a nightmare as a child, which I had to admit really helped.
But after a few days of that, I was granted permission by Professor McGonagall and Professor Sprout to spend my nights in Cedric's dorm and vice versa.

I wrap my arms around him and sob into his t-shirt, trying hard to not make any noise because I don't want to wake anyone else up. He strokes my hair and holds me close, cradling me like I was the single most important thing in his life. I lift up my head and he looks down at me.
"Ced?" I whisper.
"Yeah?"
"I love you too."

He gives me a small smile and gently kisses my lips.
"I'm glad," he says and I smile back, for the first time in far too long.

~time skip~

About three months later, the final task approached. I'm back at school now but I don't talk much and hardly ever laugh. Of course, everyone has tried their very hardest to cheer me up but the only person who only ever seemed to do it so effortlessly was Cedric.

I watch as he now jumps about nervously in anticipation of the task.
"Ced," I hold him still and force him to look at me, "you will be fine. You're gonna win."
"I wouldn't be so sure, baby," he says sceptically, "this is the last task, the most dangerous of them all -"
"Baby, just believe in yourself, you got this," I smile.

Just then, the band begins to play their song, signalling for the champions to exit.

Cedric takes a deep breath in.
"Ced," I say and he looks down at me, "thank you so much, for everything."
"And you too, my love."

I beam at him and pull him in for one last hug. I hold him close against me, savouring every moment with him.
"Good luck, I love you so much," I say.
"I love you more," he says and I shake my head to which he laughs, kisses me gently and exits.

I walk up to where Hermione and Ron are sitting and plop myself beside them.
"Nervous?" Hermione asks.
"Incredibly."

"Don't worry Y/n, they'll both be fine," Ron says reassuringly.

I watch as Harry exits nervously, followed by Dumbledore.
"How's Harry been? I feel like I haven't talked to him in forever," I ask curiously.
"He's been..." Ron begins but pauses for a second, "a nervous wreck."

"Same with Cedric, although he puts on a face in front of the audience, I know how much he's truly scared for this," I sigh.

My eyes follow Dumbledore as he steps up to the podium and pokes his wand at his throat. I know too well what's going to happen next so I poke my fingers in my ears.
"Silence!" he yells and everyone obeys, "earlier today, Professor Moody placed the Triwizard cup deep within the maze. Only he knows its exact position. Now as Mr Diggory-"

Everyone on the Hufflepuff side, and me, cheers loudly at Cedric's name as Amos lifts his son's arm in the air proudly before Cedric pulls it down, embarrassed.
"And Mr Potter-"