57

Spencer comes up with a solution. I don't particularly agree with it, but I don't stop him either.

He calls his lawyers, and I call mine, Sophia, and we disclose the information to them so they can suggest a few practical plans and tactics for facing Benjamin.

Both of them tell us to inform the cops and let them handle it.

Spencer, being more than willing to do that, did not bother to consider my worries and told Sophia to inform the cops, just in case Benjamin is keeping a close eye on me and Spencer.

The rest, however, doesn't move as Spencer demands. He increasingly becomes more perturbed with each passing second, even tries talking me out of the plan the cops come up with, but to no avail.

I like the plan they suggest, unlike him.

We tell my mom and Mason, both express the same worry as Spencer, and are as unwilling as him, but I pay them no heed.

The day goes by with tension at its peak and a flurry of movements and planning.

The morning arrives, and slowly anxiety creeps its way into my system. Spencer doesn't leave my side for one second. When the time comes for me to leave the house, Mom and Mason's worried faces, and tight hugs barely do anything to ease my apprehension.

I'm scared Benjamin has found out about our plans, and the fact that I didn't keep his letter a secret. All I can hope for is everything moves smoothly and according to our plan. If something happens to anyone, I won't ever be able to forgive myself.

Spencer drives me, his palm never leaves my thigh during the entire ride like he's holding on to me and fears I'll disappear any second. Though he's no longer expressing his concerns, I can see the unease in his eyes, and the deep creases on his brow from his worried frown.

I can't be too hard on him either. For a fact, if our places were reversed, I wouldn't have let him go along with it either.

"Everything will turn out okay," I say, reassuring both of us as we near the location.

He expels a deep shaky breath and intertwines our fingers. "I still don't want you to confront him alone."

"But I'm not alone, Spencer," I softly point out.

He throws a sharp glance at me, irritably he mutters, "You know what I mean."

At last, he halts the car at the location we settled at for changing the car. I'll be driving ahead alone.

"You don't have to do this, you know that, right? It's not too late to-" he begins, turning to me with frantic eyes.

"I want to," I interrupt him and hold his anxious gaze.

He purses his mouth before nodding and kissing my knuckles.

My heart swells yet a sharp pang shoots through it. I hate I'm putting him through this state of fear, but it has to be done.

The cops and agents have surrounded the area, they also gave me microphones last night to attach to my clothes as discreetly as I could. I hid them in the back of the necklace's pendant I'm wearing.

I'm supposed to provoke Benjamin to spill the truth, admit whatever crimes he has committed. The second he does, the police will storm the place and take him away.

The possibility of things going wrong, and matters getting out of control is almost impossible.

Spencer presses a long, searing kiss to the center of my palm. "Come back to me safe and sound, okay?"

I grin at him. "I promise I'll be back in one piece before you know it." I lean over to him and brush my lips against his. "I love you."

"I'm holding you up to your words, Rae," he breathes out unevenly, his hand cupping my cheek. "Please be careful."