19

My driver takes me to the airport. To my utmost horror, a navy-blue Aston Martin is parked in the middle of the area. The figure leaning to it... I can recognize it even in impossible situations.

Just as the car halts, I throw open the door and climb out.

Spencer doesn't even bother to push himself off the hood of the car, only looks over his shoulder and a smug smile curls his lips as I storm to him.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I stand in front of him and cross my arms.

He shrugs. "You're five minutes late."

My mouth hangs open as I silently fume.

"I believe I told you I'll be joining you," he pointedly adds.

I close my eyes and inhale deeply to get a grip over my temper. "Why are you making things ridiculously hard for both of us?"

"Am I?" he feigns surprise, drawing his brows together and tilting his head to one side. "I'm just ensuring you don't cause trouble for us."

I grind teeth and fist my hands, inhaling slow deep breaths through my nose. "I'll make you regret messing with me," I mutter, jabbing my index finger at him.

Spencer, at last, pushes himself off of the car's hood and locks his eyes with me. Taking a large stride towards me, he closes the space between us. "Do your worst, though don't expect me to be surprised, because I wouldn't put past you to do anything. But don't forget, if you punch me, I'll throw a harder punch."

He walks past me. "You think I don't know you'll try to dig up William's dirt too? That you'll try to figure out how he reached this information?"

I spin on my heels and stare at his back as he heads straight to my jet.

"Gracie, you're too predictable. It's almost boring," he pauses and turns around. "Why are you standing there? Did you change your mind now that I ruined half of your plan?"

I press my mouth into a thin line and march past him, but not before declaring, "Anything is fair in war, and you asked for it yourself."

He chuckles as he follows, staying one step behind me.

With my chin held up, I climb up the stairs leading to the jet. It's a lie if I say I didn't think about finding connections between these shady people we're about to meet, and William.

I hate how well Spencer knows me. I have to change tactics. He's serious about not letting William suffer any losses because of me... but if I don't make him my shield in the battle between me and Ben, it might cost me too much. Not to mention I'm damn sure once this is all over, William will come after my business to ensure I don't become a prominent rival, a threat to Judy Corporation.

I take the seat furthest away from the door and buckle myself up, fixing my gaze out of the window on my side.

Spencer chooses a seat on the other side of the jet, the one facing me.

With a huff, I roll my eyes and fold my arms over my chest. This trip can't end fast enough.

For the five long hours of the plane ride, we successfully ignore each other and don't get into another round of argument. I busy myself with going through my company's documents and contracts, profits, and losses while Spencer does whatever the hell he wants on his laptop.

I sense his gaze on me from time to time, and I can't resist not looking at him either. Sure, now I hate his guts and everything, but damn. These years have only made him hotter. In the past five years, Spencer has aged like fine wine. He was handsome five years ago, he's breath-taking now.