Healer - Part 1 - Bard x Reader

This is my first imagine for Bard. I know I shouldn't have left it this long, because between him, Thranduil, Elrond and Thorin, I lost my heart to the movies, and Bard will forever be one of my favourite characters. So, I hope you will forgive me, and enjoy this first part. 🏹

(Y/n) looked at the ruined city of Dale, as it and the entrance to the great mountain of the dwarves, loomed into view. She knew of the war. Of the battle of the five armies. Of the death of the line of Durin at the hands of Azog and the orcs. And how Lake Town had been destroyed by the fire of the great dragon that had slumbered under the mountain for so many years. But it was the thought of what had happened to the mortal men, of what they had all lost, that had been one of the reasons that she had made her way from her home. Her notion to help all those that she could, with her gift.

It was strange how she had felt it her duty to help. She had no real connection to the people of Lake Town. But given what she was, she deemed that it was only right. Her mother was a high born Sindar elleth. Her father, a once great and mighty Rider of Rohan. There union producing a half-elven daughter of such beauty and gifts, that even King Thranduil's eye had fallen on her. Yet when she had heard that her King had abandoned the men and dwarves, when her kin were needed the most, (Y/n) had decided to turn her back on Mirkwood and make her way to the world of men. The elleth unable to stop thinking about the one thing that she held dear. And that was Bard.

She had first met the bowman on one his many journeys up the river. The half-elven finding herself unable to stop herself from watching, as the simple man toiled away. The dark haired mortal unlike anything she had come accustomed to in Mirkwood. (Y/n) making her way over to where he worked. Her heart soaring as he smiled softly at her. The touch of his rough skin against hers, making her want to learn more about him. About his life. A life that was so different from hers.

(Y/n) had sensed that the quiet man was not really keen on talking to others, especially about his own life. But with a little persistence. Bard growing more and more used to her presence when he arrived. The simple man had eventually spoken, telling her about Girion. The great dragon, Smaug. And the black arrow. About the death of his wife. Of his children, and the life that they lived. (Y/n) in turn telling him of the death of her father, and how her mother, at his passing, had chosen to sail to the Undying Lands. Leaving (Y/n) alone in the world. A strange sort of bond growing between the pair, as they spent more and more time together. And that was why she was in Dale now. To make up for what her king had done. To help heal all those that had been hurt. And to see Bard.

Slowly she made her way up into the city. The people watching as the beauty and her snow white horse made their way through the dirty and rubble strewn streets. A small smile pulling at (Y/n)'s lips as she looked down at the smudged covered faces of the children. The half-elven waving cautiously as she passed.

"What do you want?" A gruff voice came. (Y/n) pulling her mount to a stop as a number of men stood in her way.

"I.......I have come to offer my assistance. I am a healer and thought that you may have need of my skills. And I was hoping to see Bard. We are old friends." (Y/n) replied. Not failing to hear one or two of the men grumble about her being an elf.

"I am half-elven. My father was as mortal a man as any of you. A Rider of Rohan. My mother was a Sindar elf, and as such, I felt that it was only right to come and help after my king.......... Please. I am not here to cause any harm or trouble. If I could just speak with Bard..........."

"(Y/n)? Is that you?" A familiar voice interrupted. (Y/n) hurriedly dismounting her horse as she saw the handsome face of the man that she had come to find.

"What are you doing here?" Bard asked, as he pushed his way through the other men. Stopping before her and taking her hands in his. The bowman having feared that he would never see his lady again.

"I am here to help you and your people, Bard. I know that many are still injured from the battle and I had hoped that I could use my gift for healing, to help. And maybe even assist with the rebuilding of Dale." (Y/n) replied. Bard sure that he had never been happier to see anyone in his life. The new Master of Dale knowing, but not daring to admit, that he had lost his heart to the exquisite half-elven.

"And I had also hoped that I would finally be able to meet the brave Bain, Sigrid and little Tilda. You have told me so much about them, that I feel I already know them." (Y/n) continued. Bard losing himself momentarily as he looked into her eyes. His heart beating faster, as he felt (Y/n) grip his hands tighter.

He never thought that this would happen. That he could ever love again. Yet (Y/n) had managed to heal his heart without him realising. With every trip, he would increasingly look forward to his next, knowing that (Y/n) would be there waiting for him. He had thought about telling her a hundred times. Contemplated confessing all his feelings for her. Yet how could he take her away from Mirkwood when he had nothing to offer her? Ask her to leave her only kin. How could he bring the breathtaking beauty to Lake Town? To expect her to sacrifice the great wood for his humble little home. To surrender her immortality, and live and love as a mortal. A wife of a simple bowman and mother to his children.

Yet here she was. She had left her home. Made the journey to Dale to be with him, when he believed that he may never again be lucky enough to lay eyes on her. So maybe, just maybe, there was a chance that she felt for him, as he felt for her. That he wouldn't have to be alone any longer. That the horrors and destruction that he had faced, might just have been worth it, if it meant that (Y/n) would always be with him.

"Of course, (Y/n). And we would be happy for your help. We have many sick and injured people that could use your assistance. And your right, I think that you should meet my children." Bard replied. The other men parting as the Master escorted the beautiful half-elven to where he and his children had settled in a small house. Sure, that the young trio would quickly grow to love (Y/n) as much as he did. And hoping that (Y/n) would learn to love them in return.