Smelly, ugly halfwit - Part 3 - Dwalin x Reader

I know that this is a little shorter than normal. But I hope that you still enjoy.

Suddenly (Y/n) stepped out from behind Dwalin. The dwarf trying to pull her back as she moved away. His eyes growing wide as she moved closer to the great beast and its rider.

"HO. UGLY!" (Y/n) yelled at the top of her voice. Gulping as the warg snapped and snarled at the air in between itself and the little hobbit. Its rider turning all his attention to the tiny figure in front of him.

"IS IT TRUE WHAT THEY SAY? THAT ALL ORCS HAVE DUNG FOR BRAINS. OR IS IT JUST THAT'S HOW YOU SMELL? I THINK I HAVE JUST FOUND A RIVAL FOR YOUR TITLE, DWALIN. I THINK THAT I HAVE JUST FOUND AN ORC THAT IS SMELLIER, UGLIER, AND A BIGGER HALFWIT THAN YOU ARE. BUT I MUST ADMIT THAT YOU DO STILL PUT UP STIFF COMPETITION" (Y/n) continued to shout. Dwalin believing that the little hobbit had lost her mind.

"Get back ere." Dwalin growled. Wondering what was going on as (Y/n) turned and winked at him.

"WHY? IT'S NOT LIKE I'M SCARED OF THIS PILE OF PIG SLOP. I'VE SEEN SLUGS WITH MORE INTELLIGENCE THAN THIS ORC AND HIS PET PUPPY. AND I THINK THAT YOU WILL FIND THAT IT IS HE, THAT SHOULD BE SCARED OF ME!" (Y/n) called out again, even louder than before. The little hobbit crossing her arms and glaring defiantly up at the vile creature.

"First I am going to make you watch as I tear your Dwarf limb from limb. Then I am going to feed you to my warg. You snivelling little hobbit." The orc hissed, as he slowly got down from his mount. The foul being pulling his weapon from behind him, as he moved to stand before the tiny hobbit. Dwalin gripping the handle of his axe tighter as the orc sneered at (Y/n). The large dwarf noticing out of the corner of his eye that the foliage behind the hideous abomination was moving. A growl emanating from deep within him, as the faces of the rest of the company appeared from the darkness. Dwalin finally realising what the beautiful hobbit had been doing.

"You really are a halfwit." (Y/n) replied with a soft chuckle. A shout going up, as Thorin and the others rushed forward. Dwalin pushing her backwards as he joined the fray.

(Y/n) dropped to the floor. Her little heart beating faster than she ever thought possible. The horrors and evils of middle earth were nothing new to her by now. But before, she had always been with the whole company. With Thorin. With Fili, Kili and the others. With her brother and even Gandalf. Yet to come face to face with an orc and its mount, with only Dwalin by her side, was something quite new. And not an experience that she really wanted to repeat any time soon. Deep down she did trust Dwalin. She probably trusted him the most, when it came to a fight. But even to (Y/n), a warg and its rider were a lot, for even Dwalin to take on alone.

"(Y/n), are you alright?" Bilbo asked, dropping to his sister's side. Taking her face in his hands, as Dwalin dealt the final blow to the warg. Bilbo sure that he had never been as afraid as he had been moments before, when his sister had been standing, unflinching, before the hideous orc.

"I er.........yes. I'm fine, Bilbo. Looks like my big mouth came in useful for once." (Y/n) chuckled as she pulled her brother into her arms. The rest of the company joining the two little hobbits. (Y/n) smiling up at them, as they stared at her in disbelief.

"I knew that you weren't far away. I knew that if I shouted loud enough, one of you would hear me. And I knew that the orc wouldn't be smart enough to realise what I was doing." (Y/n) explained, as Bofur and Bombur helped Bilbo raise her up from the floor.

"I know I promised to get wood for the fire, Thorin. But if you don't mind, I think that I might need to sit down for a few moments." (Y/n) continued shakily. Thorin giving her a rare smile as he nodded. Watching as the rest of the company took her back to the camp.

"That was very clever of tha lass, don't ya think?" Balin said, as he came up to his brother's side. Dwalin's attention focused on the disappearing figure of (Y/n). Still unable to believe that his little hobbit's quick thinking had probably saved them both.

"She knew enough ta call out. Maybe ya should thank her when ya get back ta tha camp." Balin continued, smiling at Thorin as he came to stand by his brother's other side.

"Aye. Tha orc may have only been a lone scout. But an orc and his mount are a lot ta deal with alone. And even though I don't doubt you, Dwalin. I'm glad that our little hobbit knows how to talk." Thorin added, as he pushed his bloodied sword back into its scabbard.

"Now, as (Y/n) needs a moment, tha duty of gathering firewood falls to you. But don't be long, Bombur is hungry." Thorin continued, before he and Balin wandered off to join (Y/n) and the others back at the camp.

                                                       >>---------------------------------<<

"A bowl of Bombur's best, for the cleverest little hobbit in Middle Earth." Bofur said with a smile, as he handed (Y/n) the steaming food. (Y/n) gratefully taking it from his hands.

"I made you this, too (Y/n). I was going ta save it fa later. But I think ya deserve it now." Bofur told her. Handing her a brand new wooden spoon. (Y/n) smiling as she looked at the beautifully carved handle. An image of Bag End etched into the wood.

"Oh Bofur. It's beautiful. Thank you so much." (Y/n) replied. A soft blush coming to her cheeks as the Dwarf pulled his hat and blushed himself.

"Ya need ta tell er how ya feel." Thorin said from behind Dwalin. The big dwarf grumbling under his breath as he watched the toy maker take a seat next to (Y/n). The pair continuing to talk happily.

"Bofur isn't the only one interested in her. So, if you don't want to lose her. Then you should tell her." Thorin added, before making his way back to his bed roll. Dwalin deciding that he could wait no long, to tell his hobbit how he felt.