part two - chapter 17

A few hours later, I decided to go on a walk to clear my head and figure out what to do about this stupid dance.
By now, all the boys (and girls) who asked me probably already had dates, so I couldn't go back now.

I sighed as I reached the owlery and leaned against the window, thinking how I would probably end up going on my own when I was approached by someone.
"Hey, Y/n," Cedric's bright voice said, as he came and stood next to me by the window.
"Hi Ced," I smiled, turning so I was now facing him.

"So, I was wondering..." he trailed off and looked down at his shoes.
"Yes?"
"If you wanted to go to the ball with me?" he asked looking back up and catching my gaze.

"Of course!" I said happily.
"Great," he smiled widely at me, "I've been wanting to ask you out for ages to be honest and this was a perfect opportunity."

"Really?" I ask surprised. I had no idea how well I pulled until this week.
"Yeah," he laughs awkwardly, "I've got to go, my friends are waiting to see what you said but see you around?"

I nod and he kisses me on the cheek and leaves almost slipping on one of the steps before regaining his balance.
"Careful," I laugh.
He smiles back, going slightly pink with embarrassment before hurrying back down the stairs.

I smile wide with pure happiness.
I have a date to the yule ball, with Cedric Diggory!

I decide to leave the Owlery, in a different direction than Cedric, to go tell Hermione immediately.
I go to walk out but not before I bump into someone.

"Y/n!" Harry exclaims.
"Harry!"

We try to get past one another but end up trying to go in the same direction. I laugh awkwardly and grab Harry's arms, turning him in as I walk out.
"Watch yourself on the stairs, it's a bit icy at the top," I point out and he thanks me.

I begin to walk down the stairs, taking my time so as not to slip but I don't get very far because I'm stopped by Harry calling my name.
"Yes?" I respond to him.
"Uhm, well I just wondered if you officially wanted to-" but I couldn't hear the rest of what Harry said because he was cut off by the owls, fluttering in the background, screeching loudly as they did.

"Sorry? I didn't catch that," I say.
"I was just wondering if maybe you wanted to go to the ball with me," Harry says, "and not as a second reserve. An actual date."

"Oh, um," I stutter guiltily, "Harry, I'm sorry but someone already asked me and...well, I've said I'd go with him."

Harry's face flashes with disappointment but he nods still, "okay. Yeah, great. Fine, no problem. Okay, good."

He flashes me a small smile before walking away.
"Harry?" I call out after him and he quickly walks back, a slimmer of hope evident in his eyes, "I really am...sorry."

He gives me another nod and I give him a sad smile before heading back down the steps.

~time skip~

(harry pov)

I lie on the common room sofa, cradling my egg and watching the flames dance in the fireplace, thinking about Y/n.
She's all that's consumed my thoughts these past few days, other than this stupid egg.

I think I might be falling in love with her all over again.
But she's fallen for someone else.

Thankfully, my sullen thoughts are interrupted by a crowd of Gryffindors, who enter the common room, all surrounding a shaken looking Ron.
"It's alright, Ron," Ginny comforts him, holding him by the arm, "it's okay Ron it's alright, it doesn't matter."

"What happened to you?" I ask as his rather pale face comes into the light of the fire and is sat down on a chair.
"He just asked Fleur Delacour out," Ginny sighs.