part two - chapter 15

"The yule ball," Professor McGonagall explains as we sit waiting for Filch to set up this prominent record player, "has been a tradition of the Triwizard Tournament since its inception. On Christmas Eve night, we and our guests gather in the Great hall for a night of well-mannered frivolity. As representatives of the host school, I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward and I mean this literally because the Yule Ball is, first and foremost, a dance."

The girls begin to chatter excitedly as the boys groan and complain amongst each other.

"Silence!" McGonagall says, "the house of Goodrich Gryffindor has commanded the respect of the wizarding world for nearly ten centuries. I will not have you, in the course of a single evening, besmirching that name by behaving like a babbling, bumbling band of baboons."

That's a mouthful.

"Now to dance is to let the body breathe," McGonagall continues, "inside every girl, a secret swan slumbers longing to burst forth and take flight."

I see Ron lean over and mutter something to Seamus and they both snicker.
McGonagall notices this because she looks straight at Ron as she continues. Ron's expression quickly turns from one of amusement to one of fear.
"Inside every boy, a lordly lion prepared to prance. Mr Weasley."

McGonagall approaches Ron as he mutters a small, "yes?"
"Will you join me please?" she requests and I fight to hold in my laughter.
He hesitantly stands, Harry smiles happily and gives him a small shove as he does.

Ron shuffles to the centre of the room, hands shoved in his pockets.
"Now, place your right hand on my waist," McGonagall instructs.

Ron flushes a shade of red before whispering, "where?!"
"My waist."

Fred wolf-whistles as Ron does as he's told and puts his hand on McGonagall's waist, and Ron shoots him a death stare.

"And extend your arm," McGonagall corrects Ron's hands before yelling to Filch, "Mr Filch, if you please."

Filch turns on the record and the song begins to play.
"One, two, three," McGonagall repeats as she and Ron waltz about the classroom. I have to cover my mouth with my hand to prevent myself from laughing. I look at Fred and George across the room, they sway together imitating Ron who still sends glares their way when McGonagall isn't looking.
Harry mutters something to Fred and George and they lean into him and I hear them reply with, "never."

"Everybody, come together," McGonagall says and all the girls, quickly do as they're told but the boys remain seated, huffing, "boys on your feet!"
Neville is the boy to stand and I truly admire him for it. I walk over to where Harry is still sitting and take a small bow, outstretching my hand.

"Will you do me the honours?" I smirk as Harry smiles, nods and takes my hand.
I lead him to the middle of the floor, and since one of his arms is wrapped in a sling, place my hands around his neck.
He places his free hand on my waist and we sway together along with the other students.

"So," I say, "who are you thinking of asking to the dance."
"We have to ask someone?" he says with a look of panic.
"Well, obviously you don't have to but most people will and you don't want to be all lonely on the dance floor," I say.
"I have no idea who to ask," he sighs and stares blankly at the floor.

"What about Cho?" I suggest, "I mean, you quite clearly like her."
"I guess..." he says sceptically, "but I don't think she likes me like that. Plus, even if she did agree to go with me, I'd be far too awkward and nervous to talk to her, let alone dance."
"Alright point proven," I laugh and then a thought pops into my head, "hey I have an idea, if we both don't have dates by the evening before the ball, we should go together."

"Really?" Harry asks, excitedly.
"Of course! But you still have to ask someone, Cho or not and you can't put it off just for me. This is only as a last reserve," I explain.
"Yeah of course," he smiles, "and the same goes for you. If someone asks you out, and you genuinely want to go, then say yes."

I laugh, "I doubt anyone will ask me out, Potter."
"What are you talking about?" Harry asks, genuinely looking confused.
"I repulse males," I smirk, "whereas you, you're Harry fucking Potter. You're the chosen one. You fought a bloody dragon for god's sake and still look perfect! You'll probably get a date in the first two days and I'll end up going alone."

"Y/n Lupin, what the fuck are you on about," Harry scoffs, "you don't 'repulse males' Y/n if you showed the tiniest bit of interest in any of the boys in this room they'd practically throw themselves at you. You just have this energy that's so attractive to everyone and literally, half the boys in the school have a crush on you. Not to mention your fucking gorgeous."

I can't help but feel flustered at Harry's words.
"Damn Potter," I manage to say, "I still think you're wrong though."
"Fine," he says confidently, "watch yourself be proved wrong this next week then."
"I anticipate it."

20/4/22 - 858 words

baes I'm so sorry for such a short chapter but I wanted the next bit to be its own chapter and I should have that up for you lot tomorrow. <3

Uh, I didn't do very well in my physics test but to be fair, we had different sub teachers every lesson for the past like three months and I only had like two days (after school as well, not even the weekend) to revise but it's fine, I got above half which I can deal with.