Wake up

"No, his name is Jeon Jungkook. He had an accident at work and hit his head."

Fingers twirled into her own chestnut hair, she clicks her tongue at the younger male with a look of disdain she doesn't attempt to hide. With a discourteous eyebrow raise, the front desk nurse turns back to her keyboard and types the name again. Both eyebrows raise now with the results of her new search and she hums, the sound anything but reassuring. "And you have visitation rights? I'm not seeing that here."

Jimin rolls his eyes incredulously. "His mother asked me to come."

"She's his emergency contact?"

"Yes."

The nurse smirks as if she's caught him in a lie, giving him a once over with nothing but mistrust in her eyes. "I'll just give her a call."

As she picks up the phone and backs away from the desk, Jimin squints his eyes at her. He gives her a nod even after she looks away and he watches her dial before taking the chance to look at his own surroundings. Another white hospital with big windows to keep the lobby of people inside of it in high spirits. Scattered paintings cover the empty spaces on the walls, offering splashes of yellows and golds, pinks and greens. The flowers and landscapes contrast nicely with the paper walls and marble floors, but everyone inhabiting the waiting area is solemn.

Outside, the sky is masked with grey clouds. It seems to mirror the anxiety continuing to build in Jimin's chest and he flicks his gaze back to the nurse who's now muttering into the phone.

"No problem, ma'am."

Her lips are pressed into a thin line when she moves back to the front desk, clacking her polished fingernails on the top of it with evident annoyance. Jimin isn't really sure what he's done to bother her so much, but it doesn't matter when she points him down a hallway and towards the nearest elevator.

"Take it up to floor three. Room 317 will be on the left."

Jimin nods with a forced smile. "Thanks." He mutters under his breath and takes his leave down the hallway. "Visitation ends at nine!" Her voice trails behind him and he glances down at his phone in his hand. 2:38pm. He'll have to make the hours count for something, whatever that means. The thought of returning the next day tumbles around in his mind and he wonders what the purpose of his presence is supposed to be. If he's meant to be there when Jungkook wakes up then what if he isn't? Would this be a waste of his time if that were the case?

The gears of the elevator sound a lot like Jimin's clustered thoughts, grinding against each other in an attempt at problem solving. His environment brings about a sense of deja vu, clouding his mind with flashbacks of Jungkook in a hospital bed and some of their most monumental experiences together. He's zoned out, flipping through the hefty catalogue of memories to do with the present, when the elevator reaches the third floor. It isn't until a heavy sigh catches his attention and whisks him back to reality that he realizes how much of an impact he needs to prepare himself to face. Jimin apologizes with a weary smile and steps around a tall gentleman holding the elevator door open for him, a forlorn expression on his wrinkled skin. He forgets to thank the man, his mind wandering back to how completely unprepared he is to see Jungkook.

Especially Jungkook in this scenario.

It's quite possibly the worst scenario he could've come up with even on his own. Seven long years of no communication with the man, spent building up his own life and relationships apart from everything and everyone back home, all leading up to this encounter. He feels confident in his craft, successful, proud even. He did it alone, and it's exactly what Jungkook wanted for him. A part of Jimin understands the bigger picture that his ex lover was looking at all along. They were so dependent on being together. It's likely that his success would've never happened at all because of how much they fostered an anxious attachment with one another.