chapter fifteen

Harry pov

We all walked back down the pathway out of the shrieking shack. Sirius and I had to help Ron down because he couldn't walk on his leg. Y/n walked a bit behind us with Lupin and Pettigrew behind her. I knew she probably wanted to talk to Lupin more as he was in fact her father but he was too busy making sure Peter didn't do a runner. I felt really bad for her and I wished I could hug her, comfort her and just be there for her but Ron was a lot heavier than he looked Sirius could never handle him on his own and it would be unfair to ask Hermione to do it.

As soon as I made up my mind to talk to her later, Sirius finally spoke up.

"Uhm...sorry about the bite! I reckon that twinges a bit." he apologised.

"A bit? A BIT? You almost tore my leg off!" Ron cried.

"Well I was going for the rat!" Sirius said defensively, "normally, I have a very sweet dispostition as a dog. In fact, more than once James suggested I make the change permanent!"

We stopped for a second to readjust Ron because he kept slipping off and Sirius said, "the tail I could live with but the fleas! They're murder." He smiles and we keep walking.

After a while we reach the entrance to the tree and one by one we exit. Sirius and I carefully place Ron on a nearby rock and Sirius looks away at the sky and wanders closer to the castle, stumbling slightly as he walked. Shortly after out came Hermione followed by an exhausted looking y/n they both went over to crouch beside Ron.

Despite wanting to go and talk to Sirius I do the same and check if my best friend is alright. I turn around to watch  Sirius stop and stare out onto the castle.

"You'd better go." Ron's voice says softly.

"No, no don't worry I'll stay." I mutter back.

Y/n sighs and takes off her jumper.

"No Harry you go we'll stay." she says attempting to gently wrap her jumper around Ron's leg.

"Y/n?" I whisper and she looks up in response.

"Are you alright?" I ask her.

"I'm fine. Don't worry about me! Now really you should go." she says smiling back up at me. I beam back at her, pick up her hand and gently squeeze it in gratitude and make my way over to Sirius.

I finally stand by him and he seems to sense my presence because he says, "it's beautiful isn't it. I'll never forget the first time I walked through those doors. It'll be nice to do it again as a free man."

He pauses for a second as if he's trying to think of what to say next.

"That was a noble thing you did back there..." he continues, "he doesn't deserve it."

"Well I just didn't think my dad would've wanted his best friends to become killers. Besides, dead the truth dies with him, alive you're free," I respond.

Sirius turns to face me and smiles. In the background I start to hear Peter begging for mercy doing whatever he can to change his fate.

"Ron! Haven't I been a good friend? A good pet? Surely you wont give me to the dementors will you I was your pet! I was your rat!" he trembles out.

Ron rolls his eyes and looks at him in disgust so Peter turns to y/n.

"Sweet girl. Pretty girl. Surely you won't let them do this!" he cries and grabs her with his filthy hands. She tenses up and I want to run over there and punch Peter in the face. I want to protect y/n and keep her safe. Away from every danger that may befall on her. I want to prevent every bad thing that will ever happen to her in the future. I would go through hell to make her feel better. To change her past.