The apprentice - Part 7 - Fili x Kili x Reader

"OW!" (Y/n) exclaimed, as Dis tried to pull the brush through her knotted locks.

It had been so good to lower herself into the hot water. (Y/n) sure that the last time that she had had a hot bath, must have been before she left the Blue Mountains. That that was actually the last time that she had had any kind of comfort at all. She had never trusted the villages that she had passed on her travels. Never trusted those that she had seen on her way to the Lonely Mountain, unless they had been dwarves, so had kept herself pretty much to herself. And had chosen to camp far away from where others may be, to try and ensure her safety. She had been told that the journey would be difficult and long. That if she did wish to follow her master to the Lonely Mountain, then perhaps she should go with others when the next group left. Yet she had known that it would be some time before they were to leave, and she had already waited long enough as it was. The road, the Lonely Mountain, and her father calling to her. (Y/n) finally realising how small and insignificant a mortal woman was in the world, when she had spent her first lonely night away from Gunri's nice warm forge.

Yet despite the dangers of the road, she knew that she could not turn back. That despite the hardships, nothing would deter her from seeing her father again. That, and with Gunri's trusty sword by her side, she knew that nothing would harm her. So, given all that, this was the first time that she had had to worry about how she looked. About how she appeared to those around her. And it was certainly the first time that she had been primped and preened in such a way, for a long time. There being no real need for her to think about feminine things like how her hair looked or wearing a dress when her job was to turn lumps of metal into blades. (Y/n) usually more concerned with making sure that her long hair didn't get caught in the fire of the forge, and that she was wearing her thick leather apron so that the few clothes she did have, didn't get burnt by the superheated sparks as her hammer hit metal. Yet here, (Y/n) knew that she had to let Dis do what she needed to do. That that would be the only way that she would be suitable to have dinner with the king.

"Will you keep still child. I swear that you wriggle more than a worm on a hook." Dis chastised, as she tried to pull apart the latest clump of knotted hair that she had just encountered.

"I'm sorry.......OW! But I'm not .........OW! Used to this..........OW!" (Y/n) replied. Wincing with every word. Sure, that at any moment she was going to find that Dis had pulled all the hair from her head.

"This is why I told Master Gunri that he should allow you to spend more time with me. That it was important that you also learned to be a lady. But would that stubborn old dwarf listen? No! Now look at you. A bag of bones, with hair that looks like you have been dragged through every bramble bush between the Blue Mountains and here." Dis sighed, wishing that she had a little more time to prepare (Y/n) for the evening.

In truth, Dis was sure that (Y/n) could turn up to dinner in a sack cloth, looking like she had single handily fought off a pack of rampaging wargs and their riders, and Thorin would still think that she was beautiful. The lady quite aware that her brother was already besotted by the apprentice. Dis unable to stop herself from chuckling softly as she remembered all the times that Fili and Kili had brough (Y/n) back to their home so that she could clean up, after one of their many adventures. The young mortal usually covered from head to toe in mud and mess, with her hair full of leaves. The only clean thing visible, being her teeth, as she smiled and apologised for once again causing Dis any trouble. The lady growing to love the young mortal more and more with her every visit, until Dis saw (Y/n) as being as much her child, as Fili and Kili were. And anyone that could be as rambunctious as her two boys, deserved to be considered part of the family. So, when her brother had finally told her about his feelings for (Y/n), Dis had been delighted. But before Thorin could say anything, everything had changed. The prince had heard that their father had been seen near Dunland and gone looking. Yet after his failed attempt to find Thráin, he had been intercepted in Bree before he could return to the Blue Mountains by Gandalf, and then the quest to reclaim their home had begun. But now, now that the Lonely Mountain had its rightful King sat on the throne, Dis knew that she was going to do everything she could to ensure that not only would her brother be happy, but also (Y/n).

"Once we have finished your hair, I have found the perfect dress for you, (Y/n). It is Thorin's favourite colour. And with just a few minor adjustments, I am sure I can make it fit." Dis smiled, as she continued to brush (Y/n)'s hair. The dwarf relieved that for a mortal, (Y/n) was surprisingly small. Only standing a head taller than the tallest dwarf.

"But Mother Dis, I'm not good with dresses. Can't I just borrow some of Fili or Kili's good clothes?" (Y/n) questioned. Remembering that the last time that Dis had talked her into wearing a dress, Fili and Kili had fallen over laughing. And Master Gunri had told her to change as soon as she had got back to the forge. And had used the gown for rags.

"Out of the question." Dis replied. (Y/n) rolling her eyes. The mortal knowing that even though she had know what the dwarf was going to say. It was still worth a try.

"Now, come. Let's get you finished." Dis added. Her fingers nimbly braiding (Y/n) now knot free hair.

                                                           >>--------------------------------<<

"Well?" (Y/n) asked the two princes that had returned to their mother's rooms, as she suddenly appeared from the bedroom. The mortal pulling at the restrictive gown, that Dis had just forced her into.

"I knew it! I look ridiculous. I knew that this was a bad idea!" (Y/n) exclaimed, as she turned to go back into the bedroom. Neither prince giving her an answer. (Y/n) just presuming that she looked as silly as the last time that she had worn a dress.

"You look beautiful, (Y/n)!" Kili hurriedly called out. (Y/n) turning to look at the brunette dwarf.

"I don't think that I have ever seen anything more beautiful." Fili agreed, as he and Kili got to their feet and made their way over to (Y/n). A pink hue kissing her cheeks, as the pair looked her up and down.

"If only she could grow whiskers on her face, then she would be perfect." Dis agreed, as she joined the trio. (Y/n) unable to stop herself from laughing at the idea of her being as hairy as female dwarves.

"Now. I want you two to take (Y/n) to your uncle's rooms. But make sure that you don't dawdle or have any adventures along the way. I want (Y/n) to look as beautiful when Thorin sees her, as she does now." Dis ordered. Smiling as Fili and Kili took one of (Y/n)'s arms each.

"Have fun, my sweet one. And remember, Thorin may be king, but under that crown he is just a simple dwarf like any other. So, be good to him." The lady added, before kissing (Y/n) on the cheek and ushering the trio on their way.

                                                     >>-------------------------------<<

"Well, knock then." Fili said, as he and Kili finally got (Y/n) to the door of their uncle's apartments. (Y/n) nervously raising her hand and gently placed it against the wood.

"Here, I'll do it for you........................" Kili blurted out, as he came forward and raised his hand.

"Oh no you don't, Kili Durin! You'll hammer on the door, and then run. Leaving me to face your uncle. Now, let me do this. Go on, scoot. Before I change my mind." (Y/n) retorted. Quickly catching Kili's wrist before he had chance to knock. (Y/n) giving the pair a peck on the cheek before watching them disappear into the vast expanses of corridors.

"Well, (Y/n). Dinner with the king. Dinner with Thorin. Just promise me that you won't do anything foolish." (Y/n) told herself, before she knocked lightly on the door. The ingress being opened by Master Balin to reveal a sight that took her breath away.