Chapter Fifty Three

It had been a few days since Hama's attack, the Southerners were paranoid about a possible second attack. The Gaang took turns to patrol the area to appease the people, when they realised that no one was going to attack they decided to drop the whole incident and get back to their normal lives.

That morning, Sen was busy treating Katara and putting on new bandages in her cuts but she was being difficult.

"Ow! You're hurting me!". She exclaimed.

"Hold still! Hold still!". Sen said in an annoyed voice,"It won't hurt if you don't move around like that".

"It hurts either way!". She shrieked.

She was struggling against him and Sen was doing his best to restrain her, unfortunately Katara was a lot stronger than she looked.

"Ironic, isn't it?". Mai said as she watched the two struggle.

"What?". Zuko asked after taking a sip from his tea.

"Katara is usually the one telling everyone to hold still when she treats them but look at her, she can barely even hold still for a second". Mai said with a smile.

"Right". Sokka chimed in with a small laugh.

"That's it! I'm done. Aang, you take care of your girlfriend". Sen said after he was done with Katara's resistant behavior.

Aang enthusiastically jumped up and headed for his girlfriend, seeing Katara having cuts on her face, arms, thighs and her sides made Aang's heart ache because he blamed himself for what happened to her.

"I know that look". Katara said with a pointed look,"It's not your fault, Aang. This is all part of the fighting process, it's normal getting hurt".

"You know me so well, sweetie". Aang smiled before he used ointment to apply on her cuts.

Sen was busy washing his hands when he felt someone tap his shoulder, he turned and saw Kanna standing behind him with a calculating look in her face. Sen knew what she was going to ask him was not going to sit right with him, he also had a feeling what the question was about.

"Why did you let Hama escape?". Kanna asked before putting the dishes that she was holding down.

And there it was. A topic he didn't want to talk about. The rest of the Gaang snapped their attention to the two when they heard Hama's name.

"During that time, I couldn't bring myself to detain her". Sen said after a long sigh,"The look she gave me was enough for me to just let her get away, it was the look of desperation and fear. She knew she couldn't outrun me that's why she gave me that look and that's when I changed my mind and let her get away".

"I see". Kanna said with a sigh,"I can't believe she was still alive".

"She was your friend, right?". Sen asked cautiously.

"Yes, she was my old best friend". Kanna said with a reminiscent smile but it quickly faded,"My heart shattered when the Fire Nation took her away, my only and close friend".

Zuko and Mai looked at each other before sagging at this. Kanna noticed them before approaching them and placing her hands on their shoulders.

"You two represent the Fire Nation of today, Firelord Zuko and Firelday Mai". Kanna said with a smile,"You represent the new nation and I don't have an ill feelings toward the both of you".

"Thank you, Kanna". They said in unison.

"So, Sen. Did you meet Hama again?". Suki asked who was getting curious.

"Yeah, I did". Sen smiled as he poured himself a cup of tea,"I tracked her down at a local inn in one of the Fire Nation rural areas".

That's when, Katara, Sokka, Aang and Toph all looked at each other.