3

My mind remains utterly blank while I stare at the evil duo. Mason's knuckles turn white as he fists his hands, his jaw clenching impossibly as he glares at William and Kristian.

"With all due respect, Mr. William Wright," Mason mutters through gritted teeth, his eyes bulging with anger. "But what the fuck?" his voice raises.

I instantly grab his fist, giving it a squeeze to remind him to shut the hell up.

At last, I find my voice. "I don't understand how marriage has anything to do with our partnership. We can sign a contract, or discuss giving you shares."

"True, but no offense Gracie, you're a Stewart too, that man's niece, hence I don't trust you. This marriage will not only make it impossible for you to double-cross us, but it will fix my son's reputation, too. I don't need your money or your company's shares. This is what I want in return for my unconditional support, as you bring down your uncle and avenge all the wrongs he has done to you and your family."

The smug smile plastered on Kristian's stupid face tickles my palm to slap it off of his face.

"No," Mason shakes his head defiantly. "This is absurd and you, sir, have gone mad. My sister won't ruin her life-"

"Mason," I cut him off sharply and turn back to William. "Is this offer negotiable?"

During these four years, I've come to realize, you can't change someone's mind if they're set on doing something they believe will have the maximum profit for them. And a man like William is impossible to sway, no reason to waste my breath on that either.

"No, I've told my lawyer to prepare the contract and we have it with us. Of course, you're free to check it with your lawyer, add clauses to it, but the marriage part is a must. If you refuse to comply, we don't have a deal."

I grab Mason's hand, ignoring his wide eyes. "I see. Excuse me and my brother, we need to discuss this matter in private." I raise to my feet, pulling Mason with me.

"Of course, take as much time as you need." William smiles at me, although it doesn't hold an ounce of kindness.

Kristian's eyes follow me like a satisfied hawk eyeing its prey.

At least, on the bright side, I didn't let Mom witness this mad offer of his, otherwise, she would have brought hell down on him.

I drag Mason out of the room with me, and just as the doors of the conference room shut, he shouts, "What the fuck?"

"Not now," I snap and let go of his hand, marching to the closest empty room, making him follow behind me.

He slams the door shut. I walk to the other side of the small meeting room, pushing aside the blinds, and gaze at the busy street underneath, bustling with life, people, and their troubles.

"Don't tell me you're considering this bullshit," Mason's voice draws my attention away from the busy street and I turn to him.

I shrug and lean to the wall next to the window. "You have any better options?" I cross my arms in front of my chest.

"You've gotta be fucking kidding me now!" he bellows.

I roll my eyes. "Jeez, stop being so dramatic."

"I'm being dramatic? That asshole has the nerve to say something like that and I'm being dramatic! At this point, I don't even know what's worst! Him offering that shitty deal or you considering to accept it," he yells, a vein standing out on his neck as his face flushes with anger.

I huff and pinch the bridge of my nose.

"Can't you see how much it sucks! He wants to use you for his son. He wants you to give yourself and five years of your life up for his asshat of a son." He waves his hand around as he rages on.