Chapter Nineteen

Zuko came to the table that morning and watched as everyone ate, he watched the scene carefully and realized something. Sokka and Suki were together, Aang and Katara were together, Lao and Poppy were together and even him and Mai were together. Sen and Toph were the only ones that were single, that little detail got him thinking about coming up with something.

"Morning, everyone". Zuko said.

"Morning, Firelord Zuko". Lao said.

"Please, have a seat". Poppy said.

Zuko smiled and slowly sat down. He didn't have a lot of options right now, he knew he just had to go through with this. He knew the offer that he was gonna throw Lao's way was not gonna be taken seriously but he had to try.

"Toph, will you join us later to meet the Tai Goru family?". Poppy asked,"They have a son and I was hoping you would like to get to know him better".

"I can't, mom". Toph said.

"Why not, young lady?". Lao asked.

"I have a metalbending class to teach later on, alright? That's why I can't make it". Toph said.

"You will not abandon this meeting and ruin our reputation!". Lao said.

"Hey, you can't tell me what to do! It's my life, I decide how I run it and how it goes. Not you!". Toph said before getting up and leaving the table.

"Toph!". Lao called after her.

"I'm sorry, everyone. Not our greatest moments". Poppy said.

"It's okay". Aang said trying to break the tension that Toph left behind in the room.

"I'll go talk to her". Katara said, getting up and leaving as well.

"I apologize for this". Lao said,"I don't usually do this in front of guests".

Zuko knew this was the right time to strike. He was vulnerable and Zuko knew that he had a better chance at making him agree with anything in this state. Azula was starting to rub off on him.

"Mr Beifong, maybe I can help you with this problem". Zuko spoke up.

Lao looked up at Zuko with calculating eyes,"What do you have in mind?".

"Toph was in a bitter mood since this whole thing started. She is not too keen on spending the rest of her life with a stranger, she will feel cornered and not have the independency that she is looking for". Zuko said.

"What do you suggest?". Poppy asked.

"Let Toph marry someone who she might be comfortable with, in this way her independence will not feel threatened. This way she might even go through with the wedding". Zuko said.

"What do you mean?". Sokka asked.

" Where will I find someone who Toph is comfortable with?". Lao asked.

"Her friends. Originally I would have volunteered Sokka or Aang for this position but they are already spoken for". Zuko said,"So, I would recommend that you let Toph marry Sen instead".

"What?!". Lao exclaimed.

"Zuko, what are you talking about?". Mai asked.

"Sen is the perfect person for the position and is someone that Toph trusts and feels comfortable with". Zuko explained.

"Sen is a good young man, I agree". Lao said,"But he is an airbender, a nomad. That means that he is not at our level of standing. It would ruin our reputation, I don't think this is a good idea".

"Social standing? Sen is actually part of the Royal Family back in the Fire Nation, he is a Royal Liaison for the family itself". Zuko said,"My great grandmother, Firelady Hirohitaba made Sen part of the family and has treated him with love and respect over the years".

"But Sen is over a hundred years old". Lao said,"I'm basically marrying my daughter to an old man".

"At least an old man in a young teenage body. Not like the older suitors you had in store for her". Sokka spoke up.

Lao sighed.

"It would be nice to have our daughter marry into royalty". Poppy said,"Think of all the benefits that come with that arrangement".

"Ms Beifong is right". Aang spoke up to help convince Lao,"Your family will benefit a lot from this. You could even become one of the most powerful nobles in the Earthkingdom".

Mai then jabbed Aang in the ribs to which he yelped, he turned and looked at her with a glare.

"Don't push this out of proportion". Mai whispered.

"Fine". Aang said.

"Think about this, Mr Beifong". Zuko said.

"I have, Firelord Zuko". Lao said,"I accept your arrangement".

Zuko smiled,"Mr Beifong, you will not regret this decision".

            ..................................

"You what?!".

"Alright, Sen. Calm down". Aang spoke up.

"Don't tell me to calm down!". Sen said,"You can't expect me to do what you want me to do, this is wrong".

"Look, we had no choice. I only did what I thought was right". Zuko said,"Toph has been having a rough time".

"You don't think I know that. Her parents want to marry her off to old guys". Sen said.

Sokka smirked,"Look who's talking".

"Hey, I'm 118 but I still retained my good looks". Sen said.

"You're actually biologically 18". Zuko said.

"That's not the point". Sen sighed.

"Look, Toph doesn't want to get married and we get that. But she might reconsider if she learned that she was marrying someone that she knew". Aang said.

"Does Toph know?". Sen asked.

"Suki, Mai and Katara are talking to her right now". Sokka said.

"Guys, this is ridiculous and crazy". Sen said.

"I know". Zuko smirked,"That's why I did it. To save Toph".

Sen smiled at him. He had to respect Zuko for that, he was only doing what was right for his friends and it always turned out well.

           .....................................

"I told you that I don't want to get married!". Toph exclaimed as she paced her room.

"Toph, this is also about the reputation of your family". Katara said.

"Look, Sugarqueen. You can tell me a hundred stories but it's not going to change a thing". Toph said.

"Toph, Sen is not going to marry you just for his own benefit". Suki said,"He's marrying you so that you don't get married to some old guy".

Toph smirked at this,"Doesn't he qualify as an old guy too?".

"Somehow". Suki answered.

"The point is, if you marry Sen then you increase your family's reputation, you still keep your independence and you don't have to do something in return for him". Mai said.

"Sounds about right". Toph said,"So, Sen and I are only gonna do this for friendship reasons".

"Yes!". The other three girls said in unison.

"Fine. But I'm not gonna give him kids for this". She said, still not liking the idea.

"Oh, kids are the last thing on Sen's mind right now". Katara said.

Toph smirked at this. She blew a few bangs out of her face as she turned to face Katara.