1

The clicking sound of my beige stiletto heels on the white marble tiles of the floor announces my arrival.

"Good morning, ma'am," my receptionist greets me.

I nod in acknowledgment as I walk across the lobby. The employees halt, making sure they don't cross my path. Each of them greets me as I go straight to the elevator specifically for my brother Mason, me, and Mom.

The digital screen shows the number twenty in bright red. Looks like either Mom or Mason... or maybe both have arrived before me.

I press the button and wait, tapping my foot on the ground as I run the pad of my thumb up and down the strap of my purse.

At last, the elevator's door slides open, and I step inside. Ascending, I turn and watch my building. Like a proud mother, a smile tugs at the corners of my mouth.

My empire. Made by my hard work and sacrifices.

With a ding, the elevator comes to a halt and I spin on my heels and saunter out, heading straight to my office, at the end of the floor, with the mahogany double doors.

I walk past my assistant's desk, not stopping for her, but I hear the clicking sound of her heels as she hurries after me.

"Good morning, ma'am," Erika breathlessly says. "You have a guest waiting for you inside."

I halt immediately and twist to face her. "A guest?" I quirk an eyebrow.

She nods and stops a step away from me. "Yes, ma'am, Mr. Johnson wanted to meet you, he said it was something important and that he'd wait for you in your room."

I purse my lips and nod curtly, running my hand over my peach-colored shirt and fixing the hem over my white trousers.

"I'm sorry ma'am, I couldn-"

I wave my hand dismissively and she stops midsentence. "Have you prepared the list of my meetings and set their reminders?"

Erika nods.

"Good, you can leave."

With that, I turn and in a few long strides, cross the remaining space and reach my room.

Just as I enter, I'm faced with his back, as he pours a drink for himself.

"You're late," Nathan says and turns around, offering a smug smile.

His dirty blond hair is neatly combed back, and his electric blue eyes glint under the fluorescent light. He has loosened his tie from around the collar of his light blue button-up and rolled up the sleeves of his shirt too.

I huff and shut the door behind me as I march to my desk and drop my bag on it. "And you weren't supposed to come today," I point out and glare at him.

"Sorry, babe, you know I can't resist staying away from you." He rounds the desk, putting down his glass of water. Nathan encircles his arms around my waist, pulling me to himself.

I roll my eyes, huffing, but don't get the chance to complain as he leans down and captures my lips with his, kissing me slowly.

I nudge him away. "Don't ruin my make-up, it's not even nine," I complain and untangle his arms from around me.

He sighs but I ignore it and sit behind my desk. "So, the reason for your early morning visit?" I arch an eyebrow at him as he grudgingly plants himself on the chair across from me.

"I've thought about it a lot, Gracie... don't you think it's time to make things official between us?"

I groan and throw my head back. "We've been over this a hundred times already."