Chapter Twenty

Two days passed and Lao had rejected other potential grooms that had come for Toph's hand in marriage, they were all surprised when he rejected all their proposals. Now, the Beifong family were hosting an engagement ceremonial party for the soon to be weds. Toph was still not keen on the idea of getting married to Sen, sure he was one of her friends and she was comfortable around him but the idea of being around him for the rest of her life was frightening.

Sen was in his room that day, he was putting on the final finishing touches to his clothing for the party. He had to look his best because it was important to uphold the image of the Beifongs, Lao was okay with him keeping his white hair because he felt it made Sen look unique and made him stand out.

"What do you think?". Sen asked as he turned to face Aang.

Aang who was fixing his robes, looked up and smiled at seeing his older friend look nervous.

"Fix the sash". Aang said observantly before going back to fixing his robes.

Sen returned to the mirror and started to fix the sash around his waist. The door to his room opened and Zuko and Sokka walked in, they were laughing as they entered.

"I'm telling you that I can eat four spicy dumplings without shedding a single tear". Sokka said.

"A firebender said that once and he almost burned his tongue off". Zuko said.

"Maybe because he didn't know the right strategy". Sokka said.

"You don't need strategy when you eat". Zuko stated.

"Hey, are you two done?". Sen asked as he combed his hair perfectly.

"Oh. Looking good, Sen". Sokka said.

"It's a top notch party, Sokka". Sen said,"You have to up your game, always".

"Yeah, Sokka and the word "up" don't go together". Zuko said.

Aang laughed.

"Let's just go already". Sokka said,"Mai is gonna kill us if we're late".

              ................................

Katara moved around the estate making sure everything was perfect, she was about to go back in the house when she bumped into Aang who held her close.

"Aang?".

"Finally, I've been looking for you everywhere". Aang said.

He kissed her shoulder before going up her neck, slowly emitting a gasp from her.

"Aang, we can't do this right now". She said, letting out a small laugh.

"I haven't seen you all morning today". Aang said,"I deserve some time with my girl".

"After I'm done". She said as she felt him kissing her neck intently,"But right now, I need to make sure the food is perfect for the guests".

Aang sighed,"Fine".

"I'll make it up to you later". Katara said.

She gave him a quick peck before removing his arms from her waist.

Aang watched her walk away with a smile.

"Guess Sokka's advice worked".

Toph was sitting on her chair before she felt someone coming her way, it was her mother.

"Sweetie, what are you doing here?". Poppy asked,"The guests will be here any minute, you need to be in your respective seat by then".

"I know, mom. I know". Toph said as she made her way to her respective seat.

The seat next to her was empty.

"Where is Sen?". Poppy asked.

"I heard Zuko and Sokka were going to get him". Toph said.

A servant passed by and Poppy quickly stopped him.

"Do you require assistance, madam Beifong?". The servant asked.

"Go and find Sen and tell him to come to his seat. The guests will be here soon". Poppy said.

The servant bowed and quickly left.

             ................................

Half an hour later, Sen made his way through the halls until he came to the large room that was used for hosting parties. He saw Toph sitting on a decorated seat and the one next to her was just as decorated, he whistled a tune before sitting down next to her.

"Took you long enough". Toph said without facing him.

"Well, I would have been here sooner if Sokka hadn't stopped by the kitchen on the way here". Sen said.

"Yep, that's Snoozles for you". She smirked.

"You look amazing". He smiled.

"I guess you don't look bad either". Toph said,"But hey, what do I know?".

Toph had a jade green dress on with gold outlines on specific areas of it, she had a golden arm band on her right arm and had a slit on the right side of her dress. Her hair was in a bun but the rest of it ran down her back, her face was even a detail of beauty at that moment.

Sen wore his Liaison clothing which were high profile, they were red in colour and had gold outlines. His hair had grown longer over the year so he decided to take a small top knot and let the rest of his hair run down his neck. Sen was good looking in every aspect and Poppy was glad that it was him who was marrying her daughter instead of some old man.

"How long do we have to stay like this on these seats?". Toph asked, already getting uncomfortable on her chair.

"I don't know". Sen said,"Probably until the guests arrive".

Toph groaned from this.

"Well, at least we got each other". Sen said.

Toph laughed at that,"What's so special about that?".

"Well, we're friends. We always have each other's backs". Sen said.

"Well, does our friendship also allow that we marry each other?". Toph asked in curiosity.

"Hey, Zuko pinned this on us. Not me". Sen said.

"Calm down, feathered feet. I'm just messing with you". Toph said.

Then Poppy walked in again, she smiled when she saw Sen sitting next to Toph.

"Oh, you are here. Now, you two stay put and don't go anywhere until the guests arrive". She said before leaving.

"Yeah, I'm not gonna do that". Toph said getting up and walking away.

"Toph, wait!". Sen said,"We have to stay put".

"Yeah, you do that like a good little dog while I get something to eat". She replied.

"You'll ruin your make up". Sen said, getting up and following her.

"What a nightmare it'll be". She said sarcastically.

"Do you always have to be like this?". He asked.

"Yes".