chapter eleven

y/n pov

Ever since the kiss, Harry had started to distance himself from me. I think he feels slightly embarrassed about what happened. I did too kind of but I was fed up with Harry not talking to me much so I made up my mind to ask him if I could join in with his private lesson with Lupin.

"Harry!" I shouted after him as he walked down the hall. As always, he pretended not to hear me and kept walking down the hall quickening up his pace slightly.

I ran after him and caught up with him.

"Oh hey, y/n what's up?" he murmured.

"I was wondering if I could come with you to Lupin's," I said.

He hesitated for a moment before nodding his head slightly and saying, "actually I was heading there now want to come?"

"Sure" I smiled and began to walk with him to Lupin's office happy that he finally talked to me.

We entered the classroom and saw Lupin leaning on a bannister. "Harry! Y/n!" he exclaimed.

"I don't like to barge in but I was wondering if it was ok if I could join in sir?" I asked.

"Of course, you can but are you sure about this though you two? This is very advanced magic...well beyond the Ordinary Wizarding Level," he said.

"We're sure," Harry replied firmly.

"Well, everything is prepared. Now the spell I'm going to teach you is called the Patronus charm. Did you ever hear of it?" he asked and we both shook our heads.

"No? Well, a Patronus is a kind of positive force and for the wizard who can conjure one, it works something like a shield with the dementor feeding on it instead of him. But in order for it to work, you need to think of a memory. Not just any memory a very happy memory, a very powerful memory. Can you do this?" he asks.

"Yes," I say.

"Very well. Close your eyes. Concentrate. Explore your past." Lupin instructs us.

I close my eyes trying to think of the happiest memory I had. I thought way back to when I was little when my stepfather loved me, Margot was alive and we were best friends. I smiled thinking of it. It was a simpler time. I miss it.

"Do you have a memory?" Lupin asked and we nodded slowly, "Allow it to fill you up. Lose yourself within it then speak the incantation...'expecto patronum'."

"Expecto patronum," we repeated.

"Very good," Lupin whispered and walked over to a trunk leaning on it.

"Shall we? Wand at the ready," he said.

We raise our wands and I shuffle closer to Harry. He looks at me and smiles then turns back to the chest.

Lupin turns back the locks with a wave of his hand and carefully opens the chest. Outcomes an enormous dementor towering over us screeching.

"Expecto patronum!" Harry yells but nothing happens.

"Expecto patronum! I yell louder and a tiny whisp comes out of my wand but quickly retreats back in.

"EXPECTO...expecto..."Harry trails off before stumbles and passes out. I quickly catch him before he hits the ground and gently lay him in my lap.

"Ah, I thought this might happen," Lupin mutters under his breath and walks to the other end of the classroom to retrieve some chocolate while I gently shake him trying to wake him up. Lupin comes back over and crouches beside us. I see Harry's eyes flicker as he slowly comes back to his senses.

"Here we go. Come on sit up. That's it deep breaths. It's alright I didn't expect you to do it the first time." Lupin assures him, "That would've been remarkable. Here eat this you'll feel better."

Lupin hands us both a piece of chocolate.

"That's one nasty dementor," Harry says at last.

"Oh no no no that was a boggart, Harry. A boggart. The real thing would be much worse much much worse." he explains.

Harry looks a little disappointed so I whisper to him, "I never would have guessed it was a boggart either don't worry."

He smiles and attempts to stand up stumbling slightly making me reach out and grab his arm.

"Thanks." he said awkwardly, "uh you can let go now." I realise I'm still holding his arm so I let go, embarrassed.

"As a matter of interest what were you two thinking about?" Lupin questions us.

"The first time I rode a broomstick," Harry replied.

"My family," I answer and Lupin turns around and looks at me a little sadly. He snaps away from his thoughts and continues, "Well they are not good enough not nearly good enough."

I racked my brain for a new memory then it dawned on me.

My kiss with Harry.

It made me feel so happy and so warm inside for the few seconds it lasted and I felt as if all my troubles had melted away. If that wasn't a happy memory I don't know what is.

Harry sighs and walks over to the candle and begins wiping his hand over the flame.

"There's another. It's not happy exactly. Well, it is. It's the happiest I've ever felt...but it's complicated," he said.

Could he be thinking about the kiss too?

"Is it strong?" Lupin asks and Harry nods his head, "y/n do you have a strong one?"

I nod hoping he doesn't ask me what it is.

"Then let's give it a try. You feel ready?" Lupin questions

"Just do it," Harry said.

Lupin opens up the trunk again and the dementor appears once more. Harry and I stood firmly with our feet planted on the ground.

"Expecto patronum!" Harry shouts.

"Expecto patronum!" I cast and suddenly a white wisp shoots out of our wands but this time doesn't go back in. It encircles the 'dementor' and pulls it back into the chest. Lupin, laughing with joy closes the chest trapping the dementor inside it again.

"Well done you two! Well done indeed!" Lupin congratulates us.

"I think I've had enough for today," Harry says as we sit down on a step.

"Me too," I agree.

"Yes of course. Sit down. Here eat this it helps it really helps." he offers us some more chocolate and we take it gratefully.

"And just so you know Harry I think you would've given your father a run for his money and that! Is saying something," he beams.

"I was thinking about him. Mum too." Harry smiles, "seeing their faces. They were talking to me. Just talking. That's the memory I chose. I don't even know if it's real. But it's the happiest I have."

I couldn't help but feel slightly disappointed that he wasn't thinking about me but then again his parents meant the world to him and it's nice that he has a memory of them even if it's very vague. I wish I knew my father but I'm very lucky I have my mother still I suppose.

"That's so sweet Harry," I say nudging him slightly.

"Thanks." he smiles nudging me back.

We sit there smiling and staring into each other's eyes for a couple of seconds before Lupin clears his throat eyeing us suspiciously.

(1228 words - 19/2/21)

This is very short and very crappy I apologise. <3