chapter three

We wake up unreasonably early for our first lesson of the year, Divination. The sun is shining, and the birds are chirping and I'm miserable.
I hate divination, the only reason I picked it was because I was told it was an easy pass by Fred and George.

Now that I think about it, maybe I shouldn't have listened to them.

"Welcome, my children," Professor Trelawney speaks to the half-asleep class, "in this room, you shall explore the noble art of Divination. In this room, you shall discover if you possess the Sight."
She stands up, bumping into the small table in front of her earning a few chuckles from the class.

"Hello! I am Professor Trelawney," she introduces herself even though we all know who she is, "together we shall cast ourselves into the future. This term, we'll focus on Tasseomancy, the art of reading tea leaves. So please, take the cup of the person sitting opposite you. What do you see?"

I pick up Harry's cup, Ron picks up mine and Harry, Ron's. I peer into the cup trying to interpret what was inside but I couldn't see anything extremely noticeable.
"The truth lies buried like a sentence deep within a book, waiting to be read," she says leaving me more dumbfounded than before, she floats around the classroom, she shakes Seamus' head, "but first, you must broaden your minds. First, you must look beyond."

"What a load of rubbish," Hermione scoffs appearing out of nowhere.
"Where did you come from?" Ron asks confirming I'm not the only one who didn't notice her.
"Me?" she questions, "I've been here all this time."

"You, boy," Trelawney approaches Neville, "is your grandmother quite well?"
"Uh, I think so," Neville says, nervously.
"I wouldn't be so sure of that. Give me the cup," Trelawney beckons picks up his cup of tea out of Dean's hands and pears into it and tuts, "pity."

"Broaden your minds," she says, spots us and hurries over to us, "ooh ooh, your aura is passing, dear. Are you in the beyond? I think you are."
I nodded awkwardly, "sure."

"Look at the cup. Tell me what you see," she says.
"Well," I peer into the cup and open up the tea leaves book trying to find a similar pattern, "Harry's got a wonky cross kind of which means trials and sufferings and that there could be the sun obviously meaning happiness. So, in conclusion, he's gonna suffer but be...happy about it."
Trelawney looks at me sceptically and Harry gives me a cute smile.

"Give me the cup," she beckons, takes one look at it and loudly gasps and chucks the cup back onto the table in fear, "oh, my dear boy... my dear, you have the grim!"

I look at Harry, his face pale and fearful. He goes to pick up the cup.
"The Grin? What's the Grin?" Seamus asks.
"Not the Grin, you idiot. The Grim," Deam replies.

"Taking form of a giant spectral dog," Bem reads aloud to the class, "it's among the darkest omens in our world. It's an omen...of death."
Harry peers into the cup and his face falls as he now stares at the omen.

~~

"You don't think the Grim thing's got anything to do with Sirius Black?" Ron asks once Divination had ended and we then walk down to Care of Magical creatures.
"Oh honestly, Ron. If you ask me, Divination's a woolly discipline," Hermione says, "now, Ancient Runes that's a fascinating subject."
"Ancient Runes? How have you been allowed to take this many subjects," I say, "I wasn't even allowed to take one extra."
"Hang on. That's not possible," Ron points out, " Ancient Runes is on the same time as Divination. You'd have to be in two classes at once."

"Don't be silly. How could anyone be in two classes at once?" Hermione says before changing the subject, "'broaden your minds. Use your Inner Eye to see the future.'"

She giggles a cute laugh.

~~

"That's it, come on, now," Hagrid gestures us to move forward, "come closer, less talking if you don't mind. I got a real treat for you today. A great lesson so follow me."

We follow him into the forest feeling slightly skeptical based on the last couple of times we followed him in willingly. Ron and I glance at each other and he makes his nervous face.

We eventually make our way into a small open part of the woods. It's quite nice in the day actually, but still remains its ominous aura.
I stand beside Harry as we wait for Hagrid to begin his class.
"Right, you lot. Less chattering. Form a group over there," Hagrid starts, "and open your books to page 49."

I hesitate before doing so remembering the last time I attempted to open it in the summer it didn't end so well.
"Exactly how do we do that?" Malfoy asks what we're all thinking in a much ruder way.
"Wll, just stroke the spine of course. Goodness me," Hagrid says as though its the most obvious thing in the world.

Well, that would have saved me an hour or so and about two galleons on plasters but it is what it is.