Smelly, ugly, half-wit - Part 4 - Dwalin x Reader

Bofur turned around as he heard a huff from behind him. The toy maker scurrying away as his eyes fell on an angry looking Dwalin.

"What did you do that for? Bofur and I were having such a lovely conversation." (Y/n) groaned, as she watched Bofur take a seat next to his brother on the other side of the camp.

"If you have come to complain at me, Dwalin. I am not interested. I have just about had my fill of smelly, ugly half-wits for one day. And, if you have come to whine about the fact that you had to get the wood by yourself, because I am nothing but a weak little creature that should never have been allowed to join you on this quest, well, again, I am not interested. You brought the wood thing on yourself. Also, if you have come to grumble and growl and tell me that I was foolish and shouldn't have done what I did. That I should have kept my big mouth shut. Then, as with my last comments. I am not interested. Now, if you will excuse me, I am going to try and sleep." (Y/n) announced, as she lay down on her bedroll and turned over. The little hobbit having no intention of listening to the dwarf chastise her for anything that had happened.

"It was very brave of ya." Dwalin said quietly. (Y/n) sitting bolt upright and turning to stare at the large dwarf.

"I........I beg your pardon?" (Y/n) enquired. Not quite sure that she had heard what Dwalin had just said.

"I said, that it was very brave of ya. Clever. Ya did a good job." Dwalin explained. Mumbling slightly as he looked at the ground and kicked away a few stones.

"Was that you being nice to me? Was that a compliment? An actual, real compliment? I didn't know that you could do anything other than complain at me. Wait a moment........I left you with Thorin and Balin.........now I know why you are being nice to me! Leave me alone, Dwalin. Just leave me alone!" (Y/n) exclaimed. The little hobbit turning away from the big dwarf and pulling her blanket over her head. Doing her best to muffle the sobs that she couldn't help but let go. Her body shaking with pure emotion, as she heard Dwalin huff, and storm off. Her tears dampening her thin pillow, as she realised that she would give anything to have her big, smelly, ugly half-wit, take her into his arms and hold her close. For him to tell her that everything was going to be alright, as he combed his fingers through her hear.

Despite how much she had tried to hide it, as she had stood in front of the warg and its master, she had never been more scared in her life. But she hadn't been scared for herself. In truth, she had been scared at the idea of losing Dwalin. At the notion that her lovely smelly, ugly half-wit could be the wargs next meal. So, that was why she had done what she had done. That was why she had taken her life into her own hands and stood there. Yet even though she had done what she had done. Even though she saved them both. It seemed that Dwalin had only come to speak to her, because his brother and Thorin had made him. Only been nice to her, because he had been told to be.

"(Y/n)?" A voice said softly. (Y/n) feeling a small hand pull the blanket away from her tear soaked face. The little hobbit looking up to see her brother's sympathetic visage.

"Are you alright?" Bilbo enquired. Despite knowing that his sister was the furthest thing from alright.

"No, Bilbo. I'm not. I don't want to be here anymore. I miss the Shire. I miss Bag End. I miss our garden. I miss the quiet nights around the fire and my books. I miss the days of not having to worry about being nearly being killed by disgusting orcs and ravenous wargs. But most of all, the thing I miss the most, are the days that I didn't know an ungrateful, grumpy, grumbling, smell, ugly half-wit called Dwalin!" (Y/n) exclaimed, as she fully threw of her blanket and jumped to her feet. The little female hobbit racing away from the camp, and back into the dark woods.

                                                     >>-------------------------------------<<

Balin and Thorin watched as Dwalin tried to speak to (Y/n). The two sitting up a little straighter, as they heard the hobbit exclaim that the only reason that the warrior had made his way over to talk to her, was because they had sent him. Both of them knowing that things had not gone well, as (Y/n) had shouted that Dwalin was to leave her alone, before she pulled her blanket over her head. Dwalin seeming a little shocked for a moment, before huffing and storming back to where they sat. The pair looking at one another, as Dwalin dropped himself to the floor, and began to grumble under his breath.

"Hobbit........should never have come.........too dangerous..........don't think I care...........thinks I don't love her.............you sent me over there........" Dwalin muttered, as he picked up large stones, and threw them into the fire. The disturbed embers, flying up into the dark night sky. Appearing like red and orange fireflies, flitting and floating until they died away.

"I take it that speaking to our dear mistress (Y/n), didn't go well?" Balin finally asked. Despite the fact that it was obvious to everyone present, that it most certainly hadn't gone well.

"She said that ya had made me go over there. That ya had made me speak ta her. That I wouldn't be able ta be nice ta her of me own accord. That she saved us from getting chomped on by a warg, and cut ta pieces by an orc, yet it was you two that made me say thank you!" Dwalin growled in reply. The big dwarf not sure how to feel at her words.

He had gone over to see (Y/n), with the intention of telling her how he felt. How he had felt for her since he had first seen her in her little home back in the Shire. Yet as always seemed to happen when he had ever tried to talk to a female, it had all gone wrong. He supposed that he couldn't blame her for thinking all those things of him. He had been gruff. He had complained and gone on about how Thorin should never have allowed her to accompany them. How she was too little and delicate. Not made for the road, or for a fight. And no matter how many times that she had proved him wrong, he had still continued to grumble. But he had only done it, in his mind at least, because he didn't want her to be safe. Because he didn't want any harm to come to her. Yet at this present moment, it all seemed to have exploded in his face, and he had no idea what to do to change it.

"No, Bilbo. I'm not. I don't want to be here anymore. I miss the Shire. I miss Bag End. I miss our garden. I miss the quiet nights around the fire and my books. I miss the days of not having to worry about being nearly being killed by disgusting orcs and ravenous wargs. But most of all, the thing I miss the most, are the days that I didn't know an ungrateful, grumpy, grumbling, smell, ugly half-wit called Dwalin!" (Y/n) suddenly exclaimed. Dwalin and all the other dwarves looking up, as the little hobbit jumped to her feet and headed back to the dark woods. Dwalin making to get to his own feet, only to find himself stopped by Thorin.

"Not this time, Dwalin. I think that discretion may be the better part of valour in this case. I would suggest that you let either Bilbo or one of the others, that are slightly better equipped for this thing, deal with (Y/n). Now, try and get some rest. We have a long day's journey ahead of us tomorrow." Thorin said. Watching as Bilbo, Bofur, Fili and Kili made their way into the woods to find (Y/n). Thorin hoping that the company wasn't going to lose its littlest member.