t h i r t y - f o u r

Thad and Sebastian had been tasked with making Marina ready for the dance. Trent was helping Jamie, Nick was helping Arabella, and Jeff would be helping Kara. Hunter had been tasked with having the best reaction when he saw the girls-specifically Marina.

The four changed into their dresses without showing anyone, going back to their respective boy for them to do their hair and makeup. They gave Marina smoky black eyeshadow and eyeliner, lightly curling her hair. Jamie's hair was in a half up-half down style, purple eyeshadow on their eyes to match with the flowing purple dress they wore. Kara and Arabella wore matching dresses, the colours alternating. Arabella's hair was straightened, Kara's staying at its natural wave. Arabella wore light blue eyeshadow whilst Kara wore eyeshadow of s light pink.

Jamie stepped out first, Hunter grinning at her with a nod. "Purple really suits you, Jamie." He was in his suit, the blood red tie matching Marina's pantsuit. Jamie was going solo to the dance, not wanting to take anyone.

Kara stepped out next. She did a twirl for Hunter, the boy laughing. "Pastel isn't usually my thing, but you look awesome." He repeated his statement when Arabella stepped out into Kara's arms.

Hunter held his breath as he waited for Marina. She stepped out with a smile on her face, some of her hair in her eyes as she looked up at Hunter. He brushed the hair out of her face, cupping her cheek with a smile. "You're astounding." Hunter stated.

Marina fixed Hunter's tie, smiling up at him. "You're astounding." She refuted. Their lips met; hands intertwined. Marina held Hunter's arm as they piled into the limousine they'd rented for the event.

When they arrived at McKinley high, Jamie got out of the limousine first, people turning to watch as they got out of the car. Kara and Arabella followed; arms intertwined. Then Marina and Hunter came out last, the five strolling through the crowd and into the gym.

Blaine and Tina came to greet the group, a tense aura between Hunter and Blaine. Hunter's hand shot forward. "I'm Hunter Clarington. It's nice to meet you." He re-introduced himself, Blaine doing the same.

"I'm sorry about your Nationals trophy, I was just making an entrance." Hunter apologised.

Blaine made a noise of agreement, gesturing to him and Tina. "We get it. Attention and flashy entrances are cool."

"You four did an awesome job on my dress, by the way." Tina smiled, twirling. Hunter and Blaine nodded in agreement.

"What's up, McKinley?" Artie yelled loudly as the group made their way through the crowd, Sam helping Blaine onto the stage as Artie continued to speak. "We'd like to dedicate this song to all the strong, proud, and empowered ladies who stuck their necks out to make this happen. This week, you showed us what it feels like to wait anxiously by the phone that never rings. The horror when all your friends get asked to the dance, and you don't, and you have to sit there..."

Blaine stood, beginning to attach a microphone to his ear. "All right, cool. Thank you, Artie. This next one's for all the, uh, powerful women out there."

All the members of the New Directions were close to the stage, enjoying the performance. Hunter was watching the performance with narrowed eyes. "For Regionals, I hope that Ryder kid tones the dancing down. The other four are pretty good." He noted, Marina nodding along as they all danced to the music.

Jamie noticed Sugar sitting with other girls who didn't have dates, going over to the girl whilst Coach Beiste spoke to them. Jamie only heard the last of Coach Beiste's words. "Life's not about waiting to be asked, and neither is this dance. Now, get out there and get what's yours. Just remember one thing: The worst he could say is no."

Jamie stood in front of Sugar; their head tilted. "I help make your dress and you waste it by sitting alone? I didn't need no boy to be having fun here- come on!" They grabbed Sugar's hand, pulling her up to the dance floor.

Kara and Arabella danced, hands intertwined, the pair giggling. Hunter and Marina danced together, grinning, and whispering compliments with the other when Jamie pulled Sugar over to the four, instructing the pouting girl to dance with them. Sugar laughed at Jamie, agreeing. Marina quietly explained to them Sugar had came dateless as nobody was willing to go with her.

Jamie and Sugar continued to energetically dance until Hunter tapped Sugar's shoulder, Marina grinning knowingly. "Can I have a dance?" Sugar gasped, looking to Marina.

"You have a really good boyfriend." Marina thanked the girl as she took his hand, dancing with Hunter.

When the boys were all off the stage, Sugar happily thanked the group, rushing over to Artie. They smiled widely when they saw her happily dancing with Artie. They soon noticed Tina trying to kiss Blaine, Marina and Arabella hastily glaring at Sam until he noticed what was going on. "Hey, Blaine, uh.... I need you to check the sound systems."

"Hey! Blaine and I were just about to..." Tina nervously trailed off.

"To what?" Sam questioned knowingly.

"To keep dancing." Tina nodded to herself as Sam pulled Blaine away.

"You can dance with us." Sugar offered, referring to herself and Artie.

Soon after that occurrence, Brittany, Sugar, Marley, Unique, Tina, and Marina all grouped together, setting up the stage whilst Jamie, Arabella, and Kara, all picked up microphones, unknowingly placing themselves in corners of the room with their backs turned to the stage.

"Yeah, McKinley!" Everybody cheered, their attention on Brittany. "Okay, a friendly reminder: Uh, don't eat the snowflakes. They're fake. And the glitter sticks to the roof of your mouth."

Tina spoke next. "All right, ladies, grab your date and get on the dance floor!"

"Because the guys were just a warm-up for the real main attraction: us!" Sugar exclaimed as Marley began to sing.

Hunter watched the performance with interest in his eyes, standing beside Blaine, Sam, and Artie. "So, uh.... How did you guys have that flashy Sectionals performance?" Sam asked curiously.

"A diet, military workout, and gymnast workout mixed with vocal and dance training. Dalton has a training room, feel free to come and use it." Hunter smiled, telling them their trick to Sectionals.

"It was that easy?" Sam asked in surprise. Hunter nodded.

At the chorus of the song, spotlight shone on Jamie, Kara, and Arabella, the trio singing and strolling through the crowd to join the six on stage. When the song was over, the boys made movements with their hands for everyone to clap and cheer louder than they already were, the nine on stage giggling and smiling to one another.

All the members of the New Directions (and Hunter) danced together with wide smiles on their face, spinning each other around and screaming words to whichever song was playing. "You know what, I think It'll be fun having you guys work with us so that we all get to Nationals." Hunter smiled. They all agreed.

Ryder stood to sing, the couples moving to dance together as he sang into the microphone. Marina wrapped her arms around Hunter, the boy pulling the shorter girl into his chest as they danced the night away.