Only have eyes for you - Bofur x Reader

For LeTwinDragons

(Y/n) sighed as she watched Bofur smile and wink at some passing dwarrowdams. She she-dwarves chuckling as they made their way passed him. Ever since more and more dwarves had begun to arrive back at the Lonely Mountain, it had come apparent to (Y/n) that the sweet dwarf had his heart set on finding himself a bride. She supposed that she couldn't blame him; now that the quest was over, Erebor slowly being rebuilt after the damage that Smaug had cause, life had taken on a feeling of normality. And what was more normal than finding yourself the one that you could love for the rest of your life. Though why he had to look to others, when he had had her under his nose for the entire length of the journey, she didn't know.

(Y/n) had been the only dwarrowdam allowed to join with Thorin on his quest to reclaim their home. As the youngest child of Fundin, and the sister of both Balin and Dwalin, there was no way that she would have allowed herself to be left out. That, and she and Thorin had grown up together, the now King well aware of her abilities. Of how skilled she was with a bow, of how lethal she was with a sword. Even Oakenshield not having the nerve to tell her no, when he had received word that she would be joining them. So, perhaps that was what it was............Bofur saw her only as a warrior. Perhaps she was too rough and tough for him to ever see her as a dwarrowdam. Or at least the kind of dwarrowdam that he seemed to be looking at. Well..........it could be that, or Dwalin had noticed that she had feelings for the toymaker, and he had been and done what he did best, and threatened Bofur.

She had arrived at Bilbo's home with Kili and Fili, happy to see her brothers again after so long. And she had first meet Bofur, when had had fallen through the door, in a pile with the others. (Y/n) finding herself smiling, as he had looked up at her and given her that goofy grin of his. From then, and much to Dwalin's utter irritation, she and Bofur had never been far from one another's side. Not when they had fought countless orc and wargs. Not when they had journeyed to Rivendell; nor when they had escaped trolls and flown on eagles. Not when the lightening had flashed and the rain had hit so hard she could swear that her head would bleed, and stone giants had fought. Not when they had battled spiders and been captured, then escaped in barrels down the rapids, from the Mirkwood elves. And not when they had got to Laketown, then had to fight the war. But all that seemed to mean nothing now. Bofur seeming to have forgotten all about her. A heavy sight leaving her lips, as she wondered if she were to change from the shirt and breeches that she would normally wear, to a dress that hugged her figure, would Bofur once again smile that goofy smile at her.

"(Y/n).............?" A slightly concerned voice came. The dwarrowdam looking up from her slightly dirty breeches to see that Bilbo had taken a seat next to her.

"Is everything alright?" The hobbit continued, as he looked at his friend. (Y/n) just nodding in reply. Bilbo had to say that he had noticed a change in her since the battle, since more of the Durin folk had begun to return to the Mountain. She had become quiet, a little reserved, and that was not like her. He had always found her to be more like Fili and Kili, than Dwalin. So, he had decided that he would talk to her. To see if he could help.

"(Y/n) please. I know that there is something wrong................"

"Do you think that I'm pretty, Bilbo? I mean, I know I'm not a hobbit. But for a dwarrowdam, would you say that I am pretty?" (Y/n) asked. Bilbo having to admit that he was a little taken aback by the question.

He had to say that until she had shown up at the door of Bag End with Fili and Kili, he had never seen a female dwarf. Or really a dwarf for that matter. But he also had to say that despite his lack of knowledge, (Y/n) was not only the most beautiful dwarrowdam that he had seen, but probably the strongest and scariest.

"Well............." Bilbo began, as he took her hand.

"I would say that without a doubt in my mind, you are the most beautiful dwarrowdam that I have ever met................"

"Then why doesn't Bofur notice me anymore? Why does he seem to only have eyes for every other dwarrowdam that returns to the Mountain. It is like I never met him." (Y/n) interrupted. Her eyes appearing to be filling with tears.

"I am sure that he hasn't. I know that he has been busy making toys for all the little ones that have been returning. I think he even said that he was making something special. Why don't you go and have a word with him? It might allay your fears." Bilbo replied with a big smile. (Y/n) mussing for a moment before getting to her feet.

"Thank you, Bilbo, you are the wisest of hobbits." The dwarrowdam said, before kissing him on the cheek and making her way to find Bofur. Bilbo shaking his head as he watched her disappear. Knowing that he should have known that it was something to do with the hat wearing dwarf.

                                                            >>--------------------------------<<

Bofur looked up as he heard the door to his little workshop open. The toymaker carefully covering his special project, before turning to see his visitor. A large smile spreading across his face, as he saw (Y/n).

From the first moment that he had fallen through the door at Bag End, and seen her smiling down at him, Bofur was sure that if they were successful and they lived to tell the tale, he, despite how much Dwalin would not like it, would ask the only daughter of Fundin, if she would be his. And since life had begun to resemble some sort of normality, he had been coming up with something to make sure that when he asked her if he could court her, she would not forget it.

"Lass. To what do I......................?"

"I am going to get straight to the point, Bofur...............Do you like me?" (Y/n) interrupted. Standing up as straight as she could and preparing herself for the worst.

"W-w-what................?"

"It is a simple question...........Do you like me? I thought that I meant something to you. That given all the time that we have spent together on that damn journey, you might have come to feel for me, as I feel for you. But given that I have seen you do nothing but wink and flirt with every other dwarrowdam that has returned to the Mountain. I am beginning to think that I have completely misunderstood your feelings." (Y/n) explained, as she looked at the shocked dwarf. Her arms now crossed over her chest.

Misunderstood his feelings? How could she possibly believe that he did anything but think the world of her? That he did anything but care, Bofur thought, as he slowly got to his feet. And then it hit him...........she had just said that she cared about him. That she hoped that he felt the same for her, as she did for him. The toymaker deciding that this was as good a time as any, to show her the special project that he had been working on.

"Do...........do ya mean that ya mean that ya luv me, lass...........?"

"Didn't............didn't I just say that........................?"

"Not really." Bofur replied, as he walked towards her and took her hand.

"Well, I should have done. Bofur..............I love you!" (Y/n) announced. Her heart beating a little quicker, as the sweet dwarf gave her one of his goofy smiles, before leading her over to the table he had been working at. The toymaker pulling the cloth from his surprise.

"This is for you.............." Bofur told her. (Y/n) staring wide eyed at the wooden masterpiece. It was a scene, and in the middle were two little figures. One that looked just like her, and the other like Bofur.

"Turn tha handle............." The dwarf prompted. (Y/n) furrowing her brow for a moment, before taking the little wooden crank and turning it. The dwarrowdam gasping as the figures walked towards one another, only stopping as they got close, and then they leaned in and kissed. A small chest to the side, that resembled something that they had seen in the troll cave, opening to reveal two beautifully carved wooden beads. Bofur carefully reaching over and taking them into his hand.

"B-b-bofour..........what...................?"

"Of all the dwarrowdams in Middle Earth, I only have eyes for you, lass. I love you. So, (Y/n), will you be mine............?" Bofur asked, as he gingerly reached up and took some of her hair into his hand.

"Oh, Bofur.........yes..............." (Y/n) said, tears coming to her eyes, as her beloved toymaker quickly braided her hair and added his bead, before pulling her into his arms. (Y/n) now sure that Bofur would always be hers. And that he truly only had eyes for her.