part three - chapter 10

I grip tightly onto Harry's waist as we fly upon the thestrals. My mind wanders back to the third year when we flew on the Hippogriff together over the black lake. I rest my head against his back and close my eyes reminiscing the moment.

~~

We arrive in London shortly after and finally enter the Ministry of Magic. We jog through the halls, following Harry's lead. He takes us to the lift where we all file in. Ron clicks the button for the floor and we patiently wait.

The bell chimes indicating that we've reached the floor. A small voice says, "department of mysteries."

The dark corridor looms on for what seems like miles and Harry hesitantly steps out, examining the familiar surroundings.

"This is it," he says solemnly.

We walk down the corridor until we meet the door at the end. Harry opens it and enters.

All I can see as I look at my surroundings are shelves filled with strange orbs. Some sit on golden pedestals while others cower away in the darkness covered in dust. I don't know where exactly this place leads to but Harry seems to.
Everyone pulls out their wands and cast them alight. Harry looks behind his shoulder at me.
"Hold my hand," he whispers when he notices the look on my face.

I take his hand and hold it tightly.

We hear a small thud and turn around to see the door we entered from shift out of place and behind it is no longer a wall but even more shelves of these strange orbs.
Harry squeezes my hand. It seems he's just as scared as I am.

He swallows hard and begins walking at a fast pace down the corridor, pulling me along with him.
"Ninety-two. Ninety-three," he murmurs to himself counting each shelf his breaths become heavy, "ninety-four. Ninety-five."

We speed up and I almost can't keep up with him. All of a sudden, he stops.
He moves his wand around the empty floor looking for something that isn't there. He looks at me, nervous.
"He should be here," he claims.

"Harry," Neville says staring intensely at one of the balls, "it's got your name on it."

(a/n: I'm so sorry that that sounded incredibly dirty.)

Harry releases my hand and walks up to the spherical object. He gazes into it, entranced and reaches out and picks it up.
"The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches," it speaks in a croaking voice, "and the Dark Lord shall mark him as his equal but he shall have power the Dark Lord knows not. For neither can live while the other survives."

"Harry," I breathe looking straight at a death eater that just presented itself.
Harry rushes in front of us, still holding what I now realise to be a prophecy.
We all hold up our wands ready to fight.

The death eater gradually approaches us.
"Where's Sirius?" Harry asks his voice reining confidence.
"You know, you really should learn to tell the difference between dreams..." the man speaks slowly.
I instantly recognise his voice. The death eater whips out his wand and waves it in front of his mask withering it away to reveal Lucius Malfoy himself. 

"And reality," he finishes, smirking, "you saw only what the Dark Lord wanted you to see. Now, hand me the prophecy."

Of course. That's what they wanted, the prophecy.

And only Harry could get it.

"If you do anything to us, I'll break it," Harry's words are rushed.

A cackle comes from behind Lucius.
"He knows how to play. Itty, bitty baby," a dark-haired woman I recognise from the newspaper steps into view, "Potter."