58

Distant hushed voices pull me out of my deep slumber. Slowly, I open my eyes, and I'm greeted with harsh white light.

With every inhale, the overbearing scent of antiseptic burns my nostrils, but as I blink and the room with its white walls comes into my focus, Spencer is the first person I see.

The instant relief washing over his frowning face and tense posture bring a smile to my face.

Mom is the next as she cradles my hand. "Oh, Gracie, sweetie, you scared us again."

"I'm fine, Mom," I mumble as I press down a button on the side of the bed to propel me up. Spencer helps me, adjusting the pillow behind my back, before sitting back down on the stool next to my bed.

Mom wraps me in her arms, careful not to hurt my wounded side.

"I'm fine, Mom, really."

"You got shot," she snaps and tucks a strand of my hair behind my ear. "We told you it was a bad idea, but you never listen."

I huff a laugh but regret it as a sharp pain shoots down my arm and shoulder.

She sighs and shakes her head. "Mason was supposed to be here, I'll check when he'll arrive," Mom says, caressing my face before walking out and closing the door.

"The doctor said you got lucky, no permanent damages were done," Spencer explains, speaking for the first time since I woke up.

I turn to him, squinting. "Are you mad at me?" I ask, studying his pale features as I intertwine my good hand's fingers with his.

He releases a deep shaky breath. "Shaken, tired," he mumbles and wraps his arm around me, hugging me close to himself. His hand rests on my neck, right below my jawline as he kisses my temple.

"You really scared all of us," he whispers.

I lay my head on his shoulder, letting the calming sense that can only come from Spencer wash over me. "Sorry. But it was worth it, right?" I glance up at him on time as his gaze flickers down to me.

"I'm sure there were other ways too," he begrudgingly says.

"What happened? Did the cops catch him?" I ask and pull away to look at him easier.

"I think you should rest for now-"

"No! I want to know," I interject.

A small smile finally tugs the corners of his mouth, softening his features. "It's over, Gracie. Benjamin won't ever be a problem again."

My eyes widen with a pleasant surprise. "So they took him straight to prison?" I ask, excitement bubbling in me.

The smile vanishes from his face and he scrutinizes me for a long moment as though assessing what to say next.

I frown with confusion. "Something went wrong again?"

"Depends how you'd look at it... he tried to run away but they shot him."

I gasp. "Please don't tell me we're in the same hospital!"

He chuckles and shakes his head. "You're not, relax..." his voice trails down and he studies me closely. My frown deepens. "About that... he didn't reach the hospital. The third bullet killed him."

My mouth hangs open as I lean back to the soft pillow. "Benjamin is dead?"

Spencer nods, watching me warily.

With narrowed eyes, I hold his gaze. "Do you expect me to mourn him?"

He pushes his glances up and lifts a shoulder. "Honestly, I don't know what to expect... how do you feel?"