part two - chapter 18

(y/n pov)

Cedric and I dance beautifully, despite the lack of practice we've had. 
The way he looks at me makes me feel so special and loved, as he holds me close to his body.

The waltz feels like it lasts a lifetime, while in reality it probably only lasted about twenty minutes before the rock band comes on stage.
"Do you wanna take a break?" Cedric asked taking off the robe and laying it on a nearby chair.
"I don't mind," I say because I honestly don't, "what do you want to do?"
"Dance with you," he smirks, grabbing my waist and pulling me closer to the front where I see Hermione and wave at her, to which she waves back. She looks absolutely stunning tonight.

Cedric and I dance, not physically touching, but very close together he shakes his head from side to side, his hair flopping about and I laugh at how cute he looks. He grabs my hand and we sway back and forth to the music.

Finally, the song finishes and Cedric and I leave the crowd with Hermione and Viktor to take a break.

"I'm going to go get us some drinks," Viktor says.
"I'll help you out," Cedric offers, before kissing me on the cheek and walking off with Viktor.

Hermione and I look at each other, smiles bright and exchange a thousand words just by a look. We're both freaking out inside.

I look over to where Harry and Ron are sitting and tug Hermione's arm towards them. Hermione sits down beside Harry and I pull up a chair in front.
"Hot, isn't it?" Hermione sighs still grinning.
"Viktor and Ced have gone to get us drinks. Do you wanna join us?" I ask and Harry opens his mouth to reply but is quickly interrupted by Ron.

"No, we'd not care to join you and them two," he says sourly.
"What's got your wand in a knot?" Hermione asks, looking slightly upset with Ron's response.

"He's a Durmstrang," Ron leans in and whispers, "you're fraternizing with the enemy."
"The enemy? Who was it wanting his autograph," Hermione snaps making Ron pull a face, "besides, the whole point of the tournament is international magical cooperation, to make friends."

"I think he's got a bit more than friendship on his mind," Ron says.
Hermione stands up, in silence, shakes her head and then walks off. 

"What are you trying to do, Ron?" I hiss and he shrugs.
"I just don't think it's appropriate that she's going with Harry's opponent when we should be supporting him. Besides, he's way too old for her."

"No, you only think it's not appropriate that she's not going with you because deep down, you have feelings for her," I scoff and stand up, "and Cedric's older than me and is Harry's enemy but you don't care much about him do you?"

Ron looks to the floor in silence before uttering, "just leave Y/n, you're wrong."
"Fine," I say angrily and walk off.

I meet Cedric again and he must've noticed my sudden change in expression because he asks, "you okay?"

"Yeah, it's just Ron's kinda acting like a dick," I sigh.
"What did he do to you?" Cedric asks his tone faltering ever so slightly.
"Nothing bad, he's just-"

But I don't get to finish my sentence because I'm interrupted by someone.
"Y/n," I turn to see Theo with his eyebrows raised slightly.
"Oh yeah, Ced I'm so sorry I sort of promised Theo a dance," I explain.

"Don't worry about it," Cedric smiles at Theo but gives him a look, "but I want you back after okay?"

I nod and kiss him on the cheek once more before walking off with Theo. The next song that comes on just so happens to be a slow song so I wrap my hands around Theo's neck while he places his on my waist.
I can't help but look over at Harry and Ron who are still sitting in the same seats, each glaring at me and Theo.
"You seem distracted," Theo says.
"Oh, I'm sorry," I apologise, "there's just a lot going on right now."

"You uh, can talk about it if you like," he offers with an uncomfortable-looking expression indicating he wouldn't really like that.
"No, it's fine," I laugh, "but thanks."

He nods but his eyes flick back to where I imagine Cedric is sitting because he says, "so you came with Diggory, huh?"
"Yeah," I say smiling, "who'd you come with?"
"Astoria. I didn't really want to but Blaise convinced me to so, yeah."

I nod, not knowing what else to say.
"We would've made a cute couple," he smirks.
"Oh yeah?" I laugh.
"Yeah," he says, "I mean look at me."
We laugh at him before his face turns a little more serious, "but honestly though, you look absolutely gorgeous tonight."

I don't know why but I feel really flustered all of a sudden, "oh, well, thank you so much."
"I think Potter's eyes must be pretty dry from unblinkingly staring at you all night," he looks above my head at Harry and turns around slightly so I can see him.
"Oh Harry?" I stutter, "I mean we dated for the shortest amount of time ever in third year but now we're back to friends."

"You sure he feels that way too, love?" Theo chuckles to himself.
"What do you mean?"
"What I mean, is I saw the way he looked at you as you walked down those stairs," Theo explains, "he looks at you the way Pansy looks at Draco in class. He wants you so bad."

I look at Harry once more and I watch as his eyes light up and he smiles when we make eye contact, and for a split second, I see it. Theo watches me as I slowly realise it and he laughs.
"You're cute," he smiles.

Just then, the song is over and I say goodbye to Theo and walk back to Cedric.
"Hey," I smile.
"Hello beautiful," he beams, "care to dance?"

I nod happily and he takes both of my hands, leading me back onto the dance floor. 
He wraps his arms around my waist. I rest my head on his chest and he rests his on my head as we sway from side to side.
I look up at him after a few minutes and just stare into his beautiful brown eyes.
"Hi," I whisper.
"Hey," he whispers back before leaning down and placing a soft kiss on my lips.

We pull away after a few seconds and I smile at him before putting my head back on his chest.

~time skip~ 

Once Cedric leaves, I decide to find my friends. I spot Harry walking out from somewhere looking rather miserable.
"Where did you go?" I ask with a cheerful tone.
He opens his mouth but is interrupted by the loud sound of Hermione and Ron arguing.

"He's using you!" Ron states.
"How dare you! Besides, I can take care of myself," Hermione retorts.
"I doubt it. He's way too old," Ron scoffs at her.
"What?! What, that's what you think?"
"Yeah, that's what I think."

They exit the great hall and Harry and I watched as they make their way to the stairs.
"Well you know the solution then dont you?" Hermione says through tears.
"Go on."
"Next time there's a ball pluck up the courage and ask me before someone else does," Hermione cries, "and not as a last resort."
"W-well that's- I mean that's just completely off the point," Ron stutters, "Harry, Y/n."

Hermione turns around and asks Harry, "where have you been? Nevermind, off to bed both of you."
Harry gave Ron an annoyed luck and brushed past Hermione towards him, as they began to ascend the stairs.

"They get scary when they get older," Ron mumbles to him.
"RON, YOU SPOILED EVERYTHING!" Hermione yells through a sob scaring Ron and Harry off.

She falls to the stairs in tears and I immediately rush to her side. She unstraps her shoe and starts to sob so I wrap an arm around her like she did for me a while ago.
"I can't believe I used to like him," she whispers and leans her head against my neck, and I place mine atop of hers.

"It's gonna be okay Hermione," I put on a soothing voice, "you will always have me."

1327 words - 25/4/22

Aaaaand it's over :(