part three - chapter 2

(y/n pov)

This is probably one of the first nights I've enjoyed in ages. Everyone laughs and jokes, the mood airy and light. I sit beside Harry and every so often I can't help but notice how his hand brushes against mine under the table.

"This is very, very peculiar," Arthur tells Harry, "it seems that your hearing at the ministry is to be before the entire Wizengamot."
"I don't understand, what has the Ministry of Magic got against me?" Harry asks.

Arthur hesitates at his question.
"Show him. He'll know soon enough," Moody grumbles.

Everyone's eyes are now on Harry, waiting for his reaction as Kingsley shows him the newspaper. We all watch in suspense as Harry's eyes scan the headline.
"Now he's been attacking Dumbledore as well," Sirius says as if that makes it any better, "Fudge is using all his power, including his influence at the Daily Prophet to smear anyone who claims the dark lord has returned."

"Why?" Harry asks.
"He thinks Dumbledore's after his job," I say and everyone looks at me, surprised I said anything. I roll my eyes, "yeah you guys I can still talk."

"No one in their right mind could believe that about Dumbledore-" Harry says but is interrupted.
"Exactly the point, Fudge isn't in his right mind, it has been twisted and warped by fear," my dad says, "now fear makes people do terrible things, Harry. The last time Voldemort gained power he almost destroyed everything we hold most dear. Now he's returned and I'm afraid the minister will do almost anything to avoid facing that terrifying truth."

"We think Voldemort wants to build up his army again. Fourteen years ago, he had huge numbers at his command and not just witches and wizards, but all manners of dark creatures. He's been recruiting heavily and we've been attempting to do the same. But gathering followers isn't the only thing he's interested in," Sirius pauses and I shuffle uncomfortably in my seat, not liking this new form of conversation, "we believe...Voldemort may be after something."

"Sirius," Moody says warningly.

I look at Harry who keeps his vision trained on Sirius, waiting for an answer to one of his many burning questions.
"Something he didn't have last time," Sirius ignores him.

"You mean like a weapon?" Harry asks.
Sirius opens his mouth but luckily Molly steps in before he can say anything else.
"No. That's enough. He's just a boy," she says firmly and storms up behind him, placing a protective hand on his shoulder and snatching the paper away from him, "you say much more and you might as well induct him into the Order."

"Good I want to join," Harry says fiercely, "if Voldemort's raising an army then I want to fight."
Sirius smirks and nods at Molly. He leans back in his chair and I can see a flicker in Harry's smile showing he was happy to make his Godfather proud. Sirius gives him a discreet wink.

~time skip~

The next morning, it's time for Harry's hearing. I go into his room and lean against the doorframe, smirking as I watch him struggle with the buttons on his shirt.
"Need some help with that?" I laugh.
"Please."

I walk forward and do his buttons, one by one as he watches me. When I'm done I smooth his shirt out and I meet his gaze and there's something about the way he looks at me that makes me wonder...

"Thank you," he laughs nervously, "my hands are too shaky."
"No problem," I smile and he blushes and looks at the ground, I take his face in my hands gently, making him look at me, "Hey, don't worry about this stupid trial. Remember, you're in the right here."

I hand him his jacket and watch as he slips it on. We walk downstairs but I stop him at the door. 
"Good luck," I say and kiss him on the cheek, close to his mouth, "you look very handsome."