part two - chapter 7

A few days later, the first of September had rolled around once again and there we were, sitting in our little compartment. Hermione sat next to me reading the news about what happened at the match while Crookshanks sat peacefully between us.

"Anything from the trolley?" we heard the faint voice of the trolley witch grow closer as she made her usual rounds.

Ron and Harry jumped at the sound and fetched their money just as she arrived out of our compartment, "anything from the trolley, dears?"
"Packet of Drooble's," Ron began, "and a liquorice wand."

The witch passed him the Drooble's and Ron looked guiltily down at the money he had in his hand, "on second thought, just the Drooble's."

 "It's all right, I'll get it. Don't worry," Harry says.
I can't help but gush over how cute that was and I have no idea why.

"Just the Drooble's. Thanks," Ron sighs handing the witch the money and sitting back down, leaving room for me to stand up next to Harry.

"Can I get a-" I begin but I'm cut off by a voice from behind. 
"Two pumpkin pasties, please."

Harry and I turn to look at the owner of the sweet voice, Cho Chang.
He looks at her with utter adoration and I elbow him because he's staring and Cho's friends behind her seem to have noticed because they start giggling at Harry.

The witch hands Cho her food to which she utters a small, "thank you."
She looks at Harry for a second, smiles sweetly and then walks off.

"Anything sweet for you, dear?" she asks Harry.
"Oh no, I'm not hungry. Thank you," he says taking one last glance at Cho before retreating back into the compartment. The trolley witch takes this as her cue to leave before I even get the chance to order anything.

I scoff and sit down beside Harry this time, who looks high as a kite as he stares dreamily at the floor.

"This is horrible," Hermione says, "how can the ministry not know who's conjured it? Wasn't there any security or..."

"Loads according to dad," Ron said with his mouth full, "that's what worried them so much. Happened right under their noses."
I notice Harry reach up and itch his scar.

"It's hurting again, isn't it? Your scar," I state.
"I'm fine," he replies.

Hermione leans forward in her seat, "you know Sirius will want to hear about this...what you saw at the World Cup and the dream."
Harry sighs and looks out the window.

~time skip~

For most of the train ride there, Harry is busy writing a long letter to Sirius and Hermione and Ron are both doing their own things in silence so I decide to take out my book and try and finish it.

After about an hour or so more, we finally arrive at Hogwarts, but we quickly find we're not the only people arriving.

Everyone crowds round to watch a flying carriage, pulled by Pegasus, float onto the school grounds.
We watch as Hagrid tries to navigate it to land.

"Clear the runway," he calls out waving his boards and trying to dodge the feet of the pegasus as they land, but he ends up having to dive out of the way.
"There's something you don't see every day!" Fred laughs.

"Look!" some kid calls out and we all move our eyeline to the Black lake to watch a ship emerge out of the water.

Eventually, Professor McGonagall herds the rest of us inside where we watch the sorting of the first years and wait patiently for some sort of explanation.
"Well, now we're all settled in and sorted, I'd like to make an announcement!" Dumbledore says at long last.