Old friend - Part 5 - Legolas x Thranduil x Reader

Legolas was sure that he couldn't breathe. The last time that he had seen (Y/n), they were still little more than elflings. To the prince, she had been quite the prettiest elleth in the whole of his father's kingdom; her bright eyes and warm smile both able to light up even the darkest parts of Mirkwood. For so long they had been friends, the best of friends, they had done everything together. (Y/n) the only one that the son of Thranduil felt that he could truly be himself with; the only one that saw him as Legolas, and not a prince, the heir to the elvish kingdom. And for that alone, he had loved her.

Once more, he could recall all the fun that they had had so many years before. How, as they had run through the trees, pretending to fight off all those that might wish to harm the kingdom, their laughter would fill the air. Legolas sure that he had not laughed at all, since she had been sent away by her parents.

In truth, he knew that there was only one that could be blamed for all that had happened, and that was him. As much as he had wanted to put it down to (Y/n)'s older brother, Legolas knew that it was he that had gone from defending the elleth, from protecting her, to treating her as poorly as Cothorn had always done. The pale haired prince never sure why he had taken the friendship that meant so much to him, and destroyed it. Not sure why he had listened to her brother when he had dared him to pick up the stone and throw it at (Y/n). The prince still able to remember, with sickening clarity, the sound that the elleth had made, when the rock had hit her. When he closed his eyes, he could see the blood that had instantly come from the wound; how the crimson liquid had covered her hair and made its way down onto the dress that she wore. The red staining the pure white of the gown. Legolas hating the notion that that image, would be the last that he would have of his dear friend. That instead of the sight of her smiling at him, it would forever be the look of betrayal as her eyes filled with tears. But perhaps the Valar had given him a second chance; perhaps they had sent her back to his father's kingdom so that he could apologise for what he had done; so that he could have a chance to rekindle the friendship that had really meant so much to him. So that he could tell her that not a single day had passed that he had not thought of her and what could have been between them, if she had stayed.

Slowly, Legolas made his way through the crowd to where the king appeared to be keeping a tight hold on the arm of the exquisite elleth. His father even seeming to be smiling slightly, as he introduced (Y/n) to his other guests. Not for one minute would the prince have thought that his old friend would be the envoy sent by Lord Celeborn and Lady Galadriel; but given what he had been told of her arrival, he should have perhaps guessed. Legolas not surprised that she would dare traverse the woods in the dark hours, all alone; the prince recalling how she hadn't seemed to be scared of anything. How she would want to climb the tallest trees, and wish that she go out and actually fight off the spiders that plagued the woods, all on her own.

"(Y/n).............?" The prince said, his voice barely above a whisper, as he finally came up behind his father and the elleth. The breath once more leaving his lungs, as she turned to look at him. The prince sure that she was even more beautiful, now that they were face to face. His heart beating at a pace, as she stared into his eyes; her hand reaching up to the side of her head for a moment, causing Legolas to feel that he had just thrown the stone only moments before.

"You remember my guest, the envoy from Lothlórien............?" Thranduil asked his son, as he pulled (Y/n) a little closer.

"How could I forget her, father? It is so nice to see my old friend again." Legolas replied, as he bowed and gingerly took her hand; the prince gently kissing her knuckles.

"Prince Legolas. And, old friend..........? Friend is perhaps not the word that I would use. I believe that in the end, you and my brother saw more eye to eye. If there was ever a friendship between the two of us, it obviously was not one that meant anything. Not that I would have expected it to, you are after all the prince; heir to Mirkwood." (Y/n) replied; it obvious from the heated and angered look in those once soft and gentle eyes, that she had not forgotten anything that had happened that day, so many years before; and that she had most certainly not forgiven him.

"(Y/n), I................"

"I have had a chair for you placed next to mine........." Thranduil interrupted, catching the elleth's attention once more. Her gaze instantly softening, as she looked at her king.

"Perhaps we should take our seat............?" The king continued, gently pulling the elleth away from his son, and up to the chairs at the main table. Legolas only able to watch, as his father took the beautiful elleth away from him.