44

~Three months later ~

Mom and I, with our arms locked, descend the jet's stairs leading to the ground. Her heels click while my sneakers squeak. The pleasant weather, with the sun shining brightly in the middle of the sky, brings a smile to my face.

I most definitely won't miss London's weather, with its unreasonably chilly days and heavy downpours. I like rain, but not that frequently, not to mention I hate wind.

Mason is standing a few paces away from the building of the private jet airport, with his arms raised, holding up a placard I can't read.

We cross the ground and my smile turns to a scowl when I see what he's written on it.

'Welcome back, Grassy.'

"Grassy!" He throws the placard away and throws his arms around me in a tight hug, squeezing me and lifting me off the ground.

I squeal and slap his back.

"I missed your snobby ass back at the office." He laughs and puts me down before giving Mom a brief hug.

I roll my eyes, fixing my hair, and smoothening my shirt.

"You've got fat by the way." He drapes his arm around my shoulder as we enter the airport, heading straight to the exit doors. A man carries Mom and I's suitcases, scurrying behind us.

"You're an ass," I mutter under my breath.

"Mason," Mom says his name like she's scolding a ten-year-old.

I bite my lip to stop myself from laughing.

"What? She has. See." He pinches my cheek as though proving his point.

I swat his hand away and glare at him as he laughs it off.

"Any special plans for lunch?" Mason asks as we step out of the airport, leading us to the black Mercedes waiting for us, with its door held wide open by the drive.

Mom climbs in first and I follow her, Mason sits on the passenger seat, and the car sets into motion.

"Not really, I think it'd be best if we just go home. But can you send someone to pack a few things for Gracie, she'll be staying with me until we leave," Mom says.

I sigh and twirl a strand of my hair around my finger. Until we leave for my wedding.

The thought itself is horrifying. I can't believe it, we're eight days away from the big day.

I draw in a sharp shaky breath.

The past three months went by too quickly. Mom didn't let me work, not one bit. All I did was focus on my physiotherapy, exercise, stay healthy and rest.

She also forbade Mason from saying anything work-related to me.

But now we're back and she can no longer stop me. "So how's work been, Mason?"

Mom's gaze snaps to me but I fix my attention on Mason.

He shifts slightly on the front seat to face me. "We'll talk about it when we reach Mom's place. I'll tell you everything, I promise."

I squint at him with suspicion but nod anyway.

Mom and Mason carry on talking about light topics and I zone out, gazing out of the window as the car takes us to the heart of Manhattan and straight to Mom's place. My mind travels miles away from us.

Even though I hate to admit it, a huge part of me is curious about what Spencer's been up to.

The letter is the last thing I got from him and ever since then, it's been nothing.