Unsteady

"Baby, it's nothing. He's the rational parent, don't let his tough guy act get to you." Jimin's hands slide around Jungkook's waist, the two of them slinking around a corner at the end of the hallway, completely out of earshot of his parents. Jimin can feel the tension ease from the others muscles under his fingertips, rubbing him softly through his button up shirt. Jungkook looks so handsome, suited up casually with a pair of jet black dress pants and shoes to match, ditching the jacket so he wouldn't overdo it. Jimin opted for something much simpler, appearing underwhelming in comparison to his significant other, but he can't find the energy to mind it anyway. The faded crease in Jungkooks brow is still there, only faded. Jimin creases his own to match.

Jungkook isn't shaken by the warning, by the defensive nature of Jimin's parents and their opposition when it comes to marriage. He expected more words, less mulling over the right words to say, but he didn't expect to feel the concrete foundation of his entire relationship with Jimin to be jostled like this. A feeling taking up way too much space in his chest, pressing against his conscious without much warning. He really didn't expect to feel like this. In Jimin's parents home, in the company of a happy and warm couple, long married and solid, Jungkook can feel the weight of his decisions thus far, every one of them falling upon his shoulders like a bag of bricks. Even with all of the sudden extra weight, he manages a reassuring smile, one that immediately erases the increasing wrinkles in the smallers forehead. Jungkook leans in to press a kiss there, stalling his lips against the smooth skin to feel this close to Jimin for just a couple of moments longer. He folds the boy into his arms and feels the hands on his waist slide around him to hold onto him just as tight. Home, wherever they go. Jimin is home and Jimin is safe.

Jimin deserves a happy life and a fulfilling marriage. Just like he's always known from his parents. Suddenly, this thought in particular makes Jungkook feel cold.

"You okay?" Jimin mutters into the crook of Jungkooks neck when he feels him sigh softly.

Jungkook pulls away, feeling as if he's letting go of the only thing shielding his thoughts from the corruption of anxiety, it's claws quickly sinking into the soft tissue of his brain. He smiles down at Jimin, nodding with a small but convincingly certain yes and watching the small hand slide into his larger own. He lets Jimin lead him back into the kitchen without anymore confirmation, back to his parents and his stomach churns again at the determined expressions on their faces the moment they cross the threshold into the room. They hadn't been the only ones having a private conversation.

Fidgeting silence fills the empty spaces in conversation, four bodies unsure of what to say now when the news is out and hasn't fallen on optimistic ears. Jimin's father clears his throat and steps away from the kitchen island, lazily waving his hand for everyone to follow. Without a word spoken, they gather into the dining area, a smaller room with a grand table in its center, perhaps the reason it appears so confined. Jimin sits down first at the table, aware of his parents inability to show face for very long before they feel the need to showcase their own opinions. Jungkook slinks down into the chair beside him, distancing himself in a way that seems unnatural to Jimin by leaning away from him with his hands in his lap. Jimin attributes this to the uncomfortable vibe of their mixed company, but his stomach sinks at the thought of it still. Before he can even reach for Jungkooks hand, his parents take their places across from them, proving true Jimin's predictions. He isn't surprised, but an odd form of concern balls up inside of his throat.

"Let's talk about this."

The four words Jimin didn't want to hear, his thoughts becoming defensive at the slightest inkling of disagreement. "You don't want us to get married." He states it as a fact, so his mother doesn't have the opportunity to beat around the bush any longer. "I know."