s e v e n t e e n

"So, Artie's directing the musical." Kara stated as the four sat in the sewing room of Dalton academy, Sketching the outfits that would be made once everyone had been cast.

Marina nodded, humming in agreement. "He's trying to get Finn to co-direct it."

Arabella stopped, paling. "What if we get a really bratty bunch of kids?"

Jamie snorted in laughter. "It's basically only going to be members of the New Directions, idiot." Arabella then nodded in contemplation.

"You four have been here forever." Jeff complained as he entered the large room.

"It takes forever to perfect this." Kara stated absentmindedly, still sketching.

Arabella stood, looking over to Jeff. She took the equipment from Kara's hands. "No, it doesn't. We can keep going later. We're nearly done anyway." She told them, urging the three to stand. They did, eventually, and followed Jeff back to their dorm's open area, where the boys were sitting.

Sebastian looked to Marina. "I spoke to Bobby about Sectionals." He told her, "When we win, we're having one of our fancy parties."

"Ah, yes." Arabella nodded, "One where we get hammered and then stay in the bathrooms being sick for a day and a half." She referred to what happened the year before, the group exchanging looks.

"And when Thad has sex with a McKinley Cheerio." Sebastian teased the boy, smirking. Thad bat his hand away.

"Nah, Sebby, this year it'll be you." Marina taunted knowingly.

The boy smirked back at her, "Well, maybe this year you'll get some too." He was just as knowing, subtly looking to Hunter. Thankfully, nobody noticed.

"I doubt that." Nick responded, "Marina could care less for romance." Little did he know, Marina supposed.

Jeff shushed his boyfriend. "Hey, she hated America at first. Marina's been here a year, she can care for romance now."

"I couldn't care less." Trent said instead, gesturing to himself. Jamie nodded in agreement.

"Anyway," Kara hummed, "We have to go and suffer through auditions tomorrow."

Marina, Arabella, Kara, Jamie, Artie, and Finn all sat in the auditorium, watching as many people auditioned. So far, nobody was good enough to get cast. Until Blaine walked up onto the stage, singing Hopelessly Devoted to You with a hell of a lot of feeling.

"No matter who he's playing I want him in." Jamie whispered to the group.

"Amen." Kara nodded in agreement.

"Maybe not as Danny," Arabella murmured, "He was Tony in West Side Story last year- we can't have the same boy as a lead two years in a row." 

When he finished, the group clapped politely as he looked to them, the group nodding in thought. "Say something." Artie whispered to Finn, who looked back at him in confusion.

"Like what?"

"I think I speak for both- all- of us when I say that though you auditioned with a Sandy song, you are the Danny Zuko of our dreams." Artie stated. He then looked to the five, specifically Finn. "Right?"

"Yeah, yeah, totally. You were awesome." Finn agreed.

"Amazing." Artie nodded. Marina and the others nodded, too.

"I can't." Blaine said, tears springing to his eyes. "I'm sorry, I just can't, Finn. I didn't want to let you down, but Grease is a romance, and how can I play any of the scenes if I have ruined mine?" He paused, taking a breath. "I don't think I would be able to play the truth of Danny Zuko. Thank you for letting me audition, but I-I just can't."

"But wait." Artie said.

"Blaine, is there any part you think you could play? We want you on this cast." Marina smiled.

His voice was weak, he was near tears. "I don't think so. Maybe... Maybe teen angel. It's only one scene, but probably not." He then rushed off the stage as the group exchanged worried looks.

"Wow, I've never seen Blaine so... Masterpiece theatre." Artie said to the group, speaking mostly to himself.

"Look, sorry, man. I know you're just trying to help, but this is a bad idea." Finn stood, leaving the auditorium.

"I'll take this, Artie." Marina muttered, going to follow the boy. "Finn, hold up. What was a bad idea?"

"Me directing. I'm not qualified for any of this, Marina." Finn replied, hostility to his voice.

"Listen, Finn. I didn't think I could do anything Figgins asked me last year. I thought Schuester would hate me. You have to trust your instincts. But also, part of being a good director is surrounding yourself with the right people. I think. The right choreographer, and an iconic choreographer, and the right vocal Coach, right? It is. Just trust me."

Marina grinned. "So, I talked to Artie, and he called in some favours, and the cavalry has just arrived." From behind her, Mercedes and Mike walked through the halls of McKinley high. Artie, Arabella, Jamie, and Kara stood at the doors of the auditorium, watching as the pair came to meet Marina and Finn.

Finn's face lit up in happiness, as did Mike and Mercedes', Arabella, and Artie both moving forward to meet the pair as well. Mercedes gave Marina a quick hug, doing the same to Arabella and Artie before giving Finn a longer hug. Mike bro-hugged Finn and Artie, giving Arabella a half-hug. He and Marina did a mini dance routine, laughing.

Arabella glanced to Jamie and Kara, pulling them into their circle. "Mike, Mercedes, this is Kara, and that's Jamie." The blonde pointed from person to person as she spoke, "They're our new best friends and some of the new New Directions members."

Mercedes then looked to Marina. "I heard Mr. Schue kicked you off?"

She nodded, "But we're on semi-okay terms. He lets me in the choir room, I can still sing with y'all but no competitions." She explained.