part four - chapter 1

(y/n pov)

Summer flies by in a breeze.
My dad takes time to grieve over the loss of yet another of his best friends but I help him through it and eventually, manage to get him out of the house and we spend time together.

We visit bookstores, cafes, record shops, and art museums. We make pottery and paint and do all sorts of things. Some days we just sit together in the conservatory, reading.
We talk about everything and finally achieve the father-daughter bond I've always wanted.

The first summer I knew him it was slightly awkward after finding out the man who had abandoned my family was my professor and a werewolf. Besides, he mostly spent time catching up with my mum.
Last summer we were both too depressed from the loss of her and Cedric.

But now, we finally had the chance to bond and truly get to know each other.

Last week, I received a letter from Ron inviting me to spend the rest of the summer at the Weasleys. So now I pack my bags in anticipation to see them. I don't blast my music obnoxiously loud this time though.

My dad knocks on my door.
"Come in," I say and turn to face the him.

He enters and smiles at me.
"Y/n, I've just found something," he walks into my room and sits on the empty space of my bed. I sit beside him.
"What is it?" I ask him.

He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a beautiful gold necklace with a small star made out of garnet. I hold it in my hands and turn it over.
On the back of the tiny star reads, 'r.j + h.m'

"It was your mother's," Dad says, "well, I gave it to her when we were in our sixth year. Garnet is her birthstone you see."
"It's beautiful, Dad," I breathe.
"It's yours," he says.

"Dad..."
"No, no I insist," he says, "she would have wanted you to have it. Now turn around."
I smile at him doing what he says and brushing my hair over to one shoulder. He fastens the necklace around my neck.

"Thank you," I smile at him.
"You're very welcome, darling," he smiles and strokes my face, "you know, you look more like her every day."
"I love you," I say, a tear rolling down my cheek which he gently wipes away.
"I love you too," he replies and hugs me close.

~~

I arrive at the Weasleys a few hours later and the second I step through the door Mrs Weasley greets me with a warm smile and a big hug.
"Y/n! It's so nice to see you again," she coos.
"It's nice to see you too," I smile at the sweet woman.

"Y/n!" Hermione greets me first and hugs me. Ron then hugs me and soon after, Ginny.
"Where's Harry?" I ask the question I've been wanting to ask the second I arrived.
"Dunno if he's coming," Ron says, "I think he'll owl before."

I nod, trying to mask my disappointment.
~~

"Mum?" Ginny calls from downstairs.
"Ginny, what is it?" Molly asks.
"I was only wondering when Harry got here," Ginny says, catching my attention. I hop out of bed and stand in the doorway.
"What? Harry? Harry who?" Molly asks again.
"Harry Potter, of course," Ginny replies.

"I think I'd know if Harry Potter was in my house, wouldn't I?" I hear Molly's footsteps descend the stairs.

"His trunks in the kitchen, and his owl," Ginny says.
"No dear, I seriously doubt that."

Hedwig chirps.
"What are they talking about, Y/n?" Ron asks from his bed.
"I don't know, something about Harry's trunk being here," I answer.

Ron gets up and walks into the hall leaning over the bannister.
"Harry? Did someone say Harry?" he calls down.
"Me, nosy. Is he up there with you?" Ginny asks.

"Of course not. I'd know if my best friend was in my room, wouldn't I?" he replies.
"Uh, she is!" I joke and walk to stand beside Ron, "Gin, is Harry actually here?"

"We're not sure," she laughs.
Hedwig chirps again and rustles in her cage.

"Is that an owl I heard?" Hermione pops her head out from the bathroom.
"You haven't seen him, have you?" Ginny asks, "apparently he's wandering about the house."
"Really?"
"Really," Ron says.

"Harry!" Mrs Weasley exclaims and shuffles downstairs. Ron runs after her but I go back into Ron's room to double check how I look before I see him.
Once decided I look fine, I hurry down the stairs to find him hugging Mrs Weasley.

She pulls away from him and he spots me. His entire face lights up and I feel mine do the same.
I run towards him and he opens his arms wrapping me into a tight hug.

He holds my head against him.

I release him but only so much so that I can kiss him.
I press my lips against his and he breathes in my kiss and I don't ever want to stop but Ron clears his throat from behind us.

I pull away, slightly embarrassed but I still leave my arms wrapped around Harry's waist and his, around mine.

"Why didn't you let us know you were coming?" Molly asks, smiling at us.
"I didn't know," he says, his voice filling me with serotonin, "Dumbledore."
"Oh, that man!" Molly smiles and Harry laughs, "but then what would we do without him."

Our attention is drawn suddenly to Ron who just reached over to wipe something off Hermione's cheek. She looks at him smiling, still holding her toothbrush.

"Got a bit of toothpaste," he says turning red.
I look at Hermione and she smiles to herself and Ginny looks in between them, knowingly.

Harry looks at me and smiles before hugging me again.

~~

We sit in Ron's room, Harry burns a bit of newspaper above a tray. I sit beside him and Hermione and Ron sit opposite us.
"So when did u get here?" he asks.
"A few days ago," Hermione answers, "Y/n only a few hours ago. Though for a while I wasn't sure I was coming."

Harry looks at her, confused.
"Mum sort of lost it last week," Ron admits, "said Ginny and I had no business going back to Hogwarts. That's it's too dangerous."
"Oh, come on," Harry says.

"She's not alone," Hermione interjects, "even my parents and they're muggles know there's something bad happening."

"Anyway, Dad stepped in, told her she was being barmy and it took a few days but she came around," Ron says.
"But this is Hogwarts we're talking about," Harry says, "it's Dumbledore. What could be safer?"

"Well, there's been some talk recently that Dumbledores sort of getting a bit," I pause before saying the rest, "old."
"Rubbish! He's only...what is he?" Harry asks.

"A hundred and fifty? Give or take a few years," Ron jokes cracking into a smile. 

We all start laughing, uncontrollably.

~~

"Hey," I say to Harry after he's changed into his pyjamas and gotten ready for bed.
"Hi," he says placing his hands on my waist and pulling me close to him, "I've missed you."

He kisses me again.

"I've missed you too," I say, smiling. I bring my hands up to his cheeks, "god, you just get hotter every summer I swear."
Harry laughs at this.

"So do you," he smiles.
"And I love what you've done with your hair," I compliment running my hands through it.
"Yeah I let it grow out a little," he explains, "hey, do you mind if I share your bed with you tonight? The Weasleys don't have a spare mattress and I'd rather not share with Ron. He's a kicker."

I laugh, "of course."
I stand on my tiptoes to kiss him again.

"I love it when you kiss me," he whispers against my lips.

I pull away, taunting him and grab his hand leading him to my bed.
I climb in first then he gets in after me and scoots in from behind. I feel arms wrap around my body and his head rests in my neck so as he breathes, his hot breaths send chills down my body.

I move my hand on top of his and interlock out fingers.

Peace. 

1392 words - 2/9/22

I know it's 'technically' the second of september because it's 12:55 am but happy first of september folks.
I'm kinda sad i'm not in Hogwarts rn but ig i'll live. 🙄