f i f t y - f i v e

Everyone regrouped in the auditorium, Sam introducing Mercedes even though they all knew who she was. "Alright everybody, let's give it up for Island Beetz recording artist extraordinaire, Mercedes Jones."

After everyone clapped and cheered for the girl, Mercedes spoke. "All right, all right. Now, I know that Kurt is going through a lot this week, but in spite of that, we are all very happy to be here. As you may remember, we saw you guys at sectionals, and there's a reason that you guys lost." People looked away, but Marina and the boys looked proud.

"And there's a reason that you guys won." Mercedes added, looking to the seven.

"Talent." Hunter smirked.

"Because Gangnam Style sucked?" Marina guessed, "No offence, but your theme was whack."

"Fear." Mercedes corrected. "For instance, Marley. You have got killer vocals, homegirl, so why is it that I've never heard you do a Mercedes Jones-style vocal run?" Mercedes questioned.

"I don't know. I-I guess I've just been scared to try." Marley shrugged nervously.

"Exactly. You're scared to belt it out. And you're probably afraid that when you do, I'm gonna test your breath control by hitting you in the solar plexus with this maraca. All right, give this girl a note to do a little runnin' with." Mercedes demanded, a maraca in hand as he gestured for a note to be played.

A note was played, Marley attempting a Mercedes Jones-style vocal run. She did really well, people grinning until she faltered when Mercedes hit her with the maraca. They chuckled, Marley giggling and Mercedes laughing. "See? If you had better breath control, you could probably hold that note every time. All right, floppy-headed bass player, why don't you give us a little bit of that spooky Stevie Wonder bass line to get us moving. And all of y'all need to shake out your nerves and stop being so scared, and that includes you, Kurt. I know what you're going through, and this one's for you, baby. And, Marley, I want to hear those high notes, and don't be stingy with those runs." Mercedes smiled, the bass player doing as requested as everyone began to dance.

They all backed up Mercedes, Marley, and Blaine, grinning and dancing around them. Soon after that performance, Kurt called everyone to the choir room for an unknown reason. Kurt stood nervously in front of them all as they talked between themselves. "He'll be here. Any minute, I'm sure. Yeah." He muttered to himself.

When Burt Hummel came into the room, Kurt turned in relief. "Dad! Hey."

"Hi, everybody." Burt waved to them all as they all cheered loudly, knowing him and about his recovery. "Good to see you." He said to them as he moved to sit down.

He turned to Mr. Schue. "Schue. Good to see you, buddy."

"Likewise." Mr. Schue nodded in agreement.

"What's up, Blaine?" Burt said in greetings as the pair shared a handshake.

"Marina." Burt acknowledged, the two sharing a grin. For his and Carole's one year anniversary Kurt had ordered Marina to take them out shopping, giving her advice to the pair and making them matching clothes- a jacket for Burt and cardigan for Carole.

"Well, it's probably not a surprise why I asked you to come here today." Kurt grinned to his father.

"I'm guessing it has something to do with a song?" Burt assumed, looking at all of the students in the choir room.

"Yes. But not just any song. See, the last time I dedicated a song to you in this room, you were in the hospital. But today we are celebrating life's most treasured and wonderful gift... a second chance. See, when I was little, you used to sing this song to me in the car all the time and it always put a smile on my face. So today it's my turn to sing, and your turn to smile." Kurt explained happily.

"I'm already there, kiddo." Burt grinned as the music began.

Kitty, Tina, and Marley stood, rushing to stand behind Kurt as they were his backup dancers for the song. They danced together, not a single move out of place as Kurt sang. People smiled watching the performance, Burt mouthing the words as Kurt sang. Everyone cheered and screamed when the performance was over, Kurt sharing a hug with his father.

The next day, Mike called the Glee club meeting, getting Marina to stand beside him as he spoke. "Since this week is about wonderful things, I want to celebrate a wonderful talent. He's new to Glee Club this year, but I think if we all help him with his confidence, he can lead us all the way to nationals." Sam stood, jokingly believing that Mike was talking about him. "Stop being so modest and get your butt up here, Jake!" Mike exclaimed as the trio began to dance, Jake singing the lead, everyone else singing backup.

Mercedes was back at McKinley the next day, a box in her hands as she entered the room alongside Kurt and Mike. "All right, everyone." She called.

"Ah, all right. Sit down." Mr. Schue ordered, gesturing for the students to sit in their seats.

"So, today's lesson... Well, I was gonna say 'truth,' but it's about this crazy-ass business that a lot of us want to get into." Mercedes chuckled.

"If you're gonna tell us to not even try 'cause it's too hard..." Tina began, speaking dryly.

Mercedes cut her off with a shake of the head. "No, no, I'm just saying be ready. You know, when I graduated, a producer said he wanted to do a CD of my music, which, oh, my God, that's been my dream since before I even sat in this room. Turns out, he only wanted to do that on his terms. So. I had a choice to make: I could do it his way and get there a lot faster, or I could do it my way, and maybe never, never even make it. So, I talked to my parents and my friends, and I made a decision." Mercedes grinned.

Mike and Kurt then also moved to sit down, but Marina soon realised they were in fact handing out Mercedes' album. "So, I don't have a record deal anymore, but I do have a record, which I'll be giving to all of you, and selling at a table in front of my church and out of my car, and on Amazon, so, whatever happens, at least I was true to myself."

"And you will have gotten there by taking... and you know it's coming... the higher ground. Hit it!" Mr. Schue exclaimed.

Then Mercedes sat them all down for review. Marina, however, had been called to Figgins' office. "Hello, Figgins. Am I here for you to tell me Schuester doesn't want me to step a foot in the choir room?" She sassily questioned.

Figgins shook his head. "No, Miss Fowler. I'm giving you the option to take a honeymoon with Mr. Clarington for as long as you like and if you're back by graduation I'll still give you your diploma." He said seriously.

Marina laughed, knowing her uncle would agree as well. "Thanks, Figgins."