The apprentice - Part 6 - Thorin x Fili x Kili x Reader

"Why?! Why would you do that to me?" (Y/n) groaned, as she dropped herself onto the dusty wooden bench behind her. Her head planted firmly in the palms of her hands.

"Why would we do what, (Y/n)?" Kili enquired, as he took a seat next to her. The young prince slightly bemused about her comment.

"You told your uncle. The king, that I would have dinner with him! Me! How can I sit down to eat with him? Its impossible. And probably unheard of. I am sure that he should only eat with lords and ladies. Dwarves like Master Balin and your mother." (Y/n) explained. Her face never leaving her hands. The young mortal hoping that if she didn't move it, then maybe, somehow, when she eventually did, she would find that the last few moments had never happened.

"What are you talkin about? Why can't ya have dinner with uncle Thorin?"

"Yes. What's so wrong with it?" Kili agreed with his brother, as Fili took a seat on (Y/n)'s other side. The older blonde taking one of (Y/n)'s hand from her face, forcing the apprentice to look up at him.

"Well, master smarty dwarves. Firstly, I have only just arrived after a very long journey and was supposed to be sorting out this forge. I have to light the furnace, then make sure that everything if clean and tidy before I can even think about starting work. Secondly, I only really have the clothes I have been travelling in. And none of those are suitable to wear when having dinner with a king. That, and the last time I had a bath, it was in a freezing river some days ago. And finally, and most importantly, I am a no one. I am an abandoned mortal that somehow found her way to the Blue Mountains, where I was lucky enough to have Master Gunri take pity on me. Which he only did because he thought I was an undernourished male dwarf. So, excuse me for thinking that I am not worthy to even serve at your uncle's table. Never mind eat at it." (Y/n) replied with a huff. Her annoyance mounting, as Kili, and Fili looked at one another and began to laugh.

She knew that she shouldn't be angry at the dwarf princes. She had been looking forward to seeing them, as much as she had her father. But dinner with the King! With Thorin. How could she? It wasn't that she didn't want to. How could any woman in their right mind say no to an invitation from a king? And more, a king that looked like Thorin. But, as she had said, she was dirty and bereft of any clothes that would be suitable to meet the king in.

"And what is so funny?" (Y/n) demanded to know, as she got to her feet and placed her hands firmly on her hips. Waiting for a suitable response from the still chuckling duo.

"You.........you are." Fili managed to say through his laughter. (Y/n) growling under her breath at the princes' seemingly rude remark. The mortal apprentice really not in the mood to be teased.

"He........he's right (Y/n). You......you are funny." Kili agreed happily, as he brushed an amused tear from his eye.

"Why do ya protest so much, (Y/n)? Ya know that ya want to have dinner with our uncle. We aren't stupid. All those questioned that ya asked about him while we were growing up. The way ya would hum and look all dreamy, every time someone mentioned his name. We know ya like him, and we want to help ya tell him." Kili explained. (Y/n) slightly shocked that the dark haired dwarf had realised how she felt for the king.

"Kili is right, (Y/n). Uncle Thorin deserves someone that loves him. And after everything we have been through to get our home back, he needs that more than ever. And who better to make him happy, than you?" Fili agreed. (Y/n) returning to her seat between the two princes, with a bump.

"But why would you..........? He can't be interested in me..............I'm just a lowly smith. A mortal............."

"So? What is wrong about being a blacksmith. Uncle Thorin was one himself. And who cares if you are a mortal. You are the most beautiful mortal that I have ever seen. And any dwarf would be happy to call ya his wife. And we want to do this, cos we love ya. Ya already part of the family, always have been. So why not try and make ya real family." Fili explained, as he placed his arm around (Y/n)'s shoulder. Kili doing the same from the other side.

"But.......but my clothes. My hair. I couldn't............."

"Let us take care of that." Kili interrupted, as the brothers got to their feet and held out their hands for (Y/n) to take. The mortal apprentice allowing the princes to escort her from the forge. Not quite sure what Fili and Kili could possibly have in mind.

                                                     >>-------------------------------<<

"(Y/n)? Is that really our dear (Y/n)?" Dis asked cheerfully, as Fili and Kili made their way into the room. Their mother looking up from her book to see the smiling face of the mortal.

"Mistress Dis. It is so nice to see you again." (Y/n) replied with a small bow. Dis chuckling softly, as she looked (Y/n) up and down.

"Mistress is it now? I seem to remember that before I left the Blue Mountains, you would call me mother, more often than not. Nothing has changed little one. We are still the same. Though I swear that you are even thinner than you were before." Dis told her, as she pulled (Y/n) into a tight embrace.

"Well, perhaps she won't be after tonight." Kili interjected. Smiling as his mother turned to look at him.

"Uncle Thorin has invited (Y/n) to have dinner with him tonight. And well........Kili and I said we would help. (Y/n) is worried that she has nothing to wear. That she won't look presentable. So..........so we hoped that you........."

"Dinner with Thorin? Our Thorin? Oh, my, isn't that wonderful. Oh, that couldn't be better. Of course, we must help. I am sure that I can find something suitable for you to wear. We can braid your hair. By the time I have finished, you will look like a queen, (Y/n)." Dis interrupted excitedly, as she pulled (Y/n) further into the room. The king's younger sister knowing full well how Thorin already felt for the mortal. Knowing full well that if anyone could make her brother happy, it would be (Y/n).

"But first, a bath." Dis added, her gaze turning to her sons. Neither dwarf needing to be told that that was their cue to leave their mother to work her magic on the young apprentice.

                                                   >>---------------------------------<<

"Everything must be perfect. Is everything perfect? Perhaps I should wear something different. Perhaps I should wear my crown? No.......I want her to feel comfortable. I want her to get to know me, not a king." Thorin rambled, as he looked around the room, making sure that everything was in place for the evening. Balin chuckling under his breath, as he listened to his old friend talk like a nervous young dwarf that wished to ask the prettiest girl if he could court her.

Balin had to admit that it was unusual to see Thorin like this. He was normally so level-headed. So, in control. A dwarf that had been a hero in the Battle of Moria. A dwarf that had led his people first to Dunland, and then the Blue Mountains. Caring for his kin while they were in exile. Yet here, he appeared so unsure. Hesitant. Though Balin couldn't blame the younger dwarf. Love was a new frontier for the king. Something that he hadn't had time to think about before. And given how beautiful the daughter of Master Gunri had proved to be, the old dwarf was sure that he would feel the same if he had asked (Y/n) to have dinner with him.

"Everything is fine, Thorin. I am sure that mistress (Y/n) will love it." Balin tried to reassure. Thorin taking a deep breath and nodding in agreement. His heart jumping into his throat, as a gentle knock came to the door.

"I shall show the lady in, as I leave." Balin chuckled, placing his hand on Thorin's arm, before he made his way to the door and opened it. The sight that greeted the king, taking his breath away.