Chapter 40

I woke up early the next morning to find Draco still dead asleep. After everything he's been through, I decided to let him sleep for a little longer. So I quietly got out of bed and made my way across the hall to my old room where I luckily left some of my clothes last year.

I grabbed a pair of leggings to change into and left Draco's shirt on. Once I was done I made my way through the manor and down the stairs to the living room.

I was surprised to find Narcissa and Severus sitting on the couches once I entered the living room. They both turned to me, and Narcissa gave me a warm smile.

"Good morning Haley." Narcissa finally said. "Would you like some breakfast?"

"No thank you." I smiled at her then turned to Severus.

"I'll let you two talk." Narcissa said getting up and leaving the room.

I took her place on the sofa across from Severus and sighed.

"I didn't think Draco would ever do it." I said after a few moments of silence. "But I never thought it would be you to do it in the end."

"Dumbledore asked me to." He explained shocking me.

"What?"

"He knew Draco was assigned to kill him. But we didn't want Draco to become a killer." He told me.

"So he asked you to do it instead." He nodded at that. "So he knew that Draco's a Death Eater, but why was he surprised to see us on the tower?"

"He was surprised to see you because I didn't tell him about you." Severus sighed. "He was under the impression that you didn't even know about Draco. That in the end you would be joining Harry."

"So what now then?" I asked.

"What do you mean?"

"What's going to happen?" I asked. "I mean Harry knows about us three now. I'm sure he'll tell everyone. And what about Draco? I mean he didn't fulfil his task like he was supposed to."

Severus placed a copy of today's Daily Prophet on the table in front of me. It was an article about last night about Dumbledore's death. But it didn't say anything about Severus being the one who killed him or anything about Draco and I. Just that Death Eater's attacked Hogwarts and Dumbledore died during the battle.

"If Harry told anyone then it was only the people he most trusted." Severus told me as I read the paper. "And as for Draco, we had a meeting last night. The Dark Lord wasn't very happy that Draco didn't do it."

"Oh, no." I gasped.

"But he isn't going to kill him since Dumbledore still died in the end." He told me much to my relief.

"Thank Merlin." I sighed. "So what will we do from here on out?"

"Well for now you are to stay here at the manor until the Dark Lord needs you again." He told me.

"And what are you going to do?" I asked him.

"I've got some stuff to do this summer, so just stay here. I'll bring some of your belongings to you from the house." He explained.

"Okay." I sighed looking away.

"What's wrong?" Severus asked. "I thought you would be excited to stay with Draco."

"I just feel like you're leaving me in the dark right now." I told him.

"Haley, I just don't want to involve you anymore than you are." He sighed. "I didn't want you to become a Death Eater but you did. And it's my fault. So just stay out of it until you are told."